The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a decent mackerel imitation to catch bass with. The local mackies are very green on the top and upper sides, with very white bottom and lower sides. Any ideas for what would be a good match? I'm interested in both hard lures and SPs.

Also, should I try to match the size (10-14 inches) or should I go for something smaller (6inches)?

Any help is always appreciated.

Tony.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a decent mackerel imitation to catch bass with. The local mackies are very green on the top and upper sides, with very white bottom and lower sides. Any ideas for what would be a good match? I'm interested in both hard lures and SPs.

Also, should I try to match the size (10-14 inches) or should I go for something smaller (6inches)?

Any help is always appreciated.

Tony.
Rapala XRap 12 in the Mackerel pattern.
I think there is a slightly bigger size but the 12 is a chunky plug.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys,

Nigel, I had forgotten about the storm mackies. Has anyone tried those or the Kiddy (Sidewinder) Joeys? Do they catch bass from the shore?

Nick, How does the Xrap cast? and are they surface or diving? Do the bass like them?

Mike, I like the green mackerel pattern in the Mag Popper, looks like the local fish. Do they do a shallow diver in that colour? What's the action of the darter like? I'm not familiar with that lure. How would I use it? Do the bass like them?

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys,

Nigel, I had forgotten about the storm mackies. Has anyone tried those or the Kiddy (Sidewinder) Joeys? Do they catch bass from the shore?

Nick, How does the Xrap cast? and are they surface or diving? Do the bass like them?

Mike, I like the green mackerel pattern in the Mag Popper, looks like the local fish. Do they do a shallow diver in that colour? What's the action of the darter like? I'm not familiar with that lure. How would I use it? Do the bass like them?

Thanks again,

Tony.
Bass and others love them,they cast well and are well made.
The Mackerel pattern is stunning to look at,,,,,fishes well too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I wanted to hear Nick. I must get a packet and give them a try. I'll add them to the list.

Can I use them as a swim bait or should I be bouncing them along the bottom?

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have used the Storm 5 inch Mackerel casting from a boat into 20ft+ with success, though in the past they have been outfished by Sidewinders when fished simultaneously. That was of course in my crude, pre-rigged SP days!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mark,

Was that the sidewinder eels or the joey mackerels?

Thanks for the reply,

Tony.

PS, I like crude. The wife says I'm very good at it.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
It was the Sidewinder eels, always outfished the Mackerel and shad types, including sidewinder shads, despite the fact you'd more likely find shad shaped fish as opposed to eels where I catch. Still a brilliant and effective lure, whatever anybody says, and when I am struggling using more modern 'in fashion' SP's, I will always have utmost confidence in the humble Sidewinder. Though I also like the Savagegear eel, in Chartreuse.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that Mark. I've got a few sidewinder eels that I haven't used yet. Which colours are your favourite and have you had much luck with them from the shore?

I must get a couple of those yellow savage eels too.

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone tried the larger Tide Minnows in the mackerel patterns?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Yes, they are very good from the shore also, though I only really use them for truNdling over rough stuff in deep water. There are a couple of Jersey chaps on here fishing Sidewinders and they have had some BEASTS. Pearl, and Rhubarb and Custard are my favourites.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Diawa Salt Pro Minnow
150mm/31g comes in Green Mackerel colour. Nice "joey" plug.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mark.

Dave, Those Daiwas sound good. Nice weight too. Are they available in the UK? Do they catch?

Tony.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Gaz and Liam swear by the Sidewinder Macky, they do very well on it. I have never used one personally. Look at the size of the mouth on the big bass Gaz had recently, that Sidewinder is a snack for a fish like that eh.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that ****, Those Sidewinder Mackerel Joeys look the business. Anyone have much luck with the big Tide Minnows in the mackerel colour?

Anyone know if there a specific technique to use with the Sidewinder Mackerel Joeys? Sink and draw? Straight retrieve? Do they work from the shore? How do they cast? Are the bloodheads any better than the standard models?

Many thanks,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ry, I somehow seemed to have missed your post before. Thanks for the link. Are those tsunamis a bit more green in real life? They look mostly silver. The local fish are almost dark green and white.

Also, they are a fair weight. Do they cast well?

Thanks again,

Tony.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts