The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished last night, starting at 11:00 until 01:00 without a sniff. First night session spinning for bass. Tried surface lures and shallow running plugs at a mark I've only fished at higher water previously. Very shallow mark at lower water, but I think there must have been fish there in the deeper gullies searching out crab and small bait fish.
One thing last night, the moon, it was huge and very bright. Line flash must have been a factor. Anyone else had problems with a full moon ?
I made my way back up the rocks at about 01:15 and couldn't beieve it, I had to watch where I was standing to avoid crabs that had come out of their hidey holes at night. There were hundreds of them !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might be worth switching to a dark braid under those conditions.
Did you notice if the line itself spooked any fish, or was there no discernable fish presence?

Darren.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Fished last night, starting at 11:00 until 01:00 without a sniff. First night session spinning for bass. Tried surface lures and shallow running plugs at a mark I've only fished at higher water previously.
Answered your own question really.

Try to initially fish known marks by night at times when fish should be there.
Crabs everywhere indicates you left too early or arrived too late. Bass will come find those and so if the available food source is bottom fodder, fish the lower water column.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keith,

Have you ever tried the Gulp type soft crab imitations? I think it may be worth bouncing/ trotting one of those around, under similar conditions.

Darren.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had exactly the same problem, with same result last night. Fished till about 12.30 by Worm's Head and Falls Bay, Rhossili on the Gower. Went back out at 3.30am till 10 this morning and still nothing.

Do you know which marks on the Gower are fishing well at the moment?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answered your own question really.

Try to initially fish known marks by night at times when fish should be there.
Crabs everywhere indicates you left too early or arrived too late. Bass will come find those and so if the available food source is bottom fodder, fish the lower water column.
It wasn't the fact that the water was lower and by lower I mean only about 2' to 3' lower than normally fished, exposing extra rock. The crab would've been everywhere, above and below the water line and there would've surely been bass present. The question asked was has anyone had probelems with line flash with a full moon. Not the braid particulary, but the flouro leader ? Or had problems with no bites on a full moon and how to get things moving. Ta - Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that a full moon in a clear sky messes up night fishing for sea trout in rivers, in low water conditions. Most anglers avoid such conditions.
I wouldn't be surprised if bass avoided shallow water in similar conditions, but can't spaek from experience.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I for one happily fish nights with bright moonlight, just treat it as you would fishing the same locations on a cloudy day. Yes the bass will be there, and if it is a quiet mark then the bass can be VERY close to the shore. Stealthy approach required. Just remember that if your knees are wet then the bass might be between you and the shore. Bright nights for me mean lures with some flash on them, but no rattles. Shallow runners SLOWLY worked (sometimes so slowly you can barely feel any action), with the first cast often from well back from the waters edge. Spooked TOO MANY bass in the past to assume that any water is too shallow or weedy to hold bass at night. Keep from being silhouetted/or being sky lined, you might not be able to see the bass-but they will be able to see you.Slow right down, each movement must be slow and deliberate. Listen, as you would be surprised how many times bass will give themselves away, by splashing. Also watch the surface of the water, look for wakes, boils, any signs of distrubance (like a change in the surface wave action). The rod/braid has too feel like your connection to the world, every bump,knock, touch of weed is giving you more information about the water in front of you.
Never had any problems with line flash, from blazing midday sunshine through to the darkest nights.

Reactions: Steve Lewis

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Dave Irving said:
Shallow runners SLOWLY worked (sometimes so slowly you can barely feel any action), with the first cast often from well back from the waters edge. Spooked TOO MANY bass in the past to assume that any water is too shallow or weedy to hold bass at night. Keep from being silhouetted/or being sky lined, you might not be able to see the bass-but they will be able to see you.Slow right down, each movement must be slow and deliberate. Listen, as you would be surprised how many times bass will give themselves away, by splashing. Also watch the surface of the water, look for wakes, boils, any signs of disturbance (like a change in the surface wave action). The rod/braid has too feel like your connection to the world, every bump,knock, touch of weed is giving you more information about the water in front of you.
You really are getting this stuff nailed down Dave.
That paragraph is impressive and most accurate.

But New Moon's are better again.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thanks Keith,
I prefer fishing at night locally to day time plugging. Nothing beats the thrill of feeling the hook up at night.
Truth be told, I find new moon nights harder, often more bass around. But getting hook up has proven more differcult.
I love trying to stalk bass at night,especially when they are hard on the beaches. Cape Cod showed me how successful it can be, used to do it with a flyrod (easier than plugging). Night time bass seem more relaxed, at times almost casual. The trick is turning that to your advantage.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike, not sure about "line flash" but I moved three fish in 5 minutes last night around 11pm. It would be an exaggeration to say it was dark, but the line was not a handicao IMO. Only one took the lure (and droppped it after tearing 10+ yards of line off me) but I had their attention in maybe 3' of water?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I for one happily fish nights with bright moonlight, just treat it as you would fishing the same locations on a cloudy day. Yes the bass will be there, and if it is a quiet mark then the bass can be VERY close to the shore. Stealthy approach required. Just remember that if your knees are wet then the bass might be between you and the shore. Bright nights for me mean lures with some flash on them, but no rattles. Shallow runners SLOWLY worked (sometimes so slowly you can barely feel any action), with the first cast often from well back from the waters edge. Spooked TOO MANY bass in the past to assume that any water is too shallow or weedy to hold bass at night. Keep from being silhouetted/or being sky lined, you might not be able to see the bass-but they will be able to see you.Slow right down, each movement must be slow and deliberate. Listen, as you would be surprised how many times bass will give themselves away, by splashing. Also watch the surface of the water, look for wakes, boils, any signs of distrubance (like a change in the surface wave action). The rod/braid has too feel like your connection to the world, every bump,knock, touch of weed is giving you more information about the water in front of you.
Never had any problems with line flash, from blazing midday sunshine through to the darkest nights.
Did all of that, other than a plug with no rattle. A stealthy approach is just basics, whether by day or night. As has been said, moonlight on the water will 'put down' SeaTrout in a pool and any line flash, or lining the fish will only make matters worse. My question related particularly to line flash, especially when fishing shallow or on the surface with a full moon and has anyone had any similar probems. Stephen Cotton appears to have suffered the same problem on the same night. Obviously new moons are better (easier), cause it's dark !

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ok Mike,
Line flash hasn't been an issue for me, with bass. Be it noon or midnight. For that matter it hasn't been an issue for Sea-Trout, Salmon, Trout, Bonefish, Tarpon (even with heavy shocks) , Permit or even sharpest eyed fish in the ocean-Tuna. I have used clear flurocarbon right from the days when it first became available in Japan. So I very much doubt line flash at night is an issue.
However I have guided night flyfishing for both Bass and Sea-Trout, in both cases noise and silhouette have spooked loads of fish. Even a single rock being turned over can send both species fleeing.

As you have said that you had only fished that mark over higher water levels, maybe the bass are holding in different areas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Mike,
Line flash hasn't been an issue for me, with bass. Be it noon or midnight. For that matter it hasn't been an issue for Sea-Trout, Salmon, Trout, Bonefish, Tarpon (even with heavy shocks) , Permit or even sharpest eyed fish in the ocean-Tuna. I have used clear flurocarbon right from the days when it first became available in Japan. So I very much doubt line flash at night is an issue.
However I have guided night flyfishing for both Bass and Sea-Trout, in both cases noise and silhouette have spooked loads of fish. Even a single rock being turned over can send both species fleeing.

As you have said that you had only fished that mark over higher water levels, maybe the bass are holding in different areas.
Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Line flash, as is known to every fly angler world wide is an issue, otherwise you wouldn't degrease the leader when dry fly/nymph fishing and not line the fish when casting and this applies to all fish, particularly to bonefish and sea trout. Bass would've surely been present, at this spot at the time fished, on the last of the ebb, at a point mark with the current sweeping around the small bay and out to the point itself. There was plenty of weed present and this would've held all sorts of food/prey items. As I've said, stealth wasn't an issue, I took one tumble on weed, half way through the session, but then went to fish 100 yards from where I fell. I'm gonna get my snorkel and mask out on the next full moon for a fish eye view and I'll come back to you as to whether the flourocarbon lights up like a neon sign or not.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
You degrease the leader when flyfishing so the line isn't trapped in the surface flim, which casts a shadow, not to stop it "flashing". All mono filament line trap/internally reflect some line-however Flouro is so close to water it is all but invisible to fish, bare in mind it was designed for long line fishing for tuna-A fish with eye sight in water almost unequalled by any other species of fish.
If by line flash you mean dropping the flyline too close to the fish, then yes that will spook the fish. Lining any fish will often spook it-But in flyfishing that is a product of poor casting not the material and properties of the leader materials.
Anyway best of luck, I am sure that you will work something out that suits you. Hope you have some photos of night bass caught bass for us soon. Take care of yourself out there in the dark. Mistakes are easy to make, and often painful.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I hadn't explained myself properly. By line flash, I meant that the line would be visible, either as a shadow, or actually become visible when moved, through the moonlight hitting the line. Keith mentioned moonlit nights being poor previously on another site....

bright moons suck generally unless you use shadow lines or fish under bait as opposed to over it.
Bass cast shadows too eh..

Just trying to work out why ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You degrease the leader when flyfishing so the line isn't trapped in the surface flim, which casts a shadow, not to stop it "flashing".
That's why I do it too Dave.

Keith mentioned moonlit nights being poor previously on another site....
Yes, I prefer dark nights. Fish are more confident, come into places they won't under sunlight and bright moonlight unless there is current, stronger winds or whitewater.
I'd say New Moons, everything else being equal are 30 - 40% more likely to throw up a good fish but so can bad weather full moons too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's why I do it too Dave.

Yes, I prefer dark nights. Fish are more confident, come into places they won't under sunlight and bright moonlight unless there is current, stronger winds or whitewater.
I'd say New Moons, everything else being equal are 30 - 40% more likely to throw up a good fish but so can bad weather full moons too.
Yeah, with cloud cover I suppose the fishing would possibly be better with the increased tidal range. It's just when the moon is nearly as bright as the sun it causes problems ! Thinking back there was hardly a ripple either which isn't ideal. I thought darkness would be the go, but failed to take note of the lunar event ! Thanks - Mike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts