The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had arranged to meet my regular fishing buddy last evening at 7pm to fish a mark that has produced two bass recently for him on peeler of around 5lb & 5.5lb. I arrived late at about 8pm to find five other anglers & my mate fishing along a stretch of the beach, all using bait. I've had a couple of good hook ups here a week or so ago on a lure & sidewinder eel, only to loose both bass just before beaching them. One appeared to be decent fish taking line from a tight drag.
It was two hours after low water & the tide was flooding over the sand & on to a boulder strewn area which is full of wrack. Surface lure first for an hour, then a 7" soft plastic through the wrack & boulders for the second hour, nothing. Then I stuck on a Duo Terrif DC-12 which was snaffled on the second cast, on landing the 2.5lb bass the lure which is 5" long was not visible & the fish was bleeding heavily. I am C & R mainly but this fish was table bound due to two sets of trebles stuck in it's gills :-( luckily it was 48 cms, our legal keeping size here is 43 cms. Less than half an hour later & another bass slightly smaller fell to the same lure.
What is interesting is that all the bait boys, including my very experienced mate got nothing & I had between one to three seals parked up in front of me all evening, one seal appeared so tame that I was casting my lure within six feet of it & over it's head & it was not phased at all. Usually they dive for cover if a lure lands near them, not this one & it caught a bass or sea trout (not sure which, but a bright silver fish) of around 3 to 4 lb & started bashing it on the surface to kill it & then lay there eating it whilst I carried on casting all around it.
An interesting session & another that makes me think seals in the area equals fish. Seals don't drive the fish away, the fish are used to dodging the seals & that is why the seals are there.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Nigel, I was beginning to wonder when the next IOM report was coming in!

Always good to see lures outfishing bait as well.

Its amazing how quick a change of lure can result in a fish. Its slightly worrying in some ways, makes you think of the amount of times you may have flogged an area thinking its barren, when in reality you just didn't put the right lure in front of them. Thats my excuse for carrying lots of lures!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark

The north of the IoM where I live & fish is very susceptible to lots of floating weed in the water for days after any sort of decent blow from any direction. So trips out to my favourite bass areas can be limited. I am going to try some new areas that are more sheltered from wind & weed when I get the time. But the bass only seem to be in the areas that are affected by the floating weed regularly.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Nice one Nige, glad to you hear you've got a fish this year!:wink:

I went down the sound this afternoon and swung some SPs (fergot my plugs!) around for two hours. Big fat blank!
I'll try to get down your way this week as discussed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts