The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got down to West Wittering at 7am to catch the tide coming in - had meant to get up uber early but overslept again - this working for a living is killing my early Sat starts!

Got the kayak into the clear water and paddled way out into the mouth of Chi harbour - lovely start although very quiet and not alot of bird activity - gunna be a tough one!

Managed to track and paddle over to a small school of terns and fished a ray's fly - good sandeel imitation and had a few follow on's from tiny bass *ho hum* ... then a few casts later a lovely big bass came swimming in literally on the fly all the way to the kayak - I ran out of swing and he seemed to sniff the tail end and turned tail back into the blue - cursing as I reckon he was a good fat 60 cm!

Very quiet and hot morning that was tough going - paddled in to the shingle bank and wading towing the kayak (not casting) I spooked another lovely bass in a foot of crystal clear water - must have been sunbathing!

Managed to snag a few small un's on a self tied chartreuse clouser (extra heavy version) so not a blank but I am learning! (will crack this mark)

Paddling back was tough - the tide rips across a flat near where I launch - huge sand boils that I went over were amazing to watch but not a hint of fish (do Bass get irritated by suspended sand?) oh and I have burnt my arms and legs!

The paddling has really taken its toll so I am going to scrap tomorrows plans and concentrate on the football and BBQ!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Had follows from a couple of really good bass recently-sadly without a hook up. So I know how it feels.
You will get a good one on fly shortly.
Tight lines

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alex - sounds like you are on a steep learning curve but certainly on an upward trend! Sounds great fun. I too lost a good 'un last night so I am sympathetic to your plight...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice report Alex shame about the bale out, I bet the (not so) old heart was pounding a bit..

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nice one Alex it was a beautiful morning yesterday. i was out at 3am ,i saw some lovely fish, and the water was so clear, but i could not hook in to them either, i tried ever thing, but failed.thats fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts