The Lure Forums banner

M/HRF gear - advice

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Mark Sleep 
#1 ·
I have a few quid available this month to spend on some new kit. I want a rod that will work 2" through 6" softies on 5-12g jigheads or even unweighted. needs to be about 7 foot and be sensitive to OTD and structure.

From trawling through various threads I have the following list:-

shimano beastmaster dropshot
shimano speedmaster dropshot
Teklon Concept Spin 702L
SG Bushwacker XLNT 3-18g
Cormoran TR4
Daiwa Infeet

I would also like to match a suitable reel with the rod any ideas?

Also what PE braid / brand would be reccomended for this type of setup.. was thinking something around the 0.6-0.8 PE range...

#3 ·
Which one Keith? Only difference I can find is price and carbon used in blank... Is the Speedmaster worth the extra cash????

Also what size reel would compliment it?? and would I be ok using 0.6 - 0.8 PE

#4 ·
ive got the beastmaster 7' dropshot nice rod for the£ cant fault it except for the hook keep is open and can snag the line, so tape it up if you get one fin, also got the tr4 2.4m 8-45g love it for medium stufflike small metals and the 2" &3" reins sort of stuff, reel size id say shim 2500 or 3000, hope that helps

#5 · (Edited)
Cheers,

Quite like the look of the lighter TR4, and the teklon and daiwa options - Wish I hadnt started looking into this now as there are so many options............ As in the OP i want as much sensitivity as possible. I dont really need to be able to chuck plugs with this rod - maybe a bit of topwater..

I have a Tenryu Red ultimate one which is quite long and very pokey so ideal for working sub surface plugs, also have the 8 foot bushwhacker 15-40g which is also more suited to hard plastics.

So need something to compliment what I have already.. I just dont have the feel with my current equipment.

I got myself a Berkley phaser 3-15g 7 foot for messing about with some lighter stuff, It does work but has a soft through action and the eyes are huge!! I think that If i hooked a wrasse of any more than 3lb I would be the owner of a 5 foot rod!! So for now I want a dedicated Medium to Heavy RF setup..

Eventually I will be in the market for a LRF solid tipped rod in the <1g to 7g range.

\o/ just noticed I have gone past 100 posts

#15 ·
I have just been on phone to Nicola @ Mr Fish and have a Shimano Beastmaster Dropshot, Cormoran Blackmaster, YGK braid 0.15 PE put aside for me... Looks like a nice little setup. Is the braid the right sort of thickness? Is 1.5PE too thick???

#18 ·
Yeah gone for 7 foot. Been using 1.8 pp on my plugging setup looking forward to trying the YGK. Need to stock up on jigheads and various soft plastics now.

Will tape up the hook keep straight away.

What length of FC leader is the norm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.