The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will take the odd fish for the table (one last year!) and think it might be better to take a male fish (if possible).

How easy is it to tell the difference between male and female bass?
Some fish that I have caught it is straight forward, others possible if you know what you are looking for. But are there any give aways on a bass?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
yeah, isnt it only possible to tell with the bigger fish around spawning? So younger fish would near impossible to tell.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Show it a Jimmy Chu Shoe, if it tries to wriggle up the beach towards it, then it's female

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is no way to tell, or so I'm told. I've asked the question before on another forum. I think males only grow to around 5 or 6lb though?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I will take the odd fish for the table (one last year!) and think it might be better to take a male fish (if possible).

Not sure it matters much with catch and release but if you intend to keep one, isn't the idea to EAT it for dinner not TAKE it for dinner?

But hey, as you like the males does it matter? Any holes a goal right? :muttley: :eek: ;)

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
I take it by the comments on this post that this forum has no female members yet.

I'm sure my avatars would have raised an objection or two by now if we did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts