The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most effective methods for fishing tide races. Fished the entrance to Poole Harbour on high water and then first 3 hours of the ebb yesterday. Had follows from 2 big bass (6lb+) and a take which I missed at slack water then once the tide start running nothing. Tried the rough water and the smooth drifting and at anchor and most depths. There was a lot of weed in the water which was a pain. In particular do you cast up tide and retrieve with the flow, across the flow, down tide or a combination?

Anyway ended with another blank!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Tides and currents created by tides are of utmost importance inshore. Fish feed into the current, simple as that. They face into the current to maintain position and to intercept food washed by the current. This is especially true on the falling tide.

Fish that feed in estuaries on the banks are more affected by water depth (tide height) than by the current flow. If there isn’t any water on the banks, the only fish there will be dead ones. As the water level drops with a falling tide, the fish leave the banks and take up positions along channel edges to ambush bait fish that also have to leave the banks.

This is how I see it, others will have different ways to approach the topic.

What lures / Sp's was you using Nick and how did you use them?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nick, I would concentrate on the edges between the fast water and the slack water. Cast into the slack and then swing it into the fast water.
Personally I think casting upcurrent and retrieving it with the current gives a more natural appearence, but don't be put off casting down and across, and swinging the lure downcurrent of you. Just retrieve enough to keep the lure working.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nathan,

Primarily i used and OSP Rudra because that is what i got the interest in. I also tried (wait for it) Maria Chase BW, IMA Imagene 110, Press bait fusion (too shallow for this) Tide minnow 140 SLDF, Meagbass Zonk and a sidewinder. Tended to cast uptide and retrieve just faster than the tide was running which was fast.

·
Registered
990 Posts
What Dave has wrote is bang on! Theirs not much wrong with your lures from the looks of it, just perhaps how you was using them. Something we can work on when I see you in August :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
There is loads of stuff about current and fishing it on my blog.

Personally, I like to fish when it runs the hardest.

The reasons are explained if you read enough articles on there.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nick,
What time of day/night are you fishing??

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day fishing and the other thing was that i was dodging lots of boat traffic so I do not know if that bothers the fish or not

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Maybe a Rapala Magnum mackerel colour, as big as you can get, or 8" Sidewinder as deep as you can get it, trolled so that the boat just maintains position or quarters across the current and the lure fishes any features or fish marking on the fishfinder. Heavy outfit needed or is that way too controversial?

I spent an hour or two looking for features in tide races yesterday when the tide allowed and found a couple, mainly thanks to a few hints from a friend. No specimens to shout on those features but a couple of fish on 70g lures proved they have potential.

PS We have marks were boat traffic doesn't bother fish but on balance I'd prefer a quiet spell on any mark.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nick,
Ok busy daylight session goes some way to explain why the bass are showing more interest in the deeper running Rudra over the shallower running lures that you mentioned.
Wait for the right tides and try the same places that you got follows, at first light (my favourate) or last light or even at night. Less noise/boats around should make the bass more confident/agressive.
Try the Rudra, experiment with different retrieves. If you are getting follows but not takes. Try speeding up the retrieve, or give the lure a good jerk while the bass is following. If no luck there, I would drop lure size and start again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A lot of the really fast races around here are fished the way Paul describes, trolling Rapala Magnum 20's or big Yozuris.
Just holding station in the current and gradually moving across and up or down tide as desired.
As mentioned this is no finesse game, 30lb boat rods etc.

Alternatively motor diagonally across tide working a big shad whilst holding the rod and working the shad in the current.
I've seen the commercial guys doing this alone in their center console boats, but I've got a cabin so can't!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts