The Lure Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several threads on the pro's of using matt coloured plugs (especially at night). I can see the advantages of not wanting to spook fish in gin clear water with a lure thats "flashing" like a Christmas tree but would be interested to hear anyones theories on why and when these plugs are likely to work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have read several threads on the pro's of using matt coloured plugs (especially at night). I can see the advantages of not wanting to spook fish in gin clear water with a lure thats "flashing" like a Christmas tree but would be interested to hear anyones theories on why and when these plugs are likely to work.
Hi Andy,

Like I said in another thread -- I have no evidence for what I am saying -- just personal experience. I just tend to use matt or self dulled plugs in gin clear water and especially over sand or pail coloured rock -- the Bass seem to be more interested in silhouette rather than flashes of reflected light, especially with suspending or slow worked plugs.

Hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Chris,I have a Z Claw thats almost worn out colour wise which I intend to spray matt black for experimenting at night with.My mates use black top water plastics to good effect at night on a mark they fish in Scotland it will be interesting to see the comparison when fishing with them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try that Keith thanks,I don't usually bother when theres a lot of colour in the water and given the unseasonal weather we have had up here the last couple of summers with Northerly winds often putting up lots of swell and colour (usually thick brown with lots of suspended weed etc) it means a lot of time is lost.Perhaps its time to spend more time experimenting and having a bit more confidence to give the lures a try (the guys fishing bait do well under these conditions though)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I was once told that the pro staff in France will actually wet and dry their bling lures down a bit, just lightly to take the bright shine off, interesting stuff really. I do have a bit of a soft spot for clear bellies lures, maybe its because they blend in more or are just not so shiney under the water.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cheers Chris,I have a Z Claw thats almost worn out colour wise which I intend to spray matt black for experimenting at night with.My mates use black top water plastics to good effect at night on a mark they fish in Scotland it will be interesting to see the comparison when fishing with them.
Hi Andy,

I have a 175 Orange Duo Tide Minnow that must be well over two years old, that shell we say, looks well past its sell by date, and I know that when I lose that plug I will be very angry, despite having a brand new one at home. The 135 Duo Surf Tide Minnow that you used on ***** boat a couple of years ago is also looking past its sell bye date -- thanks for running it in for me, LOL.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Happy to help out Chris though if I remember rightly I was very gentle with it only taming a couple of schoolies leaving it ready for you to give it a proper working over.

I hear what you say **** about clear belly lures and have a few that I got from yourself plus a lovely komomoII ,I really must give them a fair crack of the whip but the tide minnows and my mate Al Patchinko usually serve me well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts