The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any other colors which have been successful beside AYU for Xlayers?
Whats the difference between giant & original one except size? 11cm/original seems to be more suitable?
Also I wonder how do you fish with Xlayers? With jigheads?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i had a cracking wrasse last night on the avacado and silver 4.5 mate using a decoy 3gram head, tried 7 and 10 though were sinking too fast for my liking..
Bounced along the bottom with a good twitch thrown in and worked a treat. :|

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Emre i have caught on both the original and the giant xlayer in Ayu,Wagasaki and french silver, earlier in the year the original did best for me but the last 2 months the giant has out fished the smaller one easily. I use jig heads between 3 and 15gm or weedless.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Never caught anything on a giant Xlayer Emre, I have Ayu and the Shrimp and Minnow colour. The originals in Ayu have far out-fished the giants for me. My new Xlayer clones have caught a few but haven't managed to use them much yet.
On the LRF side I have them in Ayu and Wagasaki, the Ayu do better by 20:1.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've never noticed colour making too much difference for me personally. I do like Wakasagi and Ayu, and when I've struggled to get Ayu (it's only subconscious weirdness that makes me look for them first anyway...) I've caught really well on the Golden Shad. I've not tried the Shrimp and Minnow, but am keen to - over sand.

Jigheads usually for me. The standard ones sit really, really nicely on the 1/0 Ecogear Iwashi heads from 3g up.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I like the white 'glow' colour of the Xlayer,this colour seems to me to attract attention from all sorts of species.
Seem to work in clear or murky water.
I love them but they are just so so expensive for a 'silicone softie.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nick, agreed they are at least double the price of "equivalent" softies, but dammit they just work. Only used the standard, never giant or tiny yet.
Wrasse on Emaraude & Sparkle Berry so far, mainly fished on lightly weighted (2g) offset hooks. Bass on Ayu, using 7g football head jig.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Have had good results for bass on
Ayu
Shrimp and minnow
Emerauld
Avocado and silver
Aniseed
Wakasski
Arura shad
So they all seem to do the buisness when the fish are about......

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I like the white 'glow' colour of the Xlayer,this colour seems to me to attract attention from all sorts of species.
Seem to work in clear or murky water.
I love them but they are just so so expensive for a 'silicone softie.
Have a few of them to try next day out nick like the high viz look about them

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
there is a ton of stuff on the xlayers on forum if you use the 'search' facility.

colours ?

Used loads and loads of colours.
For wrasse, boy, having the right colour makes a difference.

It was Emeraude, and whilst that colour is still HOT !, more neutral colours are smoking now.

For Bass, well, I've found the neutral colours excellent and 'ayu', yes, been good but no better than any other after hotspotting it with a 'spike it pen'.

I have used mini, standard and giant. I've gone through hundreds of em.

they are all 'excellent' and 'must have' for any budding soft lure exponent if only because they carry intrinsic value. Problem i have experienced is, people are scared to death to lose them ? This is more akin to hard lures and has no place in HRF Bass, Wrasse or otherwise. Guys were crying earlier this year as the Cuttles systematically dismantled them.

Can't afford it, don't throw em, simple. xlayers have become addictive and withdrawl is painful yet sometimes necessary.

Personally, I believe, that aside, we should be aware of cost which, in this case is a real downer. Brilliant as they are, are they worth £14 a packet ?
That of course is a personal choice. I choose to use them, others won't based upon that fact but, I source many from intermittent stocks online from Japanese retailers.

However: Be aware.

You are limited on stock, allowances, waiting time and, postage.
To make it worthwhile, you need to order 20 packets or so. Many stores limit you to 3 of one colour so you need to experiment with stuff a bit to make it pay.

Or, you could just walk into mrfish and have a wall full. The choice is there and with the latter, you get to see whats hot etc and they are 'in stock'.
Something that many cannot claim.

Expensive yes, no doubt. Crazy really but, I'll still be using them when the fishing warrants it.

I hope this makes sense of it because lures, money and objectivity can become cloudy at best sometimes...

it's just my opinion after all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for valuable replies. I'll consider all of them. It seems that Ayu in original size is the winner. And jighead varies around 10grs depends on conditions...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Thanks to all for valuable replies. I'll consider all of them. It seems that Ayu in original size is the winner. And jighead varies around 10grs depends on conditions...
I would say about 7g HRF as a rough starter, I fluctuate betweeen 1, 2 and 3g LRF.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Get the Toonah gear out Keith! In decent current I have fished down to weightless or 2g on a standard xlayer near the top and 20g fixed Texas jig head and giant Xlayer through the water column in deeper water. I have also caught plenty on 20g heads and standard xlayers in deeper water off the boat (30-60ft). If they are down deep you have to get down somewhere near them, it's not subtle.......I think we need a trip to the Gulf of Morbihan to see some proper current.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is loads of info on XLayers on this site as Keith says. Personally I found this year that although Ayu is ok the shrimp one is better (over sand/gravel). The lighter the jig head the better as many takes happen just after the lure hits the water and is sinking. Otherwise I get many takes when the lure is just sitting on the bottom. Next year I want to try even lighter jig heads than I am using this year. The last thing is that fresh lures are better than used. You can anoint older ones with aniseed/vaseline which gives a bit more of a kick I find. The price is high of course but compared to bait fishing I think well worth it.
Nick

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have caught on used Xlayers that have lost their scent , I discard the ones that are torn to shreds by fish but the most important thing is as long as the profile and presentation is right !.. in my opinion it really does not matter whether it has scent or not when fishing normal conditions ,I have caught on unscented Senko worms and Shads as well, the only time I could see the potential of a scented lure is when the water is coloured.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts