Lures less effective? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Lures less effective?

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Mullet (foul hooked)

Has anybody else found that after using Hard-as-nails on lures that they seem to be less effective ? Maybe due to change in how light reflects of them. I spent last week in Cornwall and had a whale of a time but noticed that some of my lures were less effective than before and compared to non-varnished ones.

2. Snapper

No Henry. I've never noticed any difference. There are so many different variables at play in fishing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sea Trout

I never touched your lures so you can't blame me

4. Pollock

I've never put any protection on one of my lures.This Naja is still effective.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pike

yes, it takes of the shine,ive cleaned off the ones i put a coat on.i used an acetone nail varnish remover to do this.it also asks the question about how long you should keepusing a lure when they start losing their colour due to hook rash

6. Striper

Used my old Komomo JFP for almost 2 years before it was "retired". Hardly recognise it next to a new JFP but it was still catching up to the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bass

Slightly off topic, but....popular lures become less effective the more popular they get, as the fish see them a lot on popular marks. Lures stay more effective when you find one very few people use...just a thought....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Striper

a lures action and how how much water time you give it is more important than how much colour/shine is left on it................

most folks will have very tatty lures they continue to use because they continue to catch, ive had mag popper 105's with almost no paint that continued catching, i never retire lures , just give them a new(crude) paint job occasionally

Tim, i recall someone having a theory about new designs only being effective for a year or two, then they stop catching... but become good catchers something like 7 years later.....................how you can prove it beats me, i think it was around the time of the xlayers and zclaws arrival...........

yet if you look at Bill's constant use of white redgill evo's /sluggills..............he is still doing the business with them on the same marks day in day out several years down the road , those bass must say to each other........."oh god, Mr cast ,plop, retrieve is back again" :muttley:

9. Pollock

Dont believe lures become less effective over time in saltwater. They just become less fashionable as the shiny new lures hit the market. I still catch on my favourites after years of use. As said red gill is still a winner, so is the patch, sf125 etc.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Pollock Supporting Member

I'd have thought that some days flash would be what they wanted, and other days not, depending on light conditions. Sometimes baitfish flash, but not always. predators still eat them whatever................... In freshwater the approach is usually to try flashy/imitative/bright/dark/outlandish colours until you find a pattern for the day. Perhaps they just wanted flashy on your trip to Cornwall, but next time?...........