The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropping a quick note in here to remind us that Squid were noted at various locations both here and in Guernsey during March. Water has been clear, baitfish (grasdos etc) have been readily available and, the seen size of the squid has been moderate to large.

Here in Jersey the Squid were seen actively feeding at Bonne Nuit, Bouley Bay and St Catherines.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Egi's are in the bag now Keith. Not flash Megabass ones, but should do the trick anyway. That one on the surface the other night was quite a beast. I dont think I'll tackling him LRF stylee.

Is there a sortie planned for this evening?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bouley Bay / L'Islet m8 for around 7:45 -- 8.00 pm
All are welcome as usual, entry fee £50 LOL

Egi's, real Egi's in the bag Mark, those flash MB ones and a secret one..

I Guess I Yamashita for not telling you which ones eh ?

Ika on LRF...serious jet propelled fun. Like flying a Boeing 757 on a kite line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got back in from a quick session, Managed my first march squid of about 1 1/2 lb which will now be tommorows supper. Had it on the bushwhaker currently on loan from Andy, It gave a nice little fight on the HRF gear.

It was the only one I saw tonight but might give it another go tommorow if the wind drops a bit, will try to upload a pic in the morning.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back in from a quick session, Managed my first march squid of about 1 1/2 lb which will now be tommorows supper. Had it on the bushwhaker currently on loan from Andy, It gave a nice little fight on the HRF gear.

It was the only one I saw tonight but might give it another go tommorow if the wind drops a bit, will try to upload a pic in the morning.
Ha...

Great.

Not just here then. for 2 to 3 weeks, the small LRF targets have been on edge. Getting harder all the time.

Answer must in part be down to the Squid influx. There are obviously a few around as I write this.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Are squid more prolific around the lights of harbours, or are they generally just all over the place over there? Being in the light obviously makes LRF fish very easy targets, but would they be so on edge if you targeted the LRF stuff away from it?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are squid more prolific around the lights of harbours, or are they generally just all over the place over there? Being in the light obviously makes LRF fish very easy targets, but would they be so on edge if you targeted the LRF stuff away from it?
Both myself and Kev have caught Squid and Cuttles well away from any ambient light sources.
The harbours are just convienient LRF zones, not always the most productive.

The fishing at 2 hot locations are both away from lights. The fish though are generally bigger rather than in larger quantities.
As time moves on, more LRF' rs will fish non harbour marks especially in daylight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So they are in Jersey and Guernsey.

Might just have to see how far North they are!

When it calms down a bit.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see no reason why they wouldn't be in Alderney Dicky.

I mean, they aren't in droves here, not like the prime months but, they are certainly worth fishing for as proven in 2 nights this week.
With only another matter of weeks before the Cuttlefish influx I'm presuming Eging could be seamless annually but in peaks and troughs.

Gary A assures me you get these little squid too that we just don't bother with. Calamari sized. Well, in MV USA, me and Kev have seen whole communities jigging for tiny squid and they, like us think it's nuts that they get huge Bass, little squid and we get, small Bass by comparison and huge squid. Nature is a funny thing eh.

Got a few people with feelers out right now assimilating info so, when the cuttles come, we'll be waiting. Upto 3 kilo apparently ! That would bend my Eging rod. LOL

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Now you wouldn't want a nip from a 3lb (or any) cuttlefish.

I am buying a new wok Keith, ready for the cuttle season. Not that I am going to go mad, but it is nicer than white fish, most of which are underr stock pressure anyhoo.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
They are way better than squid to eat, Mark and a big portuguese and spanish delicacy. I can't see it being too difficult for you to get some recipes from the local portuguese community?? Flash fried strips with garlic and lemon squeezed over takes some beating in my book!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
They are way better than squid to eat, Mark and a big portuguese and spanish delicacy. I can't see it being too difficult for you to get some recipes from the local portuguese community?? Flash fried strips with garlic and lemon squeezed over takes some beating in my book!
As above but scored, dusted in flour then fried in Jersey butter - oh and add some chilli flakes to taste. And some vino for the chef.

Keith Floyd was my inspiration cooking wise. None of this "Poncy crap blah blah....done!" crep.

Crep, that's St Ouennais for crap, not a pancake.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice. My favourite way to do the fresh squid is dipped in corn flour then dropped into hot oil, so will try similar with cuttles, providing we can find them (I have a feeling we might!) The portugese recipes I think tend to be fairly complex I thought? (for me anyway!!)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Nice. My favourite way to do the fresh squid is dipped in corn flour then dropped into hot oil, so will try similar with cuttles, providing we can find them (I have a feeling we might!) The portugese recipes I think tend to be fairly complex I thought? (for me anyway!!)
They are everywhere on some marks. You'll have no trouble.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Keith, I've heard of these little squid. I once saw a huge raft of gulls feeding out to sea in an area of slack water. I asked a very knowledgeable old local potter who told me they were feeding on 'inkers' and described them as baby squid.
Said the bass go mad for 'em, hydro squirt time methinks!

We get cuttle a lot later up here. They are a real pain when fishing live launce on the banks.
One year we had an influx inshore, I caught loads on hard crab whilst wrasse fishing.

Eaten plenty of 'chocos fritos' in Spain, delicious.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Cuttlefish scored both sides fried in olive oil, garlic and some herbs, takes litterally 1 minute each side OMG!! Squid (like sleepy said) cut into strips, dried off and rolled in seasoned flour (garlic/chillie salt will do) and deep fried in a hot oil for again litterally a few minutes, some sweet chilie sauce or any dip you fancy, the best starter in the world..........done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts