The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im posting the catch report tomorrow from tonights session, but just thought I would share a few things from tonight.

1. No fish taken on a + 3g head on the drop.
2. No fish taken in darker areas.
3. The pollack were more selective or cautious compared to previous outings.
4. The larger lures used = less hookups.

As far im concerned the ' Looney ' and braid performs brilliantly, the lure side of things will proberly address the 4 points above.

1. Can the drop on a 3+g head be altered with any other technique, are their specific heads for specific techniques?
2. Lure visibility? need more vibration? need to be deeper? slower?
3. A distinct lack of baitfish tonight compared to other nights? Alot of debris floating everywhere?
4. Increasing the overall lure length to entice the larger fish didnt make any difference. Went upto 4" lures.

These points are questions I may need to address, im capable of working it out in time just thought i would put them out there to see if others had any thoughts to share?

It may seem like theres loads to run through, but I did manage 15 fish and yet again the Aji meet paired with a decoy 1.8g head were a lethal partnership.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
4" Mike ?
Has Paul B been sending you his 'Tuna' lures ? LOL

ok...

same weight, slower fall.
Swap braid for mono, or, use a longer leader, or, use fly floatant on your braid, or, change jig head shape (squash the head flat maybe), or, turn the lure so it's widest profile offers the most water resistance, or, negate the jig/lure weight by using poly balls slid up the leader, like split shot but in reverse. Casting weight isn't lost, just buoyancy is gained. Any combination of the above works.

with larger lures, less hookups ? try a jap flying stinger. Only around Pollack and go barbless.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have you considered that it might be nothing to do with presentation? If the conditions have changed significantly, then it is likely the fish behaviour will too. It might be that the fish have moved or changed how they are feeding, are they feeding on the bottom rather than up in the water for example?. If the small fish (prey?) are not present then the larger fish may have followed them.
If after trying Keith's points above then that might just be the answer.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike,
If you remeber I managed to score a couple of fish in the dark areas, I am pretty sure it was the vibration of the curly tail grub that was the key factor, I could feel it on your ULX. Also I got those bites at most 6" from the bottom-A pout every time.
Pretty sure a Reins Vib would work just as well.
Not sure if this helps Mike-You are way ahead of me with LRF.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Just past new moon phase, so less "natural" light, I wonder if that might be causing the fish to focus of the artifical light more??

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Crikey you guys are getting it bad!

Change the fall rate? Floating SPs Mike.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Crikey you guys are getting it bad!

Change the fall rate? Floating SPs Mike.
Great idea but, not as straightforward as it sounds IME Paul.
It's rare, extremely rare to see packages mark floating etc..

One of my most successful 'ever' HRF floating worms was that Madness one. Brilliant they were.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Keith have you tried 'hitch hiking' a weedless hook to the blunt end of a 4" senko ?
I know you probably have but wandered if the hook position affected the hook up rate.........

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Keith have you tried 'hitch hiking' a weedless hook to the blunt end of a 4" senko ?
I know you probably have but wandered if the hook position affected the hook up rate.........
yea, sure. Its called 'stoopid rigging'

I did a blog on it earlier this year.

Does it affect hookups ?

On Pollack, maybe it does but Bass when drifting, slow contact needle style or swinging, no, not IME.

·
Registered
498 Posts
whay about suspending pe anyone used it, been looking at some on fleabay(sorry dont know how to get links up) its night game the mabaru it says pe 6lb which is confusing me a bit norm it would be pe #3 etc..( i'l email to you keith have a look and let us know what think pls)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Carl, that line looks fine.

be aware though that, I reckon a suspending line will allow a jig to sink faster than a thin floating one.
However, if the suspending lines are anything the sinking braids, they are worth investigation.

btw:

those lures look hot.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great effort there Mike, you will suss it out soon I'm sure :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts