Metal Lures | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Metal Lures

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bass

I've done a bit of a search and there seems to be a bit of a gap when it comes to metal lures here on TLF.

There is the excellent guide to Modern Bass Lures but do any of you guys regularly use metal lures for bass, salmon or seatrout? As well as the standard "go to" Tobies and Dexters, I'm thinking in terms of the Press Bait Fusion, P-Boy Jig Casting, and I've recently stumbled across some by Gamakatsu that look quite interesting too

Just wondering what you guys use and when you'd use them?

2. TLF Admin

Rob , I don't use many metals now but when i was younger and fishing with my Dad , we used to use what they called snacks ( yanns ) from 10g up to 40g ,
    The last time i used metals i was using the french Flashmer yanns again in small sizes up to 40g for shore work and 200g for vertical fishing from the Boats ...

[​IMG]

3. Bass

Yeah I used the 150g Williamson Speed Jigs (Benthos?) on an uptider over in Norway and it consistantly outfished standard pirks, very interested in jigging using lighter lures between 20g and 40g to give me extra options using my Rod Bar this year

4. Tarpon

I've used metals over the past year. The Duo Press Bait is the obvious one. The other one i've had some success with is the 'Bait Breath' One Bait.

I've also been on the look-out for some more metals for this year though, as i have a few spots in mind for them ;).

5. TLF Admin

Hi Rob just added a pic of the metals ..

6. Bass

Cool, cheers Bob! May have to get myself a few of those

P-boy-jig-long-BP.jpg Duo-Custom-Press-Bait-Fusion3.jpg Winter stuff.jpg

It's this kinda thing that intreagues me, plus the Duo Press Bait Si mentioned

7. Wrasse

Been using the smith super ulm (v. similar to a press bait) quite a bit last two years as a flutter OTD lure amongst bait etc and it's unbeatable on it's day.
    Brilliant bait for whacking at sitting birds etc just to see if there's anything home.
    Wouldn't leave home without it.
    Think the fact there's not that many people using these type of baits is that the water a lot of people are fishing is not more than a few feet deep.
    I use them when on the boat or yak and find they really come into their own when you have 10/15ft+ of water to work with.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Salmon

Rob,
    Here is a tip for the tackle box. Halco Twisty (5-40g), I have been using these from years ago. Standard shore based casting slug in Australia. Caught dozens of species on them, dirt cheap, and tough as hell. My proferred lure for tuna up to 20lb. Loads of even cheaper copies out there-don't bother the copies are cr*p (technical term).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blanker

Hey, did anybody tried this lures? Any feedback for Bass?
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Pollock Supporting Member

Welcome Dmytro. Havent tried them, but they look really interesting for Trolling, or some kind of vertical jigging (maybe even out of the back of a boat on a fast drift?) Cant see them casting very well though! I think Perch would love them, if they did sub 4" sizes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. Mackerel

IMGP0220.JPG

Aliexpress 40g and not expensive. Caught well last year . Bottom right is a Madfish 50g lure that rarely lets me down. Mainly for Pollock , Coalfish and Mackerel