The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks

After a few sessions plugging I am really enjoying it but I think its time to buy some braid. After searching the net and the forums though I am confused with info overload! Is it general practice to use a mono backing when using braid?

If so, is there a general recommended type or breaking strain? Or is it not so critical what type/strength is used? I have a big spool of 15lb b/s Ultima Power lying around and wondered if that would be fine as backing?

Also, do you just use something like an albright or a uni to uni knot to join mono to backing or is there a particular knot that you use?

Sorry for the novice questions, but would really appreciate any help:)

Cheers
Dean

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Peronally I never bother with mono backing and start winding the braid straight onto the reel.

In terms of knots always use an albright or a reverse albright to join braid to either mono or flouro.

Beat advice I can give you on braid is a) always ensure the line is located correctly on the bail arm before retrieving and b) always retrieve with some pressure in the line. That's how you avoid wind knots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Jon, the thing is I can only afford to buy a 150 yard spool of braid, I dont know if this would be enough to fill up my spool.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Jon, the thing is I can only afford to buy a 150 yard spool of braid, I dont know if this would be enough to fill up my spool.
You only need 150m of braid for plugging. The mono backing is required so you get the correct amount of braid on the spool and not underfilled drastically .... only about 2mm from the lip of the spool. Either knot you mention will be fine.

Plus, if you have no mono backing, there can sometimes be a tendency for the whole lot of braid to slip ... so always best to have some mono on shallow spools, even if only a few meters.

Reactions: Dean Allison

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Dean

I have found that a normal 4000 reel spool will take 300 yards of 20lb fireline braid & a little mono backing. One of the best things to do when you start using braid is to close the bail arm manually, not with the reel handle after the cast & check that there is no loop left in the braid as you start winding in. It becomes second nature to do this after a cast or two.
And Nick is right the braid will slip eventually on the spool if you don't put a little mono backing on or I believe insulation tape will do instead of mono.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
easiest way to get the right amount of line on your reel(if you have a spare spool the same size as the one you intend to use) is to first put the whole of your 150 yds of braid directly onto your spool then connect your mono onto the braid and fill the spool with mono until you have the required level ( as said ,leave it 2=3mm below the lip of the spool,)then switch spools and reel the mono followed by braid back onto the back onto the other spoll and job done.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The Japanese and most other braid nations have no use for mono backing.
They have proper reels built for braid.

Ours aren't.

You don't need mono backing to stop it slipping, you just need to load it properly.
Load braid wet and tight. It doesn't slip if you use a boa knot.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
As Keith has said, no need for mono backing or electrical tape. Just tie a good constriction knot, and load the braid under penty of tension. No problems with braid slipping- Even when used for species harder fighting than bass, like the Skippy in my avatar.

Reactions: Dean Allison

·
Registered
865 Posts
easiest way to get the right amount of line on your reel(if you have a spare spool the same size as the one you intend to use) is to first put the whole of your 150 yds of braid directly onto your spool then connect your mono onto the braid and fill the spool with mono until you have the required level ( as said ,leave it 2=3mm below the lip of the spool,)then switch spools and reel the mono followed by braid back onto the back onto the other spoll and job done.
good tip mate (if you have an empty spare spool) sometimes a right pain if loading mono backin then braid as have had to spool up then remove then respool to get right amount on reel(if you get what a mean) cheers

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm about to spool up some 15lb braid (in orange, yuk!) on to my Rarenium 3000 and I really can't be bothered to muck about putting 5 or so metre's of mono backing on just so it covers the arbor and then attaching the braid.... Will it really make much/any difference if I just stick some electric tape around the arbor and wind the braid straight on?

Also, fao Si Lewis: On your Rarenium have just put a couple of drops in to the maintenance port every few trips or have you greased the handle and oiled the line roller? I only ask because it doesn't say anything about doing that on the instructions?

Cheers lads.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I'm about to spool up some 15lb braid (in orange, yuk!) on to my Rarenium 3000 and I really can't be bothered to muck about putting 5 or so metre's of mono backing on just so it covers the arbor and then attaching the braid.... Will it really make much/any difference if I just stick some electric tape around the arbor and wind the braid straight on?

Also, fao Si Lewis: On your Rarenium have just put a couple of drops in to the maintenance port every few trips or have you greased the handle and oiled the line roller? I only ask because it doesn't say anything about doing that on the instructions?

Cheers lads.
Shimano Aspire braid?

Be careful not to overload the reel with oil, two drops each trip mounts up, you could end up blowing a seal - a friend of mine did this to his Fireblood which Felindre fixed, and warned "too much oil".

·
Registered
932 Posts
No it's Yamatoyo Super PE.

Yes it does say 2 drops every few trips but I'll probably do it every 5 trips. I'm quite careful with my gear when it comes to over oiling and greasing. Cheers for the heads up though.

By the way, you would have laughed your ar5e off if you had seen my SP's after my first real attempt at rigging some yesterday, Paul. It was like a special needs unit for SP's. I am sooooooooooo cack-handed it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
By the way, you would have laughed your ar5e off if you had seen my SP's after my first real attempt at rigging some yesterday, Paul. It was like a special needs unit for SP's. I am sooooooooooo cack-handed it's ridiculous.
Need some tips when you're down?? lol ;-)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
It's just a matter of time. Some people have become experts very quickly LOL.

I fished all day with pre-rigged SPs yesterday, really lazy but the fish didn't seem to care. Was a bit p'd off to get the glue out once...so hot it was making me lazier than usual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts