The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have one at home never seem to have any real success on it,
When i fish it the first trebble always seems to get caught in the braid and loose the action,
I fish it similar to the patchinko but to no avail where am i going wrong seems to be a big favourite for many, Should i fish it more like a chug bug or popper......

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Barry,
firstly are you using a mono/fluro leader? As you said the trebbles get caught in the braid. And if you are then perhaps try a stiffer one. A stiffer leader allows you to put more action into surface lures.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Caught well on mine Barry,
Slow WTD seems to be the best way around here, gentle snaking retrieve. Great lure on windy days as it is small and heavy enough to punch into wind well.

As Ben said fluro leaders about 25lb helps stop the tangles.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Barry,
firstly are you using a mono/fluro leader? As you said the trebbles get caught in the braid. And if you are then perhaps try a stiffer one. A stiffer leader allows you to put more action into surface lures.
I dont use a leader Ben straight through braid is the order of the day,i see what your saying about the mono not getting caught up as easily might have to give it a go,

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caught well on mine Barry,
Slow WTD seems to be the best way around here, gentle snaking retrieve. Great lure on windy days as it is small and heavy enough to punch into wind well.

As Ben said fluro leaders about 25lb helps stop the tangles.
Thanks Davey for the advice will persist with it, might have to get some flouro tied on and give it a lash

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barry

They are absolutely rubbish as a lure. Post it to me immediately ;-)
Will give it some serious water time after the bass ban if no joy send us on you address she could be yours Nigel , Its the bigger one if that makes any difference,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Barry, I prefer the smaller 105mm version and it's very effective for me. I like to chug it, pop it, wtd and mix up the retrieve. I'm less happy with the bigger lure and I think the hooks are too big and heavy. I would change them for something lighter. Stick with it - it's a great lure.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I am with George on the size issue, I too think the smaller size has the edge.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barry, I prefer the smaller 105mm version and it's very effective for me. I like to chug it, pop it, wtd and mix up the retrieve. I'm less happy with the bigger lure and I think the hooks are too big and heavy. I would change them for something lighter. Stick with it - it's a great lure.
Thanks George all is taken on board i have heard that the smaller version is the better catcher,and i do agree with you about the hooks could do with a little down sizeing they are very thick trebbles alright..[

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Barry,

I have the smaller version - finds it works really well. I had issues when I first started with it as I did not have a leader and found the hooks would get caught in the braid etc. Since fishing with a small length of leader ( mono / fluoro) I have found that it works really well. Keep persevering - might be worth investing in the smaller one too.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Barry,

I have the smaller version - finds it works really well. I had issues when I first started with it as I did not have a leader and found the hooks would get caught in the braid etc. Since fishing with a small length of leader ( mono / fluoro) I have found that it works really well. Keep persevering - might be worth investing in the smaller one too.
Thanks John i think the whole straight through braid thing is the problem after seeing some of the replys that you and some of the other lads have given....

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Barry, i also suffered the tangles when straight through. Simple remedy adding the leader, im sure it will help. It seems pretty consistent the view on the smaller size.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hi Barry That lure is probably my favourite Had over a 100 Bass on it a few years ago Most successful method being. point rod tip down and towards the lure Wind in fast for about 20ft stop count to 5 If no take twitch it count to 5 If no take start winding fast 20ft etc etc Excellent lure if you are catching on a patchinko you should catch on the mag popper The takes you get on this one are amazing

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Barry That lure is probably my favourite Had over a 100 Bass on it a few years ago Most successful method being. point rod tip down and towards the lure Wind in fast for about 20ft stop count to 5 If no take twitch it count to 5 If no take start winding fast 20ft etc etc Excellent lure if you are catching on a patchinko you should catch on the mag popper The takes you get on this one are amazing
Very help full Marq thanks very much will employ this technique roll on the bass...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts