The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During one of my Lure fishing forays on my local estuary, i bumped into an Elderly gentleman colecting crabs on the shore for an attempt at catching the Local bass, We got chatting and he admitted to me he has never caught a bass on a spinner!!, even after explaining i was plug fishing as well as showing him the lure i was fishing that day. he had in his mind the term SPINNING!! and it stuck, he was a friendly chap and was very keen to learn more, so i spent about half an hour explaining the Lures used, as well as the modern day Rods and Reels used within the sport. We exchanged numbers and he was keen to come out fishing to catch his first bass on the lure.

A few weeks went by with unsuitable weather conditions, when out of the blue this chap rang and wondered if i could take him lure fishing, the day was sunny with fairly light winds and an evening tide, good conditions for his first bass, he turned up with reasonable rod of some vintage, but a shimano reel spooled with 10lb mono tied directly to a Yo Zuri Hydro Tiger red head popper 25g lure, I was dubious this lure would do very well on my mark, but i knew there would at least be fish in front of him. He said he had been trying in vain with this lure but never had caught anything on it, i personally thought he was using it incorrectly,After putting him on the right road as regards Rod Reel and tackle purchases as well as mentioning the Lure Forum We set off to the mark.

Arrival at the mark we were greeted with a stiff breeze blowing right in our faces and water the colour of chocolate, I told him to cast beyond the dirty water into the clean stuff and fish the popper in front, to his right and left and walk down over the oyster beds, I wasent very confident but at least the mullet were moving, i put on a frosty and fished to his right, i normally get action pretty much right away but nothing ,30 mins went nothing, Patchinko went on still nothing, i looked to my right and Mr Crabtree had a healthy bend in his antiquated rod, and a beaming smile on his face i was pleased but also suprised, after getting the bass in i measured the fish at 45cm not massive but it was to Mr Crabtree. We returned the fish after i unhooked it for him, and crushed the barbz on his lure, I continued to catch nought for the last 3 hours, while Mr Crabtree had a further four bass all of the same stamp, he was hooked after this and certainly a convert to the sport.
I was put to shame with one yo zuri popper, Against Patchinko,Z claw,Sammy,Frosty Van staal, Tenryu, 8 braid. Mr crabtree done me proper.
Anyway i set out what i wanted to do put him on the fish, he caught well and enjoyed the day, and is now very enlightened to modern day lure fishing and hopefully another member for the Lure forum. Hope to put a pic up later.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just goes to show, that sometimes, it doesnt matter how good the quality of your gear, or how many pounds got blown on the whole lot. If the fish want something other than what you have with you, you're just not going to catch.

Lesson in there Michael, which I didnt notice you comment upon yet. Have you ordered yourself a new yozuri red head hydrotiger popper to hide away for a similar day in the future?? ;)

Seriously tho, you made an old boy happy and came home with a good yarn about it too. Thats gotta be worth a tides blanking :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
This is a super story. Well done for taking th etime and effort to show the old fella the ropes and get him a bass off the top. Magic.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Seriously well done Mike... Or should that be "Father Michael" spreading the good word and converting the heathens to "the way"......:-D:-D:-D

Like you say Mike this guy will now be hooked and no doubt very grateful to you for letting him thRash the pants off you....so to speak.. You obviously made his day...:wink::wink:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/IMG]
During one of my Lure fishing forays on my local estuary, i bumped into an Elderly gentleman colecting crabs on the shore for an attempt at catching the Local bass, We got chatting and he admitted to me he has never caught a bass on a spinner!!, even after explaining i was plug fishing as well as showing him the lure i was fishing that day. he had in his mind the term SPINNING!! and it stuck, he was a friendly chap and was very keen to learn more, so i spent about half an hour explaining the Lures used, as well as the modern day Rods and Reels used within the sport. We exchanged numbers and he was keen to come out fishing to catch his first bass on the lure.

A few weeks went by with unsuitable weather conditions, when out of the blue this chap rang and wondered if i could take him lure fishing, the day was sunny with fairly light winds and an evening tide, good conditions for his first bass, he turned up with reasonable rod of some vintage, but a shimano reel spooled with 10lb mono tied directly to a Yo Zuri Hydro Tiger red head popper 25g lure, I was dubious this lure would do very well on my mark, but i knew there would at least be fish in front of him. He said he had been trying in vain with this lure but never had caught anything on it, i personally thought he was using it incorrectly,After putting him on the right road as regards Rod Reel and tackle purchases as well as mentioning the Lure Forum We set off to the mark.

Arrival at the mark we were greeted with a stiff breeze blowing right in our faces and water the colour of chocolate, I told him to cast beyond the dirty water into the clean stuff and fish the popper in front, to his right and left and walk down over the oyster beds, I wasent very confident but at least the mullet were moving, i put on a frosty and fished to his right, i normally get action pretty much right away but nothing ,30 mins went nothing, Patchinko went on still nothing, i looked to my right and Mr Crabtree had a healthy bend in his antiquated rod, and a beaming smile on his face i was pleased but also suprised, after getting the bass in i measured the fish at 45cm not massive but it was to Mr Crabtree. We returned the fish after i unhooked it for him, and crushed the barbz on his lure, I continued to catch nought for the last 3 hours, while Mr Crabtree had a further four bass all of the same stamp, he was hooked after this and certainly a convert to the sport.
I was put to shame with one yo zuri popper, Against Patchinko,Z claw,Sammy,Frosty Van staal, Tenryu, 8 braid. Mr crabtree done me proper.
Anyway i set out what i wanted to do put him on the fish, he caught well and enjoyed the day, and is now very enlightened to modern day lure fishing and hopefully another member for the Lure forum. Hope to put a pic up later.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
its people like you that make the world a better place mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts