The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI GOING TO FISH MORTE POINT THIS WEEK ONE EVENING NEVER FISHED IT WITH LURES BEFORE BUT IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD FOR BASS AT THE POINT ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE ON WHICH TYPE OF LURE/SPINNERS WOULD WORK BEST, WILL HOPE TO POST A CATCH REPORT SOON

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It does look interesting. Have had my eye on it for a while but it's quite a way up from here. Could be worth a road trip one day by the sounds of it?!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Morte Point and Baggy Point, a belated reply

Tony, fished morte on Sunday the 8th for 1st time, and had 5 schoolies + couple of macks from the slack off the point( a backeddy kicks the race offshore a couple of hours after LW) on small savagegear jig n eel and 28g dexter with a white bucktail ( it makes a difference!). Conditions a bit tough, bright sun and late afternoon, also rocks hard on the feet and slippery when wet!( bit of a swell develops as tide builds) so wear good boots. It's a very bassey looking area, you North Devon guys are so lucky. The main event seemed to be happening over on Baggy, three club mates had gone down there for wrasse n triggers (my clubs North Devon rover) and met a lone angler coming off, he said "You wont believe me, but I've had 17 bass"!!! He then proceeded to empty his bucket and rucksac, showing them his haul ( all between 2.5 n 5 pounds) + 1 bullhuss. It seems he was fishing in a club(?) specimin comp overnight and caught them at first light, a large shoal of fry were holed up in a small cove and all hell would break loose when they tried move out! Any news on this from down your way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI SIMON
DIDNT GET TO FISH MORTE LAST WEEK WIND TURNED NORTH WESTERLY SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD DAY, HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THAT GUY ON BAGGY MUST OF BEEN HARD WORK CARRYING ALL THOSE FISH BACK UP, WHEN I FISH MORTE HOPEFULLY SOON WILL POST A REPORT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tony, I was trying to do the maths on it while posting! but that was prettymuch how I heard it at our weighin at Blackmoor Gate. I was told that he put a few of the smaller ones back, but whether that was out of the total of 17, I can"t say, but will check tomorrow down local tackleshop. There definately was a very large shoal of Bass present in the general area, one of the guys was "chicken chuckin" for macks and the guy who was standing above him says he saw 2 bass follow his feathers in close, then the rest of the shoal came past, "never seen anything like it" was the quote. Maybe thats why I could only find the little ones! Will give you a shout next time I"m down your way if you like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES SIMON WHEN YOUR DOWN THIS WAY AGAIN GIVE ME A SHOUT, HAD A FEW TRIGGERS LAST SUNDAY. BUT THE BASS SEEM TO HAVE GONE A BIT QUIET AT THE MOMENT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tony, went down tackleshop this afternoon and got chapter n verse on it, He (?) only took 10 bass of the 17! The guys offered to give him a hand backup with them, but he used a/the rope to haul the excess up in his bucket, (if that makes any sense) . They had been feeding on whitebait/brit, the rocks were covered where the bass had been coughing them up after landing. The guys saw the big shoal of bass just as they were leaving (7ish), they were behind some macks and travelling pretty fast, bit like they were going somewhere! This might explain the bass going a bit quiet, maybe bass shoal up in numbers when there are large numbers of fry about? Make a good question for the experts on the forum??? I'll be down as soon as I get my life n sh!t together, so may be a while!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts