The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://wales.gov.uk/topics/environm...ervation/protected/conservationzones/?lang=en

One for the members who fish Wales, I have not studied this in depth but will read through the website. From what I have read / been told:-

1. Marine conversation Zones will be set up with Pembroke having a number of proposed sites
2. Originally anglers did not object thinking catch and release would be allowed within the zones, the statement has now been made of no take from the zones including a temporary take implying you can not remove fish and return.
3. Some of the anglers writing to the assembly fear the banning of all angling is their objective
4. Some of the anti angling wildlife groups are involved and campaigning for no angling.

We could lose angling from parts of Pembroke, you may want to read and write to WAG.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Amazing!!

How would these people react if there was a "No Bird Watching" lobby to stop them observing the birds?

A local area to myself doesnt allow any angling from the shore because of "bird protection" issues. One arguement is that the swans etc could end up swallowing the leads. I knew of no one who fished these areas with LESS than 4 ounce breakaways. If a swan can successfully swallow one of these without suffering things like dislocated beak etc, then I would happily agree with the people and their arguements.
What they cannot do, however, is stop us using boats to access these areas. In fact, deliberate agitation of their membership would be enough of a reason for me to buy a belly boat and spend a few weekends during the summer, just paddling around in the shallows.

Be careful Gents. These bloody so called nature loving people will do all they can to stop you fishing!!
They are currently working on bait digging in the areas around where I live, on the estuaries. Saying it disturbs the wildlife etc. Tell you what, go out on the shore, turn over some mud / sand etc with a fork or spade and walk away. See how long it takes for wildlife to come flocking to the ground you have just turned over!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I realise the need to preserve stocks etc, however i dont think targeting the Shore angler is going about it the right way, I sure the MASS of trawlers fishing our waters do a hell of a lot more damage, try looking at that first

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
As always these peoeple don't think. They have their agenda and everyone else will get screwed. This will not just include fishing but bait collecting and even walking in that area will no doubt disturb the fecking birds. There is no reasoning with these idiots.....................:x:x

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
There are people out there that will try 'any method' to get things banned,,,,,,,,,,anything.
These people must be routed out,identified and everyone made aware of what their real intentions are.
As soon as one group manages to get angling banned in a specific area that WILL without question lead to these areas popping up ALL OVER.
AS SOON AS THIS IS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN EVEN ONCE,,,,,THATS IT.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Other areas have similar threats, Beachy Head area in Sussex is another proposed no take/no fishing zone. Quite simply the most stupid set of rules, after all once the commerical gill netters have been at them, any impact of shore fishing is so close to zero as to be not worth worrying about. As Nick said this is just another attempt to ban something.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is a 65 page document I scanned through last night, it notes angling (commercial and recreational) as inappropraite within these zones. The Welsh federation of sea anglers are on the panel so hopefully we have some voice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have been watching this bill closely as i am a commercial bait digger who digs right in the middle of the proposed area. Not only will i lose my living but i wont be able to fish.
I have studied coastal zone and marine environment studies thus we manage the worm stocks for long term gathering. as short term profit is no good to anyone
in the last 15 years there has been more bio diversity on the beach that i dig due to the digging (softer sediments) allowing colonization of inverts and shellfish spat.
this in turn has led to increased bird species due to more available food sources. there is also more juvenile fish on the tide line mostly bass and mullet with increasing numbers of breams during the summer months .
The banning of angling within the haven and surrounding area will have no effect on fish populations. they should be concentrating on destructive forms of commercial fishing trawling,dredging and gill nets. and be promoting line caught and potting
a blanket ban will affect the local economy local fishermen, tackle shops ,boat operators and tourism as a whole
I think that it is all a bit much as the four refinery's and the L N G terminal dose more damage than an army of anglers ever will just remember the SEA EMPRESS

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
i have been watching this bill closely as i am a commercial bait digger who digs right in the middle of the proposed area. Not only will i lose my living but i wont be able to fish.
I have studied coastal zone and marine environment studies thus we manage the worm stocks for long term gathering. as short term profit is no good to anyone
in the last 15 years there has been more bio diversity on the beach that i dig due to the digging (softer sediments) allowing colonization of inverts and shellfish spat.
this in turn has led to increased bird species due to more available food sources. there is also more juvenile fish on the tide line mostly bass and mullet with increasing numbers of breams during the summer months .
The banning of angling within the haven and surrounding area will have no effect on fish populations. they should be concentrating on destructive forms of commercial fishing trawling,dredging and gill nets. and be promoting line caught and potting
a blanket ban will affect the local economy local fishermen, tackle shops ,boat operators and tourism as a whole
I think that it is all a bit much as the four refinery's and the L N G terminal dose more damage than an army of anglers ever will just remember the SEA EMPRESS
Some very good points there

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think Marine Conservation zones are a must if we are to protect our Marine Environment, just look at the success of the Bass Nursery areas around our coast the shame is when the juvenile fish enter the sea they are then hammered, for example in Start Bay Trawlers’ regularly operate within 200yds of the beach, for that reason I would argue that commercial fishing other than with Rod and line and Potting be banned from certain areas within a one mile zone from the shore, this is indeed happening and I'm personally involved in a project as per the next paragraph.

The Marine Institute, University of Plymouth, and Plymouth Marine Laboratory would like to invite you to attend a workshop to mark the final stage of the three year Defra funded project in Lyme Bay which is monitoring the ecological and socio-economic impacts of the 60 nm2 closure to bottom towed fishing gear.
The aim of the day is to discuss the findings of the ecological and socio-economic research, share viewpoints, and generate recommendations and guidelines for future management.

Apart from the above I agree with not disturbing birds esp. ground nesting birds during the breeding season, dog owners need to keep their hounds on leads, walkers and anglers need to keep to footpaths e.t.c
As responsible anglers I'm sure we all respect our feathered friends especially when they lead us to our chosen quarry.

As with every argument there is generally two sides to the story and a compromise to be reached

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bet you get some nasty looks from the twitchers - hate a digger they do (its their lot who bad mouth about anglers alot)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Chris said:
As with every argument there is generally two sides to the story and a compromise to be reached
Absolutely spot on Chris....the only problem is there is only one side that is having any say and it is not us. If we are not careful our fishing will become more and more restricted.... and here we are with most of us having zero effect on Bass stocks because we put back. The only problem with anything like this is that conservationists are extremely limited in their thinking, the British Conservationist thinks that the only way to manage our resources is to ban anything which "they think" may have an effect on it. That's not conservation management to me.....We should question every intention of these people and try to ensure that we continue to maintain the fishing rights we have now. We can and should be a major part of any Marine Conservation system but sadly we have no power and even worse we are seen as a part of the problem, so what chance do we stand.
John I can only hope that you come out of this okay and manage to keep making a living. I am sure these so called conservationists will not take you into consideration at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
if the bait digging stops i may turn my hand to being an angling guide i know the marks and the species and where to collect any type of bait. i have kept a record of every sea fish i have caught in the last 25 years. have been a charter boat skipper so can deal with the public just need to do my coaching certificates and get insurance.
as has been said conservation is important this is why we have fished catch and release for years, anglers know more about the impacts on there local coastlines than the so called experts due to actually being there rather than believing what is said by the antis . most anglers regulate there catch and clean up after themselves .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Having failed to raise, MLS, quotas (Bass), sustainable management, I see little option other than to support NTZ's, one compromise would be to have buffer zones (as proposed off western US), these areas would be open to low impact activities such as angling.

Surely a way forward with bird watchers would be to work with them and respect the areas they value on a seasonal basis. At the same time highlight the problem of bycatch in nets in coastal waters, the RSPB are certainly opposed to commercial activities such as this and have made their views known.

Personally I enjoy the environment as much as the fishing, NTZ's will only add to the to this.

It is all to easy to criticise these measures that are relatively scarce in the UK.

Why do anglers flock to Ireland? because of sensible protection, and limited access to anglers.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having failed to raise, MLS, quotas (Bass), sustainably management, I see little option other than to support NTZ's, one compromise would be to have buffer zones (as proposed off western US), these areas would be open to low impact activities such as angling.

Surely a way forward with bird watchers would be to work with them and respect the areas they value on a seasonal basis. At the same time highlight the problem of bycatch in nets in coastal waters, the RSPB are certainly opposed to commercial activities such as this and have made their views known.

Personally I enjoy the environment as much as the fishing, NTZ's will only add to the to this.

It is all to easy to criticise these measures that are relatively scarce in the UK.

Why do anglers flock to Ireland? because of sensible protection, and limited access to anglers.
I think the bold highlighted text is what most anglers seek

1 - 15 of 15 Posts