The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning,

I want to try an specifically target Mackerel off the top this year, has anyone here tried it before?

Were you successful?
Were you targeting Bass and was the Mackerel a bycatch?
What would size lure would you recommend? I was thinking in the 50mm bracket?

I reckon they would be great sport off the top on LRF tactics, and would make for some great pictures.

Danny.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Danny, had a few last year on late evening sessions as a by-catch. Had mackerel on a patchinko and mag popper (10cm). If I was going for them deliberately off the top, I would go for something small (50-90mm) with maybe a teaser fly or some flash on the treble. Perhaps a small Chug Bug would do the trick?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Last year I was trying silk loop tactics for gars. Had over 70 'on' in one short session but interestingly, a few mackerel screamed off with it too.

Something very small and bright I reckon 30 - 50 mm might be ideal.

They certainly hit surface stripped and stopped fry patterns when fly fishing.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
A starting point is most of the lures mentioned in the 'Ultralite WTD Lure' thread in the tackle section. I cannot wait to target them personally. I think I'll be starting subsurface first, then migrate up on top.

I have only fluked a couple up top previously, but have never fished the small small lures

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yep, I'll be in to it as well this year. Should be great fun on the light stuff!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have done it a lot of times ( fly & plug poppers). But mostly just as it's getting dark. had one of thous magic nights a couple of summers ago. Just on high tide in the dark was working a mag popper and got a doz or so. Interesting thing is its the only time Ive caught mackerel in total darkness.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Like Tom above I have had alot of mac at dusk on poppers, for me its always been Bobs Bangers (fly) around 2 to 3" long. Great fun when the go off on the top, properly explosive.

Marty

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The scope for this sort of stuff is endless and I'm so pleased everyone here feels they talk about this on the forum.
Mackerel get a bad rep in some quarters but any saltwater fly angler will laugh...
Time to get the plug and lrf man in on the action i think.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If I ever get sick of catching mackerel its time to hang up the rods! One thing I will say but any time Ive fished UL for them never got as good fight of them as such:???: Yet give them some stick on slightly heavier gear and they pull like stink!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
If I ever get sick of catching mackerel its time to hang up the rods! One thing I will say but any time Ive fished UL for them never got as good fight of them as such:???: Yet give them some stick on slightly heavier gear and they pull like stink!
That is a very interesting observation Tom, I too find that with some fish, the more stick you give them the better they go. Smooth Hounds are one species I find that do that.

I will be looking to get some mackerel on the baby Patchinko and the Megabass Coayu Slide Sinker

Or the standard Dog-X

I once had two mackerel at once on a Rapala Skitter Pop 12cm, mental.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
What size & weight are they Mick ?
The Coayu Slide Sinker is 7g I think and about 70mm, and the Dox-X is about 80mm and if I remember rightly and 8g. They also do a Junior Dog-X that is about 70mm and 6g. My mate Jighead done well last year on them, as I said he had quite a few species and bass to over 6lb, awesome!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.