Metals question | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Metals question

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Snapper

When speaking to folk they often say for instance "i'll use metal jigs up to 7g on a rod rated to 12g" and I have heard the same with heavier setups, i.e. people only go half to two thirds of the casting limit when using metals.

Why is this? Is there more force from a metal in contrast to a jig head/softie combo?

Where do you cast up to in relation to the upper casting limit for the following;

Plugs

Metals

Softie/ jighead combo

2. Tarpon

I go over on all of them. He who dares !!

I certainly don't hold back for metals. Maybe I'm an idiot though ?

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Only thing to be careful of in my experience, is very big s/p's like Giant Sayori's, as they put a lot of strain on your rod.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

Good question?! I tend to go over the rating when casting metals as their nature and design allows you to compress the rod with minimal effort, no need to "power cast" and they still fly due to their streamlined design.

jig and soft lures I tend to keep it under the max rating as they have rather a huge air resistance which is not good fro a rod.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Striper

Like simoni go slightly over he rods rating, mainly as I am a very lazy caster I don't compress the rod that much and never power cast

• Like Like x 1
  5. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

Keep them coming please, so far I have 3 names on the "My rod broke and it wasnt my fault" list :p

• Like Like x 18
  6. Throbbing Member

I laugh in the face of rod ratings

• Like Like x 5
  7. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

Thats 4 now.....keep em coming

8. Striper

What's heavier, a 7g metal, a 7g plug or a 7g jighead and soft plastic? :-D

I'd treat all equally and respect the ratings if I were blasting any of them out. Rarely do though so can usually ignore casting ratings if I want to.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sea Trout

I use metals of 25g,30g vibes up to 35g Rod rated to 40g!:-D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chub

I only use the stated weight for metals as they load the rod too much when casting with momentum (like when you pull the rod far back fast and then forward creating a lot of tension momentarily) the effect seems to be somewhat lessened when using other lures as they have more air-resistance.. In any case i only use heavier than stated cw lures with soft casts..
    Never broken a rod so far...:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. TLF Admin Staff Member

Casting weights. What a load of bollox, go large, the rod'll prolly take it :p (within reason :p ) Add me to that list Micko :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snapper

Thats exactly why I asked the question, it doesn't make sense to me to use only half what the rod is capable of, but I am often neglecting an important factor in my equations and thought that may be the case.

13. Striper

As a couple of people have already said, air resistance may act against less streamlined lures and may add to the load on the rod but I wouldn't imagine the effect would be that great.

Casting ratings are only truely accurate in a vacuum I suppose. :-D

14. Sea Trout

I must be a right pussy :sad: my rod is rated to 45g and only lob a 42g Sg eel

you have no worries with me Mick unless i do a Matt Brumby :-o

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snapper

personally I never go over on my rods, purely for the fact it takes so damn long to save for another should it break. I generally stay 2g away from the upper limit and don't snap the butt in any where near as much as mid rating when there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. A

I go over the rating all the time. If I can jump a gulley or fall on my ass and let the rod break my fall she can take it.
    My philosophy now is "I could fall over and snap this rod any time, I could cast a below rated lure and get the tip snapped..point is I don't own a rod I can't afford to replace" the fact of the matter is that I don't want to be on the rocks thinking I should have brought my heavy rod or light rod. If the rod can't handle it it gets sold or put in the shed.
    I would hate to be in a situation where I knew I had a lure in bag that would fit the conditions but couldn't use because I was afraid of the rating on the rod

• Like Like x 3
  17. Wrasse

All I know is a giant sayori shad with the biggest savagear head put a right old bend in the injection when you give it a thump!
    Personally I wouldn't be too worried, you should be able to feel when the rods overloaded. Go way above the ratings on most of my rods. As long as you're can feel when it's too much.
    Metals to me are the easiest to go over on as they offer the least resistance one the cast. I know I can put a 40gm wedge a pretty hefty distance on my little 3 - 18 roadrunner.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

18. Striper

The giant sayori weighs 35g unrigged from memory.

19. Snapper

I tend to plan where I'll fish and take the gear I need for that area

this still all leaves me perplexed as to why those I have spoken to only use up to two thirds of their rods rating. Maybe the weight they go to is all they feel the need.

20. Striper

Or their rods are vastly over-gunned for the fishing they do...