The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chatting with Dave earlier, we got on to the subject of fishing for mackerel in the summer using very light poppers and the fact that they were difficult to come by. I mentioned that while I was in OZ one of the hot baits among bream anglers were styrofoam poppers made from flip flops!!!! A guy was cutting out a cyclinder shape from deep flip flops and turning it down on a lathe adding rubber bands to make 'legs', wire through the centre and a treble at the rear. Hey presto a light very bouyant popper.

Dave mentioned fly poppers. Woohoo! Perfect for light tackle mackerel fishing. If I can get the right size bodies they should be easy to make, A wire through the centre, a little solder glued to the wire for casting weight and a treble hook and we have a LRF rod popper.

Anybody know a source of popper bodies for fly tying?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
popper

hi mike,a good cheap way for bodies is foam ear plugs.i used to make them years ago out of the yellow ones,also used make yellow grubs with copper wire for trout and grayling.cheers daz

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike,
something like these??

http://www.bearsden.com/page352.html
Scroll down a bit, I might get a hold of some and rig them up. I have made them in the for everything form bass to marlin and GT's. Cost effective and they work well especially when mylar covered.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave, they look good. I am sure we could make some interesting lures using those. Let me know when you plan on ordering and we can split the postage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts