The Lure Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark advice section?

732 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Simon Pearce 
#1 ·
Is there somewhere, or could there be somewhere where member can share information about how to best fish particular marks, or whether people have had success at particular places?

I'm primarily thinking about well known marks and beaches, not people's top secret spots.

Basically there are marks that I fish with little or no success, and it would be nice to know whether this is because of technique, or because I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time etc.

#2 ·
To be very honest Simon , This is going to be regarded as a sensitive subject with members , Which will either get you the help you need or it will simply be ignored..
Maybe the best way around this is to read peoples posts , then if you need information about the area is to send the member a pm ,
We do not encourage members to post to much information about marks !!! as it can cause hassels

#3 ·
Hi ya Simon finding where the fish are is half the fun you gotta get out there and spend time on the water to reep the rewards, have a look at the likes of google maps and then go spend time on the water, it will fall in to place after time,use your head and there is loads of info on what to look for when your on the water on this site from plenty of anglers who have spent years chasing fish about the place, good luck with the lure fishing

#5 ·
I will admit that when I started fishing I used to rely on folks telling me where to go in order to find fish. I found now that whats better is listening to the techniques that different people use at the marks they go to, they may not mention the mark but you can put the technique to the terrain. If someone is using a technique on a beach in the surf and they have success try it yourself and see what happens. Saying that its not as easy as it sounds, I've had my fair share of blanks, but at the same time its an improvement from when I started when I blanked all the time, turned out I was in the right place but doing the wrong thing.

#6 ·
Spot on Jay,
Same here, learn the techniques and when they work-then try and match them to where you fish. I still blank, I think 99% of pluggers do from time to time-especially when trying to learn a new mark. But by keep plugging away and trying different things sooner or later, even the toughest mark will start to give up it's secrets. Like Barry said-time on the water, and keeping your eyes open is the best approach.

#7 ·
Blanking is part of learning.
Fishing would be boring for me if it was easy.

I know that blog reports etc can make our fishing seem that way but, believe me, it isn't and we take serious knocks too.
The difference is, I try to find out WHY.

If you are blanking alot, something IS wrong. 2 or 3 trips blank on new ground can happen easily.
Big blank runs though, try something, or somewhere different.

There are patterns to everything and some are very complex, only happening at certain times of year.
Learning to recognise these patterns is Bass fishing at it's best. Not just chuck it and see.

#9 ·
I've only recently started catching. I blanked for so long it was untrue but now i cant stop catching. I will admit they are only small stuff but great fun.
For me it was all about technique, i changed this and bingo i was off and running.
Great advice in the learning section under techniques, also dont be afraid to do your own variations.

I was cursing the marks, the time of day, the tides and even the lures but all along it was my technique.

#11 ·
Thanks to all the above for their very sage advice! I was wondering about the deafening silence from North Devon and hope I haven't revealed anything about anyones secret marks, although revealing that the "sticky out" bits on map and other areas that accelerate the current may just be good areas might be takeing things a bit far ! Seriously though, lots of anglers are trying out lures for bass and other species for the first time and they do need some sound advice regarding the where and when to fish. Some may take the "Red Rods n shiney wonder lures" seen in the magazines as the answer, rather than just tools that need to be used in the right way at the right time and place.
Is there a basic "Beginers Guide" to what makes a good bass mark, and how and when to fish it? (I'm new here!) because lets face it, it gets a bit of a drag blanking nine times out of ten, and yes I do know what that feels like ! PS. The bass lure fishing in Somerset starts about, er , Porlock! Your welcome to it ! (I've bought some abseil rope, gonna end it all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.