Lures you wont leave home without. | Page 4 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Lures you wont leave home without.

Discussion in 'Lures' started by {name}, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Striper

Caught on both but prefer the 12

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mackerel

It says its a sinking lure how fast does it sink ? My marks wont allow for a fast sinker :bangin:

3. Striper

They dont sink. They are meant to "suspend" but I think thats in freshwater. Mine float until your reel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mackerel

Ah i was reading sinking somewhere online , thank you for clearing that up:)

5. Sea Trout

If I had the link's I'd post them up , but check out through the back pages,,, there was some very good intel on here regards the 12 and intended application.
    If I remember there was also a Metal bib'd one ( RS)

6. Mackerel

Thanks Ryan il have a look ! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pollock

I hope you're right about the luck James, it's about time I got a return on my investment :D.

Regarding not losing them to snags do you just twitch them each time you feel them snagging up?

Sea temperature wise it's still dropping here and it's down to 7.5 degrees today but it should bottom out any time now, all we need is a mild spell to kick start the rise again ;).

Fingers crossed that 2017 is the year when we both finally break our duck then Kevin ;).

That's strange mate, from memory my DCs sink! :lolsign:

I'm just thinking about choosing my lures for this season so I'll chuck a couple in my selection to test them out.

8. Mackerel

Andy i just lift the rod tip in a sweep when i feel them coming over a rough area :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bass

Feed Shallow 155
    Red Gill Evo
    SGSE
    Dot Crawler
    Spindle Worm (Deadly at night)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pollock

Cheers James, that's pretty much what I've been doing so I'll keep working on it.

11. Sea Trout

Good shout Sean , my Evo Stix are getting neglected for no good reason, been very good to me in the past .
    How are you presenting your spindles?

12. Mackerel

Im yet to catch on the dot crawler :( what way are you fishing it ?

13. Bass

Weightless and dead slow james. I let the current do the work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mackerel

Thank you il try that :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mackerel

Great lure, There's two floating ones. I can't remember whether the one i have the the shallower one or the deeper one but I like to use it over relatively deep water. It has a hinged bib. The vibrations off it are unreal. After it lands I give it a good fast reel and sweep the rod back to get it working and dig in. I then pause hoping it's drawn the attention of some nearby fish and work it back in slowly, often the with the rod high as i get into shallower water. The bibs are a weak point but the lure is a joy to use imho
    my favs:
    23 gm sg eels
    fbm's
    zonk
    feed shallow
    patch 100

16. Mackerel

Il have to order a few :) great choice of lures there. Ive been using Do live sticks , sluggos , bakboo sticks and fbms mainly :)

17. Mackerel

I'd like to use straight tailed soft plastics more. It appeals to me but I haven't had much joy. Is the water clear where you use them? I don't to have much clear water where I fish. Maybe I just have more confidence in lures such as paddle tails and plugs that give off vibrations for this reason. I'd be interested to know if straight tailed softies work in murkier water? Or maybe it's a case of working the lure more with the rod to create the vibrations...?

18. Mackerel

I use them when its clear to relatively clear. I cant stress to fish them slow enough a 30yard cast should take over 5 minutes to get back when fishing sluggos. For the bamboo sticks its generally in darkness with a straight retrieve no action off the rod tip and just fast enough so they move just below the surface. The Dolive sticks are just a twitch bait a slow retrive with lots of little taps to get the tail moving. And as for the FBM its either bumping them in currents , straight retrieve or sink and draw.

19. Mackerel

That’s interesting, five minutes..wow! In fairness now I’ve only really tried the i-shad in earnest. Fished them weightless and more or less keeping in contact with the odd little twitch. Did get one fish on them but had a lot of blanks so gave up on them really. It is quite enjoyable fishing slow like that I think. I know some folk find it boring but there’s a kind of suspense imagining how the lure is working and just waiting for it to get hit. I dunno if you fly fish but fishing buzzers on the fly is quite similar ..very slow..just keeping in contact kind of thing.

Might try the dolive sticks at night this summer.

20. Mackerel

Il drop you a pm now :)