The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering what breaking strain and diameter braid + leader people will be using this year ?

The trend is to go lighter and thinner and I am considering dropping to .19 15lbs PP and a 15lbs leader from my usual .23 PP and 20-30lbs Seaguar leader.

The difference between .19 and .23 is hardly anything and the extra muscle is good for hauling plugs back etc.

Sitting here at work with nothing to do,decisions decisions.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
0.15mm Powershot, which comes in at 25lb with 15lb leader for main plugging rod (MJ Saltic), 20lb Fireline and 20lb leader on my 'heavy' rod (Shukan), which will be used mainly for the big lures, topwater and vertical stuff, Fireline due to its toughness. Finally 8lb Powerpro (0.11mm?) and 7lb fluoro on my LRF rod. I think I will have covered all the bases there

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Nick,

I use .23pp for launching metal spinners up to 60g with 20lb Ultima flyro leader.

I use .19pp for all my plug and sp work over heads -- kelp with the same leader as above

I use .13pp for all my wading work over claen or relatively clean ground with 12lb Tenryu fluro leader

However, for the last two months I have been using Varivas Avani Bass Max Power .15 8 strand with 14lb Tenryu fluro leader for all my plugging and soft plastic work -- even Wrassing.

Chris

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nick, good point and one I had considered myself. I recently replaced the Whiplash Crystal 20lb on my bass gear which was two seasons old for Powerpro .23, and now wish I had gone for 0.19. Oh well! Like Mark I have gone for the 8lb PowerPro on my new light rod. I haven't christened that one yet, but have had a couple of flicks and it's beautiful.
I have to say I love the PowerPro in general and when I do need to change, I will step down to 0.19 or less for my bass gear. I use 9kg (20lb ish) Berkley Vanish Fluoro for leaders but may try something else when the spool runs out as I find problems with my albright and the fluoro breakign at the knot when snagged. Never breaks anywhere else.
Landed a pike on the .23 PowerPro last weekend and never felt under threat. I think the consensus is that we can fish lighter than generally accepted except in the very roughest areas. I have never lost a fish in the rough, and my lad has only had one fish (bigger than we have ever hooked) bust him up, as I find most bass fight quite high up in the water, negating the need for really heavy gear.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
PE 1.5 for heavy plugging and HRF

PE 0.8 or 1 for general plugging and mixed techniques.

PE 0.4 / 0.6 LRF

That is a considerable drop overall this year.

Will still use very heavy braid for weed ripping styles though.

Going fluorocarbon straight through too ...

10-12lb for Wrasse HRF

5lb for LRF

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
PE 1.5 for heavy plugging and HRF

PE 0.8 or 1 for general plugging and mixed techniques.

PE 0.4 / 0.6 LRF
Keith .... stupid question time .... what do those PE numbers equate to in breaking strain please?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
PE reference is a determination of diameter not breaking strain. However most manufacturers come within a good average BS per diameter. Here's a chart to show conversion rates...

PE No..mm

add to this the standard chart for say Power Pro and you have the results you need...

0.10mm diameter = 5Ib braking strain
0.13mm diameter = 8Ib braking strain
0.15mm diameter = 10Ib braking strain
0.19mm diameter = 15Ib braking strain
0.23mm diameter = 20Ib braking strain
0.28mm diameter = 30Ib braking strain
0.32mm diameter = 40Ib braking strain
0.36mm diameter = 50Ib braking strain

Hope that helps.

P.S. I've added this to the encyclopedia thingy too.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nick - glad you asked as I was too embarassed to let on it doesn't mean anything to me either!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Thanks very much Andy ... much appreciated!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Nick - glad you asked as I was too embarassed to let on it doesn't mean anything to me either!
Glad I am not alone! Felt pretty stupid when everyone was talking PE numbers, and really hadn't a clue!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
PE is a really great system.

Those figures Andy quotes are generally quite good.

However, when the PE rating system came in, PE 1 was around 10lb.

Today it could be as high as 16lb in some braids.

Sunline do some fantastic low PE braids like 0.4 PE at 7 -- 8 LB.

A standard 4 strand 0.4 PE would only rate 4lb.

So the super PE scale was born. Then there are PET/PE hybrid lines being constructed in 8 strands.
Sunline Castway is renowned for being super thin, super strong but, with 1 BIG difference.

It is, unlike most any other braid, highly abrasion resistant. Relative to other braids of course.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Then there are PET/PE hybrid lines being constructed in 8 strands.
Sunline Castway is renowned for being super thin, super strong but, with 1 BIG difference.

It is, unlike most any other braid, highly abrasion resistant. Relative to other braids of course.
Ah ..... so is this THE new line to go for Keith?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
PE is a really great system.

Those figures Andy quotes are generally quite good.

However, when the PE rating system came in, PE 1 was around 10lb.

Today it could be as high as 16lb in some braids.

Sunline do some fantastic low PE braids like 0.4 PE at 7 -- 8 LB.

A standard 4 strand 0.4 PE would only rate 4lb.

So the super PE scale was born. Then there are PET/PE hybrid lines being constructed in 8 strands.

Ah ..... so is this THE new line to go for Keith?
Let us in on the gossip Keith!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
1.2PE Varivas Max power for standard plugging
10lb PP for light rig
15lb and 25lb fluro leaders on the standard gear
8lb and 10lb fluro on the light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts