The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning all, just thought I would say a quick hello from down under.
Have settled in now, been here about 7 weeks now and am going stir crazy. So much amazing water everywhere you look and not a single piece of kit to use...

Took a walk down a little harbour beach on Saturday and watch as 25m off the beach the water was boiling with bait fish being forced out of the water, a huge melee, I think the fish responsible were bonito's ?? Bit like over grown mackies or under grown tuna - apparently great fun on light spinning gear. Can't wait...

Cracked yesterday and the credit card took some hammer, couldn't wait so bought some new kit - just enough to hopefully tide me over 'till the boat comes in'.

I'm having nightmares about Customs pinching all my gear...

Have discovered a decent forum over hear, not dedicated to lure fishing but pretty focussed on the Sydney area which is a great source of info. Guys here seem to be well into the SPs and fish very light gear for some pretty big fish.

Reading a post yesterday about a guy who got spooled in the harbour by a King fish - they sound serious - 200m of 7kg braid disappeared over the horizon.

And to cap it all the cricket is about to start... C'mom England! Having said that I'm starting to understand what it must feel like to be Welsh - Pom who likes the cricket down under, I'm getting loads of stick. ;-)

Odd experience on Sunday, listing to a group of people in Santa costumes singing carols in 28c and bright sunshine - very strange!

Cheers,
Greg.

p.s. it is true what they say about the beer down here, it is only cold to hide the fact that it don't taste of anything! :-D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Good to hear from you Greg, Your going to love those Bonito mate, and the Kings are even more of a hand full.
Not to mention another10-20 species your going to meet sooner or later. Enjoy and if you get a chance stick a few pics up here.
Missed your company at the Weymouth Comp.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Hi greg, thanks for the post good to hear from you, glad you are settling in. When shall we come over? :) look forward to hearing about your experiences over there.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hia Matey,great to hear from you greg..glad you and the family are settled in.Lookin forward to hearing about your new fishing exploits bud now youve got some gear.Can they drink down there or are they like the yanks..3 day bender with a pack of twelve lol.
cheers daz

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hia Matey,great to hear from you greg..glad you and the family are settled in.Lookin forward to hearing about your new fishing exploits bud now youve got some gear.Can they drink down there or are they like the yanks..3 day bender with a pack of twelve lol.
cheers daz
I've found a bar with 101 different beers, you get a card stamped with each beer and they measure how long it takes you. If you manage all 101 you get a little brass plaque on the wall. Best I've seen is 16 days.

5 days tops...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi greg, thanks for the post good to hear from you, glad you are settling in. When shall we come over? :) look forward to hearing about your experiences over there.
Start saving - need to wait for the pound to get a bit stronger though - bloody expensive to spend Sterling over here at the moment.
Can you ge the ferry from Weymouth?

I like the sound of an unofficial Aussie bumble.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've found a bar with 101 different beers, you get a card stamped with each beer and they measure how long it takes you. If you manage all 101 you get a little brass plaque on the wall. Best I've seen is 16 days.

5 days tops...
I accept that challenge :D.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I accept that challenge :D.
Well, if you need a wingman and you [FONT=&quot]absolutely[/FONT][FONT=&quot] insist I will make myself available...
[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great to hear from you Greg and glad to hear you're settling in okay. I've always wanted to visit and fish in Australia.....So when we having a bumble....:-D:-D:-D:-D

Some how don't think the wife would be too understanding about that one but will work on it.....and of course the cricket.....boy oh boy are you going to get some ribbing if we get slaughtered.........:-D:-D:-D

Take care mate......

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great to hear from you Greg, we all miss you :p Keep us updated what you are doing and catching.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

5 days tops...
This rings a bell. A mate is a brewer and was working in Sydney. I think he managed it. Have a look for Rob Beck.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sounds amazing over there mate. Looking forward to hearing about any fishy experiences from down under. All the best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts