The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had some of these delivered, didn't think they would be so tiny,was thinking size16/18 hook (its been a while since freshwater) split shot on the nose or carolina, any ideas?, thanks carl

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
split shot carolina and...
my new method based upon the fact I recently discovered many of the takes I've been missing on carolina rigs have been pollack hitting the shot OTD.

so, enter the inline, leadcore.

no shot for em to grab and its less snaggy HRF too.
Working on it as we speak.

i had great success on those tiny yamas-hita worm bake lures last winter and I can't see these failing Carl.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
split shot carolina and...
my new method based upon the fact I recently discovered many of the takes I've been missing on carolina rigs have been pollack hitting the shot OTD.

so, enter the inline, leadcore.

no shot for em to grab and its less snaggy HRF too.
Working on it as we speak.

i had great success on those tiny yamas-hita worm bake lures last winter and I can't see these failing Carl.
Are you talking about pushing soldering wire into the SP Keith? I imagine you can push this is to get the exact weighting you want. As you can get it in some hefty sizes I reckon it'd be handy for some HRF too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I usually use yamashita ma-worm and ma-squid, worm bake other in 1", 1.5" and 1.8" with beak heads 2,5 and 3 grams. They are my usually LRF lures. They are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Consider also they snag very little.....

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Haha, we are going to be stringing no8's before long! Styls were popular for when Roach were hitting shot when fishing with hemp I think, would be worth a go. Even maybe a length of leadcore, or tungsten putty around a BB, Olivette's etc. Quite a big cross over when you look into it and get properly small.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Styls are used over shot to allow a slower fall for the same weight (bigger surface area). For the stuff we're talking about, check out the Preston Innovations Stotz. They're kind of a cross-breed and more user-friendly than styls (which need pliers in the smaller sizes).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
opted for size 10 norm gape, and just ordered some tungsten putty to try next week, will post if anything looks good

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Carl,
I have some of those, I got some size 11 0.2g Owner jigheads from Japan, that match them. But split shot infront of the eye of the hook seems to work well.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim, I was out tonight and was trying to battle rain and wind, at one point went to 1.4g jigheads and they feel like cannonballs now. But you can wind down to 0.2g heads and shake them- Plenty of contact there. Retired very wet, and very cold, 4 hours for 1x goby and 1x small Whiting.
0.2-0.4g jigheads are really common in japan, but I still prefer the decoy 0.4g from ****.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Tim, I was out tonight and was trying to battle rain and wind, at one point went to 1.4g jigheads and they feel like cannonballs now. But you can wind down to 0.2g heads and shake them- Plenty of contact there. Retired very wet, and very cold, 4 hours for 1x goby and 1x small Whiting.
0.2-0.4g jigheads are really common in japan, but I still prefer the decoy 0.4g from ****.
What outfit are you using Mike? My ULX tends to start losing feel on a 1g jighead, mind you, the new lighter braid my help...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
0.3PE and a 7' Bushy (waiting for the new rod to arrive), it is the braid that makes the difference, you can see and feel the tension on the braid. Anything even breathing on the lure feels like a violent assault. Varivas Light RockFish braid.

Reactions: Tim Murphy

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sam,
I am looking at an Aji style rod, solid tip 0.5-7g about 7-7.5' I have been reading/researching alot in Japan. And the Aji rods suit the widest range of techniques. Will probably end up getting a all out mebaru rod in the spring as well, hollow tip 0.5 -3.5g again about 7'-****'s got the Varivas ones in, and having seen their seabass rods-I am betting they will be awesome.
Got some goodies coming from Japan as well, which should open up some more options for LRF fishing-will post it all up when it gets here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dave are yours the yashikawa ones im having probs sourcing more and they look the nuts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Carl,
They are Owner Cultiva Balancerheads JH-88 No.11753 paid 340 yen for a packet of 5
available in size 9 hook 0.5g 0.6g
and in size 11 hook 0.2g,0.3g &0.4g
Oversized eye which really helps at night, black head and worm retaining bump.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry dave meant the sp's,
tim iv just startd using sunline rockfish .4pe and on the ulx with the metals the difference is un real, gonna try some dead light heads next week will let u know how the ulx copes against a solid tip

1 - 20 of 22 Posts