The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the lip of the spool starts to get chipped and scratched, what's the best way of returning it to it's former smooth-casting glory? Is it best to try and rub it down with wire wool and repaint with a Hammerite type paint or do you guys have any other suggestions?

I'd love to say this was down to years of abuse on local rock marks but no, I was a real numpty! Did my suitcase full of washing after Jersey and after half an hour heard what turned out to be my Stradic spare spool clattering around inside the machine! Doh!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had this problem with a shimano stradic....Got a strip of enery cloth and sanded the lip carefully just to rubb out the imperfections then polished the spool lip with coarse T-Cut....The reel cast better now !

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah I would have suggested emery cloth tool rather than wire wool. Car parts shops like bennetts should stock some decent metal polishes which will help get the scratches out.

If you still have a few chips or deep scratches I'd be tempted to try and smooth them over with a couple of coats of Sally Hansen 'hard as nails' nail varnish rather than gloopy hammerite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts