The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last weeks successful learning curve with the Xlayers I decided to go and try a different mark which is on my own doorstep which fishes well with float fished live Prawn and Blennies.

I was fishing a flooding tide again and anchored the boat about 20-30 yards away from the rocks and adopted the same tactics again casting out on a 45 degree angle towards the rocks and controlling the drop of the lure and letting the tide carry it around to the back of the boat with very little movement to the rod.

All the fish like the last session were all hooked in the top of the mouth and seem to hit the lure as it came around,I think the initial splash of the lure hitting the surface was enough to get the fish interested.

In all I caught 8 Bass between 2ib and 4ib and all were returned back.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
excellent stuff Gary, just come back from yet another blank, its really dead around here at the moment........have you tried other sp's to see what they think of them?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a go with the GT shads in 3-5" sizes about 2 weeks ago and I caught on them,but the way I caught on them was totally different to the Xlayers, I still cant believe how simple and effective the method is.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
nice one gary,the bass are there but this year theres alot of smallish fish around,had 2 yesterday down the lleyn.just hope september brings the big girls in!!!!cheers daz

·
Registered
447 Posts
Gary!

Any chance you can put a detailed post on your technique, I have yet to catch on x-layers and need a fall back when they will not touch hard lures. Like today!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary!

Any chance you can put a detailed post on your technique, I have yet to catch on x-layers and need a fall back when they will not touch hard lures. Like today!!

Thanks
Nick

Read my post titled "First Bass on Xlayers".....There,s really nothing to it.....once you have caught one and got over the shock(which I am still doing) that it,s that simple the rest will come natural to you.

Thank,s to all for you kind comments.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Gary, great report and pics :-D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Vey effective, Gary. Sounds like you've cracked it. I had my first fish on a Xlayer last week too - a Wrasse!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
i gotta stop reading this forum it make's me so jealous lol well done gary i'l keep dreaming

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great report Gary ,have you tried any other colours yet.

Tony
No...not yet...Will have to make another order for some before the weekend,might try different colour this time to see if it makes a difference, one thing I do want to try are other worm and eel type SP,s to see if they work just as well as the Xlayers using the same method.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice one Gary. Good report and pics. Just invested in a small boat, so hope to get out and about in the straits over the the next few weeks. I've found it still very slow at my end of the straits though. Tried around llanddwyn island for a change last night, but same result - blank!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts