The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on this? First let me describe the situation I faced today. I was fishing a mark in south Wexford today, with mixed rock, weed and sand, 6inch to 6 foot depth, strong rip going right to left (as well as the Souwest which as cracking along in the same direction). The only available casting position was above the good holding water so my presentation was going to be across and down.

I tried Z-Claw (I found it very hard to control), a TKF 130 (which a 4ish bass followed but I sensed lure not running quite deep enough), Surf Minnow, Texas rigged softy (with bullet and weight on shank - lost this), Zonk Gataride which seemed the best option but it kept picking up drifting weed. I eventually settled on a big pencil bait - a bright pink (only colour they had!) Tacklehouse TKR 130H HiFi. First tried with a clip but wasn't impressed with the action and it kept running over the line on the sweep. I took off the clip and tied direct and it was transformed - gentle tap gave a wide dog-walk with some belly flash. I was able to drift it and animate it right through the drift. On the straight retrieve back it had a nice slalom action. I had my 9 year old son with me and since he was in early stage hypothermia I only had time for a few casts with the 130H before leaving. Sure enough, on the 3rd last cast I worked it around a rock about 50 yards away at 10 o'clock from my position and got a hit. The fish wasn't big but landing it gave me great pleasure because I'd solved my presentation problem in those conditions. I'm sure a lot of you get as much buzz from the problem-solving as from the fish...

It got me thinking though - how would you guys tackle this situation?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I would use a soft plastic with a light jig head and bounce it through. But then I am an SP freak...

Well done on yur own problem solving!! I'm sure if you had more time it would have worked out with more fish.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A cross between the two I reckon. Baits like the Eclipse Variant Drift are made for it. Do very little and drift.... Or a softbait fished in the same way - a'la Keith's recent Senko articles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - had an opportunity to try the drifted Xlayer thing this morning - fish were quite shutdown and the only presentation that caught fish was hopped/drifted SP which touched the bottom. Started with the Giant and 1/2oz and dropped to 4" & 1/4oz Bachi as tide dropped. Tricky but absorbing fishing.

Ben - you must have some lure collection! Off course I now have to have one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts