The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the slightly more complicated "Tour" is one thing to get people introduced and fishing with eachother, should we introduce something a lot simpler - with the single aim of introducing anglers to eachother? Almost like a teach-in/love-in/plug-in?! A series of organised meeting days around the country? Some of these may be very small and they could rely totally on the anglers in that area sorting themselves out, but if 'meeting days' were advertised (on forums and in shops) would people actually go along? A chance for total beginners to perhaps meet more experienced anglers in their area? A chance for all to compare notes and laugh at the seriousness of everyday forum politics? A chance to catch fish in the company of others?

I mean this in the widest of 'bumbling' senses - more widely advertised and prepared meeting places for bumbles....?

There'd be no prizes, no points, no overnight hotels required, no entry costs, no expense... Just local lure anglers getting to meet eachother and go fishing! Think about it, there must be lots of anglers in your area that you never talk to, meet, or probably even see. I know that they exist around me, but I never, ever see them! No matter what your ability, would people do it?

What would be required at such a thing to make people go along? A 'pro' to give free advise? A tackle display (PROPER lure fishing stuff!)? 6 hours fishing (max!) followed by a guarenteed pint with some new friends in the local drinking hole?

The likelyhood of getting reports and pictures of days like this in to magazines would be very high - and this can only help in getting the joys of lure fishing out there a little bit further?! Smiley faces, shiney bass, one short rod and a tiny rucksack...give the bait fishermen something to think about?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Member introductions?

Something we can no doubt trial next weekend Ben?
No matter how good a forum is, there's just no substitute for meeting & fishing with others.
I've really enjoyed my fishing last year, but have also met new people and been to new places.
This is as much of the attraction for me as the actual fishing.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly Jez! Nothing like actually being able to meet others face to face. How many of my friends around here can I talk to about the fishing I do?!...... um.... none! My girlfriend (being amazing) regularly chucks words like XLayer and "Tide Minnow" in to conversation - which is hilarious, but doesn't quite compensate for the lack of actually "talking fishing". :lol:

We're all a bit relaxed when it comes to organising things; there's no denying it. But if these 'bumble sessions' were partly organised by other people (me, whoever...), then it would make everybodies lives easier and hopefully get people meeting, fishing, talking and spreading the love! :wackit:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking initiative Ben. We started doing something like this here in the Principality last year. We had a cracking turn-out of 22 anglers, on just 2 weeks notice. We'll be organising more of these bigger bumbles this year, along with some smaller more informal bumbles.

Our last big bumble was, i think it fair to say, enjoyed thoroughly by all who attended, and those that couldnt make it were gutted to miss it. It was a wonderful, unpressured way to learn, share info, meet like-minded nutters, and just enjoy all that is great about this sport.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect guys! This is what I'm talkin about! The more the merrier. People don't need to necessarily travel a long way, and the main point is just for people to have fun. No ties.

Obviously I have a lot on my hands, but I'll eventually set about sorting something central out to base it all from - rather than us relying just on forums (which actually limits the turnouts in some areas I'd imagine).

Could be good!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ben
As Simon has commented, what you have suggested is almost exactly what we organised last summer. Impromptu, informal and very inclusive. Everyone got something from the day and as a result I have a bunch of new fishing mates - perfect! We will certainly be doing more of these in 2010 and whilst this forum will be the focus of our audience, I am sure that invites going up elsewhere won't do any harm. No prizes, no pressure just fishing with like-minded people and those keen to learn. It's surprising how many of us there are out there! Good way to get new people for the membership here, too. I'm thinking May sometime for our first "organised" gathering. I'll be stunned if we haven't had some smaller trips out by then though - I know of certain people with certain new toys that need an outing....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts