The Lure Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confess that I am not a regular reader of the fishing mags as although some do now cover lure fishing to an extent, most is still aimed at 'broadbrush' sea fishing which is fair enough. However, given that the forum can boast at least three contributors to these magazines recently in Nathan, Iestyn and now Ben Field, how practical is it to have a section on the Forum where these articles are available online? I understand that there may be copyright issues but it would also be publicity for these magazines to Forum members.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
More to the point why not release a lure only UK magazine for us to read. Sea Angling magazine already has a Bass section - just remove it and release it on its own with nice shiny paper and loads more info, stories, reviews, etc. We have some fantastic Bass experts in this country - and there has to be stacks of cash in advertising rods, reels and lures (lets face it - after fly fishing lure plugging has got to be the next most costly fishing equipment on these shores), to make it financially viable. While on holiday in France this year, just the local supermarket had at least 3 Bass (Bar) magazines. I bought them all of course - and my long suffering wife just loved having to translate them for me word for word -not. But love her to bits - she knows I can just about buy a loaf of bread in French - so she did. When she was busy doing other stuff I could just look at pages and pages of shiny lure adverts - and show the kids pictures of Z-claws - way cooler than Ben-10!
So guys - you have the contacts, the knowledge, the ability - and we have the desire for a magazine written just for us - so please, please , please launch it. Id buy it every month till I died, and so would every one on this forum I bet!

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
Being a lone angler I enjoy reading thro' Sea Angler Magazine,most articles as you say are indeed "broad brush", but quite often small snippets can be found that relate to an area of the sport that interests me. As a lone angler I don't have anyone telling me about the latest methods or tackle that is being used,thats why I joined the forum (and my god what a revelation that's turned out to be) so broad brush for a peek then here for a broader insight. We must also remember that the average angler may not be as "full on" about lure fishing as us. Henry gilby must take a lot of the credit for the recent addition of bass angler to sea angler magazine, and keiths articles surley get the inquisitive angler to think and ask more questions of how they fish.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
keiths articles surley get the inquisitive angler to think and ask more questions of how they fish.
I hope they do.

I haven't kept track of what has and hasn't yet been printed but, I wrote quite a few that were proof read by Henry Gilbey and passed along to SA.
I tried to write about stuff in a way that just lights the tinder box. Lure fishing in Great Britain is so much more than Bass though so I'd suggest a 'Lure' magazine, not just a Bass one. This would shield any such publication from imminent collapses in any one species too.

Also....

Lets not forget **** Ward who contributes to TSF and Roj who works there. (both lureforum members of course).

There may be more here too...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keith forgive me! I was actually reading your thought provoking article in Sea Angler about lure profile that prompted my original question and you are probabally the most well known, experienced angler and writer the Forum has and I didnt reference you! Old age and senility - sorry!

Your comments about **** and Roger are equally valid. It does show the depth of knowledge the Forum offers and is possibly further evidence of the advantage of a library of published articles. I know you, Iestyn and Nathan (and probabaly more I am now missing!) have blogs that are also eqully valuable for less experienced anglers like myself.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I hope they do.

I haven't kept track of what has and hasn't yet been printed but, I wrote quite a few that were proof read by Henry Gilbey and passed along to SA.
I tried to write about stuff in a way that just lights the tinder box. Lure fishing in Great Britain is so much more than Bass though so I'd suggest a 'Lure' magazine, not just a Bass one. This would shield any such publication from imminent collapses in any one species too.

Also....

Lets not forget **** Ward who contributes to TSF and Roj who works there. (both lureforum members of course).

There may be more here too...
Spot on there Keith about lure fishing being more than just Bass fishing.
For me their is way way to much Bass talk and we all should remember that there are so many other species out there that will happily hit a lure.
As I have said before I think the New (to us) classifications of HRF and LRF is what it is all about in modern lure fishing,,,,,I has to be.
Anyone can turn up at a rocky mark or harbour and with the right gear and approach enjoy lure fishing and catch plenty of fish 'all year round'.
Also how are you getting on with the 7'7"LC rod,have you tried it and if so hows it going etc ?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I don't believe that a magazine targeted at Bass fisherman would cause a collapse in the species. I reckon TV chefs only ever cooking with Bass, and wretched gill net fishermen suppling the demand to these armchair gourmands are going to do the damage. The majority of people who would buy such a magazine would be as interested in Bass conservation as they are in catching them. Anyone actually reading such a magazine would also be reading news and reports on such matters. Which in fact could have a greater positive impact on fish welfare; especially for those fisherman who don't get exposed to the latest developments (non - forum subscribers for instance).
However I do agree that lure fishing is more than just Bass fishing - and that many lurists love a bit of Piking in the winter. But I personally am keener to have a more focused magazine. One that covers its subject in depth, and detail. Sometimes magazines can try to be everything to everyone, and unless its free with the Sunday papers Id rather have it in its purest form. However that may not make such good commercial sense, and it really is a personal view.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think the New (to us) classifications of HRF and LRF is what it is all about in modern lure fishing,,,,,I has to be.
Anyone can turn up at a rocky mark or harbour and with the right gear and approach enjoy lure fishing and catch plenty of fish 'all year round'.

Also how is Kevin getting on with the 7'7"LC rod,have you tried it and if so hows it going etc ?
I fully believe LRF and HRF multi species fishing IS the future.
LC rod is awesome. Kev hasn't used it, it is me using it on LT test. A really good rod imho.

Keith forgive me!

I know you, Iestyn and Nathan (and probabaly more I am now missing!) have blogs that are also eqully valuable for less experienced anglers like myself.
I forgive you...LOL
Blogs are a very valuable resource that many still don't use. They should. They often contain real gems of ideas and I follow lots of unrelated to UK fishing blogs that give me ideas. I call it 'Borg' fishing. We assimilate, adding their distinctiveness to our own. It works as long you adapt for your own species, environment and conditions

I don't believe that a magazine targeted at Bass fisherman would cause a collapse in the species.
I actually meant the inevitable collapse of ALL commercial species if we keep going the way it IS going. They reckon the total collapse will occur before 2050.
We will see this happen species by species as pressure moves from one, to the other. I mean commercial extinction, not total. Either is bad enough. When will we learn that we are only a PART of the eco system ? Yet man, well, he thinks he has a right to suddenly do better with the balance than millions of years of evolution.

I won't go on, it's depressing and will likely start wars and all manner of problems in OUR futures.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
B.A.S.S. & The Lure Anglers Society both produce quarterly magazines for their membership. Membership of B.A.S.S. is £20 & L.A.S. is £19 per annum with various fees for family membership O.A.P.s etc.
Both produce quality magazines all edited & produced in house & obviously then assembled by a printing firm. Could similar not be done on the Lure Forum?? A membership fee that contributes to the running of the forum & a free quarterly magazine. Those that join get the magazine, maybe get entered into a draw each month for a free lure or two or something & access to the forum. Those that don't only get access to the forum or even only part of the forum.
Of course an acceptable number of adverts in the magazine could also generate some revenue.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I think Ill shut up now! Feeling suitably humbled - should engage brain before mouth. I never look at the big picture - need my eyes opening.
And Nigel - completely forgot about those quarterlies. I feel a bit shallow banging on about wanting a glossy mag - I'd better get back to reading the wifes Grazia's.
Ciao.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Speaking of the BASS mag, anyone with ambitions to write can always contribute the BASS mag as the editors are always pleased to get new material from what I know. Some of the BASS members on this forum regularly contribute to it.

BTW David, just to add further to your humbling, I also know of 2 other BASS members on this forum including Julian Fox who are writers of the "BASS column" in S.A.. The other somehow managed to get articles "what he wrote" into Waterlog magazine too.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Magazines On line

I confess that I am not a regular reader of the fishing mags as although some do now cover lure fishing to an extent, most is still aimed at 'broadbrush' sea fishing which is fair enough. However, given that the forum can boast at least three contributors to these magazines recently in Nathan, Iestyn and now Ben Field, how practical is it to have a section on the Forum where these articles are available online?

Hope this might be of some help to you

As a regular writer for Irish Angler magazine I have asked the Editor for some of the issues as .pdf's and made them available on my website through these downloadable links (below) to SCRIBD. Not every article I wrote on lure or fly fishing for IA is published here, just some and kept simple too

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2520414
http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2520720

Some cover photos and samples of other articles I made

http://www.probassfisher.com/2008/01/irish-angler-covers_31.html

Below is a small set of links to German French Dutch and Uk articles written by traveling journalists to SEAi since 2003also available on-line at the links below - this is a small sample of about twenty five such articles from various magazines over the last eight years or so

http://www.bassfishing.ie/Waterlog.htm
http://www.bassfishing.ie/VoyagesDePeche.htm
http://www.bassfishing.ie/Fliegen.htm
http://www.bassfishing.ie/FlyFishing.htm
http://www.bassfishing.ie/Predators.htm
http://www.bassfishing.ie/PecheMouche.htm

I think its important that such articles are kept to re-inforce the benefits and efforts made by people in recreational bass fishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.