The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good days fishing last week at the Gower which resulted in 10 schoolies between me and my m8( thanks again to Simon for the PM) we headed back sunday hoping for some more success and hopefully something bigger, but after 5 hrs of trying we did`t manage a thing.Feeling a bit down as we headed back home we decided to have a look at a mark we previously talked about trying, when we got there the parking was good and only a short walk before the plugs got wet, which was a relief after we had just been walking for miles roasting in neoprene waders:evil:. The rods were still set up in the car so we quickly grabbed them with a couple of plugs each and were fishing within minutes, the tide was about 2 1/2 till low and a lot of weed floating about but we thought we would give it a try as it was only a short distance back to the car so nothing lost. 2nd cast my mate landed a schoolie which got the both of us pumped up, about 5 mins l8r i chucked my plug just to the side of me about 4ft out in water no more than 2 ft deep, SLAM! my tip bent double and line was tearing from my reel, Im in! i shouted but my m8 was about 70yds away and was snagged on some kelp so i was on my own, after about 5 mins and 7 or 8 good runs and a couple of hairy moments with the fish diving for cover around a few sharp rocks i`d beaten a nice fish of around 5-6lb, yes! i thought after all the hours i`ve put in its finally paid of, but just as i was about to lift him out of the water the line snapped:-o i was absolutely gutted, damn those sharp rocks! (not the exact words i used) the fish seemed to swim off in slow motion, even worse (for the fish) my plug was still attatched to the fish:sad:. After 10 mins with me sat their with my head in my hands i decided to chuck on my other plug a Rapala J11 and try again. that next hour was the hardest i`ve ever fished, we decided to call it a day and said 5 more mins as the tide was too low and we were getting snagged almost every cast in the kelp, to avoid the kelp i chucked my plug about 8ft out next to a small rock, about 3 turns of the reel and SLAM! rod bent over again and the fish was taking a lot of line, Im in again! i shouted, luckily my m8 was right next to me this time so i had the help i needed, around 5 mins l8r and a good fight i landed a beautiful bass of 6lb!by far my biggest yet:wackit: i was exstatic, after all that time and effort i finally caught something bigger than a pound:wackit2: and hopefully my 1st decent bass mark. And to make the weekend even better i had a text from Mark d yesterday about the offer i made him on his Rod Bar, so im now a proud owner of a RED 1:wackit: though i did feel a bit guilty after as i know how much he loved that rod, thanks Mark, and it was nice to have met you, top bloke!

I`ve been having a bit of trouble uploading pics so i`ve put the picture of the bass as my profile picture.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well done Stuart its great when a bit of effort pays off, great report. Shame about the first fish but I guess we all live in fear of that one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
great stuat well done on the pb and a really nice report to read

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Stuart,
The highs and lows of fishing!!!
Well done on sticking with and bagging a new PB, playing 6lb bass is always nerve wreacking ("please don't come off, please don't come off" etc)
Will have a peak at the pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jeff. It was definately a squeeky bum moment Dave, i almost pushed my m8 in to get it in safe for me, if i would have lost 2 i would of jumped of the nearest cliff lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts