The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday 15th May.
Having worked all day saturday and without a bass too my name this year i thought i'd go and chuck some plugs at one of my favourite marks too see if i could kick start my season. My brother(Bob) came too and we arrived at our chosen mark at about 9pm. It's a very shallow mark strewn with boulders that vary in size from a football too the size of small house. The tide was big and had been on the flood for about 2 hours ripping from right too left. It was pretty calm with a few small swells and the odd ripple as the wind swirled randomly around us.
From the top of the cliff visability looked ok but as we got down too the waters edge it turned out too be pretty murky, I'd say there was about 2ft visability. I've never had any confidence in murky water but as we were there we felt it was worth a bash for an hour or so.
With it been so shallow and not been able too spot the boulders lurking just under the surface i decided to lob out a Patchinko, while Bob went with a LC Gunfish. After half an hour or so of varied styles of retrive and getting pushed quickly back up the beach by the flooding tide niether of us had moved a fish and confidence was pretty low.
I felt it was time for a change of tactic and moved fifty yards or so down the beach where i felt i could risk using a shallow diver. Now I'm a whimp and i hate loosing plugs(i know, i know) so i choose a plug that runs super shallow, the now famous Tackle House Feed Shallow. However rather than go for my new shiney mullet colour i went for one in rainbow pearl(iluminous belly stripe). I never particulaly cared for this colour, i tend too use more natural coulered plugs, but felt it might stand out in the murky water and if i lost it i wouldn't cry. Twenty minuites in and only getting snagged up once i was pleased with the way the lure was looking and working. Next cast i pinged it up and across the tide towards a large boulder that was still breaking the surface. Splash down, steady retrieve for about 20 feet, pause,it drifts round nicely in the tide, jerk, pause, slow retrieve, pause 5 seconds, two turns of the handle and smash. I get hit hard and the rod bar 240 bends beautifully into what feels like a pretty good fish, i'm all excited and shouting at Bob who is already rock hopping over too me. A shortish scrap follows with plenty of head shakes with the odd lunge, i'm thinking "man i forgot how good this feels". Bob and i are like little kids, all whooping,smiles and hi fives as a nice fish of about 5Lbs glides onto Bobs thumb and forefinger.
Some quick photos (sorry about the quality only had my iphone) after unhooking and she swims off strongly.

More high fives follow and confidence is suddenly sky high, pressure off the first ones out of the way. We can't believe we got one with the water clarity as it is. "We have too give dirty water more of a go this year" Bob and i say in unison as we we pick our rods up and head too the next likely looking set of boulders.
After about half an hour of quite it's getting dark(i've never fished with plugs at night) and the sea has really calmed off , almost like glass.
My mind starts too drift and i warn myself too concentrate and i ask myself whats goin too work, when a thread i read on here came into my head like a light bulb turning on. The said thread was on waking a plug just on/in the surface with the rod tip up and a bow in your line, reeling super slow so the plug just glides across the surface leaving a distinct V wake behind it. I think the thread was by the meastro Kieth White.
Anyway i felt conditions(flat calm, Almost dark) were perfect for giving this technique a go. So out goes the cast, rod tip up start reeling very slowly. The Feed shallow starts too glide toward me leaving a nice wake on the srface and i can feel it wobbling very slightly through the braid and rod tip. Half way in i pause for 5 seconds then start waking it again. Absolute silence and utter consentration are shattered as a bass comes clean out of the water, tail and all as it crunches my plug. (first cast using the Wake technique)
Yes fish on and a replay of me shouting and shaking with adrenaline as Bob hot foots it over too me. This one fights much better, using the tide too it's advantage and taking some line as it heads toward some half covered boulders too my left. I manage too persude him too turn my way and after a couple of good fast turns a nice healthy 3Lber is sliding into Bobs hands, he quickly unhooks her and slips her back too make babies.(no pics Too dark)
Again were delighted and decide were not goin too get much sleep this season if this is anything too go by. It's murky and dark! It's all in the lateral line.
I explain too Bob about the Waking style retrieve and we go again. We fished for another 20mins and i manage too get another take using Kieths magic method, unfortunatly this one doesn't stick.
We decide too call it quits for the night and walk back too the car with our ideas and aims for the season totally transformed. I'm dissapointed Bob didn't get off the mark but now we know there here surely it won't take long!

Sunday 16th May.

After saturday nights revelations and another full day of work Bob and i couldn't help but give it another go on sunday night. Again we arrived at the mark at about 9pm, but it's a little rougher and there is almost zero visability. We can't abandond are new found confidence so decide too climb down the cliff and have a go anyway.
I went with the Rainbow pearl THFS again and Bob goes for the same but in sardine.
We fished for an hour or so with no luck, varying the retrieves and moving up and along the beach as the tide flooded fast.
The wind started too ease but the sea was rearly murky now with bits of weed in the water too. As i calmed off i started too use the waking style retrieve and about three rod lengths out i get a take that i feel and see but alas no hook up. I shout too Bob i missed one too let him know it's worth been there when his rod buckles as a bass slams his lure. I run over as he lands a nice bass of about 2-3lbs. (No Pics Too Dark)
Awesome he is off the mark and the lessons learnt from last night(and a winter spent reading this forum) are all paying off.
We give it another Hour with nothing else and are about too leave. Bob has one last cast and retrieves the plug steadily pausing now and then, when his rod tip bends but then pings back almost like he hit a rock with the plug, He stops, it does it again, but the plugs stationary? Bass! Still not hooked, he gives it a tweak and the fish can't resist, Bang fish on. A short scrap follows and he is rewarded with a spikey little critter of about 1-2Lbs.
The fish is slipped back into the darkness and we head back to the car feeling rather chuffed with ourselves.

Sorry if that went on but wanted too show that the info given by all your hardcore posters doesn't go too waste, it's all taken on board and used too improve my fishing.
A special thanks too Kieth White for sharing the waking technique, i can't wait too try it when the bass show in numbers.(Apolagies if anyone else mentioned that technique no slight intended, i just seem too remember Kieth talking about it)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Absolutely brilliant report Nath !!! & a super-dooper well done on the Shirley's !!! Stunning !!! :D

:clap: :clap:

Really enjoyed reading that - & i've got the attention span of a Goldfish :shock:

p.s. I lost my Feed Shallow Mullet y'day, & also hate my Pearl one ;)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Outstanding report Nathan, well done getting off the mark, superb reading !

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Si i'll check back in later, off too try for some again now!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice report Nathan - hell of a good job to type that lot up! Cracking first fish too - feels great doesn't it? You have a slightly crazy look in the photo that scares me a bit though LOL! Well done for trying a new technique. I'll remember that one for when I'm out late and the water is flat...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nathan I think the correct saying is "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together"

Great report.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
brill report Nathan, gives me the confidence not to walk away when i see really brown water, great fishing !!!! Also re colins reply ,i can second that as i got off the mark last week with 4 on the top ,on the easywalker in the dark with a slow retreive leaving a v wake ,great fun when the conditions are right.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for that guys!
I was worried i'd bore you all too death, it went on a bit LOL.
I'm off to foxons this week so i'll check the easy walker out too, thanks Colin.
4 off the top is impressive Trev.
Thanks again.

P.S- Sorry too hear about your feed shallow Si. I just had a few through from Bassmasters, can't wait too give them a go.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nathan Bell said:
Sorry if that went on but wanted too show that the info given by all your hardcore posters doesn't go too waste, it's all taken on board and used too improve my fishing.
A special thanks too Kieth White for sharing the waking technique, i can't wait too try it when the bass show in numbers.(Apolagies if anyone else mentioned that technique no slight intended, i just seem too remember Kieth talking about it)
Yes m8, we did an article on 'waking' plugs a while back. I'm really pleased 'you' employed it and whilst I'm very grateful that you cited the 'waking', it was you, not I that caught the fish. It makes my day when a plan comes together. Well done indeed and, go show someone else now how it works. Share the knowledge you have gained. Great fishing IMHO.
This really makes the case for trying something new and reaping the rewards. Superb and the reason we write stuff down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts