The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried a beach mark this afternoon and bumped into this youngster in a pool as we arrived at the water's edge. Released him into deeper water away from the gulls' beaks.

A bit later I foul hooked a very sick GG mullet which was missing a fin or two and had a hole through it. It was bleeding from that wound so I put it out of its misery.

Thankfully the sight fishing was good fun even if the fish were scarce. Callum pulled this one from a gap in the japweed on a 3" Reins bait.

All good fun!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice to know the leather jackets are around again this year, some years they don't show.
Shame about the GG, what do you reckon had a go at it?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We saw another trigger later on when we were fishing a jap weed bed.

The GG was a weird case Steve. It looked like it could have been shot by a spearo and ripped off (there was a comp on) but both its pelvic fins had been torn off, root and all. Not sure what would do that? Not a bird as both its eyes were still fine and it was still swimming. It also had a mark on one side as if it had been grabbed. If it had been in a fit state to let go I would have christened it Lucky.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Enjoyed reading that Paul, well done on dispatching the fish and putting it out of it's misery.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes, triggers are in but not in large quantities.
GG most likely a spearo as Mullet do have a tendency to tear off single flopper heads but, it isn't a regular occurrence in my experience as most educated guys allow for it. They are soft but, the fins being missing thing makes me think otherwise.

I'll tell you though, that double figure rockfish does live where we thought Paul and I can walk out there tomorrow. Shame you are at work m8. Some 'ANIMALS' out there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
chunks should be left to the birds . soon as the leathery's move in we up anchor and away tackle destroyers can even snip a mustad in half sorry can't think of any thing good to say about them. shame about the mullet

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice report Paul.There appears to be some scarring just at your right hand little finger,I've seen fish damaged like that before.Normally damage from a net where they get stuck and hence the damaged fins.(quick release)
Dunno bout the hole though.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Stephen I spotted that too but it was only on one side which was strange and not like a net injury TBH. Also I have never seen a fish rip off two pelvic fins extracting itself from a net or done that to a fish myself (in the dim and distant past). I was told it is a common wound when crabs have attacked a weak fish but I am not sure about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts