The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning,

I want to try an specifically target Mackerel off the top this year, has anyone here tried it before?

Were you successful?
Were you targeting Bass and was the Mackerel a bycatch?
What would size lure would you recommend? I was thinking in the 50mm bracket?

I reckon they would be great sport off the top on LRF tactics, and would make for some great pictures.

Danny.

·
Registered
519 Posts
not tried my self, but we will target the macs this year for sure on LRF gear, it'll be great fun, just remember not to handle the fish with bare hands if you intend on C & R .

kev

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Danny, had a few last year on late evening sessions as a by-catch. Had mackerel on a patchinko and mag popper (10cm). If I was going for them deliberately off the top, I would go for something small (50-90mm) with maybe a teaser fly or some flash on the treble. Perhaps a small Chug Bug would do the trick?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Last year I was trying silk loop tactics for gars. Had over 70 'on' in one short session but interestingly, a few mackerel screamed off with it too.

Something very small and bright I reckon 30 - 50 mm might be ideal.

They certainly hit surface stripped and stopped fry patterns when fly fishing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mackerel off the Top

Hello Danny, had a few on the Megabass Dog-X in the smaller size,(French Pearl) took it no problem. Great crack!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
A starting point is most of the lures mentioned in the 'Ultralite WTD Lure' thread in the tackle section. I cannot wait to target them personally. I think I'll be starting subsurface first, then migrate up on top.

I have only fluked a couple up top previously, but have never fished the small small lures

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yep, I'll be in to it as well this year. Should be great fun on the light stuff!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have done it a lot of times ( fly & plug poppers). But mostly just as it's getting dark. had one of thous magic nights a couple of summers ago. Just on high tide in the dark was working a mag popper and got a doz or so. Interesting thing is its the only time Ive caught mackerel in total darkness.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Like Tom above I have had alot of mac at dusk on poppers, for me its always been Bobs Bangers (fly) around 2 to 3" long. Great fun when the go off on the top, properly explosive.

Marty

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The scope for this sort of stuff is endless and I'm so pleased everyone here feels they talk about this on the forum.
Mackerel get a bad rep in some quarters but any saltwater fly angler will laugh...
Time to get the plug and lrf man in on the action i think.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If I ever get sick of catching mackerel its time to hang up the rods! One thing I will say but any time Ive fished UL for them never got as good fight of them as such:???: Yet give them some stick on slightly heavier gear and they pull like stink!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
If I ever get sick of catching mackerel its time to hang up the rods! One thing I will say but any time Ive fished UL for them never got as good fight of them as such:???: Yet give them some stick on slightly heavier gear and they pull like stink!
That is a very interesting observation Tom, I too find that with some fish, the more stick you give them the better they go. Smooth Hounds are one species I find that do that.

I will be looking to get some mackerel on the baby Patchinko and the Megabass Coayu Slide Sinker

Or the standard Dog-X

I once had two mackerel at once on a Rapala Skitter Pop 12cm, mental.

·
Registered
498 Posts
feathers must be classed as lures??, dont forget if they are there they will take anything that moves, float fished feather trace retreived must work for topwater

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
What size & weight are they **** ?
The Coayu Slide Sinker is 7g I think and about 70mm, and the Dox-X is about 80mm and if I remember rightly and 8g. They also do a Junior Dog-X that is about 70mm and 6g. My mate Jighead done well last year on them, as I said he had quite a few species and bass to over 6lb, awesome!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Has anyone tried a plug on the end of a few mackeral feathers rather than a weight? I've thought of this with one or two heavier diving plugs that might get some distance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts