The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Menai Straits Update

The Menai Straits has had some interesting developments over the weekend with the bulk of the Bass leaving the area for their winter grounds, this is unusual as they the tend to hang around a bit longer if the weather is mild. The fishing last week on the rising tides was superb, I was only able to do the night tides but were just as productive as the day tides as I was informed but a tad better when comparing catch reports with fellow Bass anglers. If you are able to go this weekend lure fishing to any beaches from Pwllheli southwards you might be pleasantly surprised with a good catch of Bass this all depends if the weather is reasonable, coming back to the Straits there will be a window of opportunity to catch a decent fish next month on the rising tides there will not be many of them about but they will be big fish, the best approach would be to concentrate on deep water marks with fast flowing water here it would be wise to use Paddle tails and Xlayers with jig heads to suit the conditions .

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Interesting post Gary. Stupid question, but how do you know they've moved off?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Interesting post Gary. Stupid question, but how do you know they've moved off?
With past experienced and with what happened last week… fish shoaling up!.. and reliable information from local anglers who fish the Menai Straits on a daily basis who I get first hand knowledge from about the movement of the fish, have seen a big drop in their catches this week (which is a sign of fish moving away) plus the anglers on the south side of North Wales have been getting more fish than normal.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice one, could do with that sort of information network down this way. Just keep fishing until we continually blank!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
With past experienced and with what happened last week… fish shoaling up!.. and reliable information from local anglers who fish the Menai Straits on a daily basis who I get first hand knowledge from about the movement of the fish, have seen a big drop in their catches this week (which is a sign of fish moving away) plus the anglers on the south side of North Wales have been getting more fish than normal.
hi Gary..........had always thought that once they start moving south for the winter ,it was a gradual ,..slow movement out of the straits .out to puffin, and then slowly back around the coast past point lynas .round south stack....past cymyran ,llanddwyn..........and gradually down the lleyn to Bardsey and beyond? are you saying they have just vanished and are already down in cardigan bay ???? sounds a bit weird to me........water is still 12c accross north wales.....

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Trevor,

As you know through catch reports from other North Wales forum members and mine the fishing has been very good the last couple of weeks on the Straits and surrounding areas with it peaking last week but from now on things have stared to slow down,if you read my post again you will see that I do not mention anything about them vanishing I said that "the bulk" of them have moved on,it is unusual for them to do this and I agree with you on what you said that the water temp is 12 degrees but I have seen this happen before.The Straits has started to show a sprinkling of Codling, Whiting & Gurnard which is good if your are going to have a go at them with Sp,s which I intend to do so over the next coming weeks but keep in mind the possibility of a nice Bass on the next making tides with the method I have already mentioned.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Lots of bass still around,they are shoaling for sure,....not just west but all around north wales coast.Gaz do you think the menai fish vanish as soon as the last moult finishes and join up with bigger shoals further out.One thing i know is how versatile crab moult can be,be it frost or freshwater run off the numbers plumit.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Daz,

There is probably still a lot of Bass along the Coastline but the bulk of has already gathered up in shoals on the offshore marks ready to move off to their winter grounds, I can definitely tell you that they are not in the Straits in numbers like they were but you will still catch fish.

Regarding the Crab peel and weather impacts on the Straits, I can tell you that Crab moult and bait fish play a big part here, rain water does not really effect the Bass over the summer time it just colours the water but if you have a cold snap towards the end of autum where you get cold Northerly winds or ice and snow melt water flowing into the Straits from one of the many rivers this will drop the water temp in the straits by several degrees and the fish do not like this and they will go !

·
Registered
184 Posts
In case you missed it:

In Welsh with English subtitles, a very enjoyable programme about life on the Menai straits over the 4 seasons:

http://www.s4c.co.uk/ffeithiol/e_yfenai.shtml

New series. A chance to experience the autumn along the banks of the Menai Strait. The livelihood of a fisherman from Rhosgadfan is uncertain but the waters offer hope to...

Programme is shown on S4C at 9.00pm on Wednesdays.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Right Gary, think I've got it now buoy.:-D

The company I work for has just designed some some repairs and a new landing pontoon for Beaumaris Pier, work should start early next year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That looks like a very interesting program. Unfortunately I can't understand a bloody word of it without subtitles. Really annoying that nearly every Welsh language TV program does not have English subtitles so that the great majority of people in Wales who pay for these programs cannot watch them. Rant over.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gary - I watched it on my laptop and managed to get subtitiles on - there was a menu/icon for selecting titles, along the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gary - I watched it on my laptop and managed to get subtitiles on - there was a menu/icon for selecting titles, along the bottom of the screen.
Yes your right. I miss read the subtitle menu which I though was informing that there was no subtitle. Stupid me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts