The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, was wondering if anyone can explain to me the benifits of a medium action rod, how would it play a fish. Only use fast action rods for my hard lures and love the positive feel when scrapping with a fish but am wondering if its worth adding a softer action rod but not sure if I would lose some of the contact? Sorry if it seems a dummy question but really love the look of the Varivas Violente VLS-98. Thinks me be a tackle tart. Explanations most welcome. cheers.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Vidar may know the real reason a rod is classed as a medium, but I personally take it as a rod that isnt fast, its power comes in a bit further down making the tip a little softer for longer, the action is more progressive. i don't know if thats the offical meaning but thts what i mean on my site when I say medium.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Vidar may know the real reason a rod is classed as a medium, but I personally take it as a rod that isnt fast, its power comes in a bit further down making the tip a little softer for longer, the action is more progressive. i don't know if thats the offical meaning but thts what i mean on my site when I say medium.

Would you class the Supermix 240 as 'medium' :?:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you fished with it ****? It looks and feels fantastic, the sort of rod you could work all day without the arm ache.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thats on the christmas list. Oh and a new filleting board...............GITS, lol.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
****, that is a pretty good explanation :clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The Super Mix does sort of have a medium action, but it is quit extreme with its combination of a softish tip and a very strong back bone. Most other medium or moderate rods have a slightly more smooth transfer of power.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Super Mix does sort of have a medium action, but it quit extreme with its combination of a softish tip and a very strong back bone. Most other medium or moderate rods have a slightly more smooth transfer of power.
So in relation to a fight you wouldn't get the brutal grunt you get with a fast action rod???

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
So in relation to a fight you wouldn't get the brutal grunt you get with a fast action rod???
Yes, you would but it would start further down the blank.

Power and action are two totally different matters although easily confused.

Take a look at the link below for a very god explanation of action and power, and the differences between the two.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/content/rod_action_and_power

·
6,295 Posts
So is there such a thing as a soft action rod???
Yes Tim, alot of standard spinning rods that are light casting weight rods are usually very soft with a very long progressive action. These rods are brilliant fun when you catch a fish on them, I used to have a 1-3oz Fibertube flattie rod, it bent in a huge arc when even a 1lb bass was on it, but strangely even a 5lb 4oz was amazing, the rod just absorbs the fight. In reality though a soft action rod is usually hard to work lures with when using alot of the lures and methods that we commonly use.

Edit: Just read what Vidar wrote above, my statement here is of course my opinion, and alot of people ask me if rods are soft etc, maybe its a shop thing? Officially I would think Vidar is correct.

The power comes in lower Jamo, but in rods like the Super Mix that power is incredible, and compared to how soft the tip is it feels like a different rod when loaded with a big fish. The great thing with a medium rod is even a small fish is fun, where a small fish on a fast or ultra fast rod can sometimes be a bit unfair on the fish!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers guys that clears a few issues up.
Yes Tim, alot of standard spinning rods that are light casting weight rods are usually very soft with a very long progressive action. These rods are brilliant fun when you catch a fish on them, I used to have a 1-3oz Fibertube flattie rod, it bent in a huge arc when even a 1lb bass was on it, but strangely even a 5lb 4oz was amazing, the rod just absorbs the fight. In reality though a soft action rod is usually hard to work lures with when using alot of the lures and methods that we commonly use.

Edit: Just read what Vidar wrote above, my statement here is of course my opinion, and alot of people ask me if rods are soft etc, maybe its a shop thing? Officially I would think Vidar is correct.

The power comes in lower Jamo, but in rods like the Super Mix that power is incredible, and compared to how soft the tip is it feels like a different rod when loaded with a big fish. The great thing with a medium rod is even a small fish is fun, where a small fish on a fast or ultra fast rod can sometimes be a bit unfair on the fish!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I too like medium action rods and I have owned many,in fact most of my Pike rods over the years have been medium action and some 'slow to medium'.
Obviously they are more 'forgiving' than the really fast stuff (rod bar and rlsd) and are in my opinion much nicer to play fish on,but you do loose out on precision etc.
The Varivas range in question does look very very nice and 'different' which is a good thing and I like the look and spec of the shorter ones and will be looking to 'invest' early next year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the key thing to remember is that carbon technology has progressed in leaps and bounds from when the stuff first came out and some of these terms were coined. There are two distinct things - firstly the speed of the rod i.e. slow, medium, fast, etc. is the relative length of time that it takes for the blank to recover from flex back to straight. To try and put this in perspective, on slow rod the tip will wobble alot as it recovers to the straight position; whereas on a fast rod, the tip will recover the straight position very quickly.

The second thing is flex, i.e how far down the blank the rod will bend when under load. You can have a very fast rod that bends through to the grip, i.e. a parabolic flex (e.g. Branzino Full Moon Custom); or a fast action that is stiff and doesn't flex in more than the tip or top 1/3 of the rod; or something in between (e.g. Morethan Demon Blood/Branzino Power Game Custom). Conversely you can have a stiff slow rod and a parabolic slow rod and any variation in between; but I wouldn't bother ;)

The terminology is ambiguous and I don't claim to be a materials engineer, so take it with a pinch of salt! Which you prefer is kind of up to you and what you want the rod to do. I don't want a stiff rod for bass, but I do want a fast action.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think the key thing to remember is that carbon technology has progressed in leaps and bounds from when the stuff first came out and some of these terms were coined. There are two distinct things - firstly the speed of the rod i.e. slow, medium, fast, etc. is the relative length of time that it takes for the blank to recover from flex back to straight. To try and put this in perspective, on slow rod the tip will wobble alot as it recovers to the straight position; whereas on a fast rod, the tip will recover the straight position very quickly.

The second thing is flex, i.e how far down the blank the rod will bend when under load. You can have a very fast rod that bends through to the grip, i.e. a parabolic flex (e.g. Branzino Full Moon Custom); or a fast action that is stiff and doesn't flex in more than the tip or top 1/3 of the rod; or something in between (e.g. Morethan Demon Blood/Branzino Power Game Custom). Conversely you can have a stiff slow rod and a parabolic slow rod and any variation in between; but I wouldn't bother ;)

The terminology is ambiguous and I don't claim to be a materials engineer, so take it with a pinch of salt! Which you prefer is kind of up to you and what you want the rod to do. I don't want a stiff rod for bass, but I do want a fast action.
Good explanation. I think the terms originated from the early days of glass rods. In those days due to the limitations of the material fast taper was the only way you got fast action. Slower taper and medium taper were in turn slower action and medium action. Then we had compound taper which actually means multiple taper rather than some people's understanding of slow.
Now the taper of the rod is not so relevant as manufacturers used advanced materials, multiple tapers and wall thicknesses to gain whatever action they desire. The aforementioned Supermix is a prime example of compound taper, although in realiity it is compound action. The tip section behaves like a medium taper rod but the butt section is super stiff. Ideal for casting small lures and landing big fish. LRF rods are other examples, especially the hollow tip ones where they can use lower modulus carbon in the tip for flexibility and bite detection and higher modulus carbon to stiffen the lower section of the rod.
So in the modern world taper is less relevant than action.

·
6,295 Posts
Fantastic answers here, it does make sense too. It is great that we are slowly catching up with the leading countries and their understanding of needing specific rods for specific jobs. For so many years we all used one lure rod for everything...we still caught fish but its so much more fun, and productive, to use the right gear for the job in hand. Lure availablity in the UK has come on incredibly fast over the last couple of years, it only makes sense that we now question what we use to throw them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts