The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chat with a friend in the pub last night about trebles on lures... In the good old days we used to talk about football and bo0bs... Not anymore, it's marks and tackle (fishing tackle of course).

If I buy a lure with 3 trebles I like to remove the middle one as so many times I've had to unhook the middle treble from an eye of the fish. Anyway, my pal has forgotten more than I know about fishing and he says I am wrong to remove the middle treble as most strikes are made from the middle to the head of bait fish and very rarely from behind. He thinks I should just remove the rear treble, but then that defeats the object of the exercise.

We must have a few hundred years worth of experience on this site, therefore, what do you chaps think?

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Surely if you remove a treble it will effect the way the lure swims?

If you de-barb the hook then it should not cause so much damage.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I agree that its often the middle treble that ends up in a bad place. Saying that, I have had a few fish that were more 'tail nippers' that I have hooked on the end treble. A compromise may be to use a single on the middle?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't say that I've noticed a chance in action on my lures, Nick, but you may well be right. I always de-barb.

Even if I replace the middle treble with a single I will still encounter the same problem on occasion, Mark?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
True, though it'll reduce the occurence. The other alternative is to just be done with the middle treble and use a wrap of lead solder on the ring to substitute the weight. It'd be interesting to experiment when there are lots of fish biting by taking off the back treble to see what ratio of hookups to hits you got.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I like the look of those large eyed hooks that are 'I think' in the Ultimate catalog.
If I can source them I may give them a try.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex, these are the same kind of weight as the majority of minnow trebles and won't affect the action?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We've removed middle trebles for years on alot of plugs.
Never stopped us catching fish but we do re-tune them anyway.

After C&R around 275 Bass this season on single barbless jigs and seeing the significant less amount of damage they cause over trebles.....

I might be reluctant to use trebles again TBH. There must be a better way ?

A de-barbed middle treble will still blind a fish.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
What do you suggest then Keith?

Could you weigh the treble hook, then maybe cut the hook points back to the main shaft where all 3 hooks meet, and then add lead tape around that to the required weight?

Or simply add a single hook, like the lads have said, and maybe add weight to that?

I agree that blinding a fish is a terrible thing, so an alternative would be very beneficial.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I'm in the process of changing all my plugs over to singles, just need another packet to finish them all off. I can't stand the damage a treble can inflict; I've seen them make a real mess of a fish's mouth.
Rapala Joe made the point about the small size of one individual hook on a treble - if we were bait fishing we wouldn't use such a weeny hook.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
What do you suggest then Keith?

Could you weigh the treble hook, then maybe cut the hook points back to the main shaft where all 3 hooks meet, and then add lead tape around that to the required weight?

Or simply add a single hook, like the lads have said, and maybe add weight to that?

I agree that blinding a fish is a terrible thing, so an alternative would be very beneficial.
We actually do chop back the hook and wrap a little wire around it to maintain balance and tracking + roll.
Normally though, to be fair, on suspending or slow sink, pull and rise lures.

Some cranking lures and especially 'waking' lures are better left naked at the middle treble.
We are currently thinking about assist fronts and no point siwash rear for some plugs.

How many Bass are honestly hooked either middle or rear treble ?
I can afford to lose all mine and I'd likely not notice it.

Of course, this is purely, a personal position I'm speaking from. As a C&R angler, any damage I can avoid is better.

I think a photo is the way, minimal damage to fish, away it goes and not scarred for life.

I spoke to Henry Gilbey about running a 'How to take a better fish photo seminar' and I for one would attend.
However, having a whole, not maimed in any way Bass or rockfish etc surely has to be the best starting block for subject matter.

I'm loathe to switch out to the plugs right now but...
If I do drop on a ton I'll do some experiments and report back.

if we were bait fishing we wouldn't use such a weeny hook.
But we should be.
Small hooks hold better on light lines, trust me.
Do less damage too and get more bites.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Talking about single assist hooks on lures - the guy I was popping with swears by the "Nomad" method ... this is a single hook off the front of the lure and maybe one from the back again on assist cord - need to test this out as this was for big mean GT's - stops the t bone effect and increases hook retention rate ... reduces the effect of a fish shaking it's head to shed the lure as there is minimal leverage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts