The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i only swapped to lure fishing a few weeks back properly now, though i have been out plenty of times and caught a few small bass and a launce now.
Though what i have quickly relized is how much money i have saved!!!!

Bait costs i would have spent £80+ in the past 3 weeks as a bare mimimun, i havent lost a single lure! and saved a fortune. in 3 weeks i have saved that? So how much could i save in a year????????

People are always saying that lures are expensive. yeah right

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Oh yes, dead cheap this lure fishing lark . . . . . . . . . :shock: . . . . . .

;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Just wait Mike, just you wait.

It's a slippery downward spiral, major symptoms of fully fledged lure fishing are complete loss of self control and outrageous spending habits :D

Don't let that put you off though....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike, when you aren't losing lures or upgrading gear then yes it can seem cheap compared to bait fishing.

Before you know it though, you'll want this rod, that reel, those braids, all those shiney, shiney lures and then it's curtains!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
MMMMMmmmmmmm Shiney Japanese Plastic!!!!!!!!!

Mike, I think in the long run you will find it all balances out, new lures, replacing those that you will feed to the kelp and rocks etc etc.
Just don't take any advice from RobF!!!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Oh yes, dead cheap this lure fishing lark . . . . . . . . . :shock: . . . . . .

;)
Unless you do it the Simon Lewis way - wait until I tell her what all that gear really cost when we get to Cornwall!!!

(as if I could speak!)

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Mike I know exactly what you mean, and it is a relief to hear an angler say its cheap. I too used to spend money every week on bait, weights, rigs, line, bits and bobs, and it soon adds up and most of it is used in one trip. Lure fishing and bait fishing can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, its just nice to have the choice now eh. How bad can it get? I am surrounded every day with 200 grand + of lures and lure fishing equipment....and I still want more. Simon has it worse than me though, and Vidar is just our very own Roman Abramovich of fishing tackle.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ****, the bait and tackle losses are great especially on rough ground marks, i worked it out 12 months ago and i had spent over £19000 on tackle that has been lost and trout fishing tickets for still waters and commercials in 3 years.
Well there is no way that i could go through that again with lure fishing for both fresh and saltwater species. Besides this i dont stink of peeler crabs all of the time now and icsan grab the rods reels lures and go when ever and where ever i want to these days with little to no planning.
Trying to keep the tackle simple to start off with though i do have my beady eyes on new rods for next year and reels to match already though are these the first symptoms????

Tight lines all

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Good thread this Mike, im sure the responses will mirror the posters different view on costs and budgets. There may not be such a thing as expensive, just a choice and choices are what we have been searching for. In the end its uo to us what we choose as individuals and that is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just don't take any advice from RobF!!!!
Oi Dave!!! It's not like I've ignored paying utility bills to fund a trip to Jersey, or weighed up whether it was worth pinching Weetabix from the breakfast bar to eat in the hotel room as an evening meal every night for 3 nights just so I could fund a couple of lures while I was there... Or borrowed £220 from a work colleague just so I could go to a Bumble... Or have lures strewn all over my bedroom.. And desk at work...

My names Rob and I'm a hard plastic addict.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks mike, i think the beauty of this arm of angling is the choices that are available and you right it comes down to what we want to spend.
Just a quick comparison here:

Sage Xi3 fly rod
Sage reels and spare spools
Shooting heads
Backing

Total cost: £1700 upwards dependant on size

tenryu rod supermix for instance
Rarenium 4000
Braid
Leader / backing ect

Total cost: £650 ish

Now i would use the same rod in each disipline for bass, though spot the price difference.
Flies are cheaper? Are they buggery i spent over 4000 quid on my tying materials before i gave it up. That buys a lot of lures.
So in essence if you don't sped the earth you can get lure fishing a lot cheaper than some other angles.
See my point here???

Tight lines all

·
Registered
364 Posts
i havent got a lot of baitfishing experience - i just don't get it. i can't be arsed with planning to buy worms etc, getting fishy fingers and sitting there like an oap waiting in the cold for a bite... worms etc must cost a lot as there are people down here who make a living from only digging ragworms.

when i first started lure fishing (spinning..) it was cos i've got a campervan and wanted a travel rod and a few tobys as i seemed to be near the coast a lot. i had a cheap £15 tele which i broke, got another and broke it etc... i had a cheapo reel which i had to replace now and again with some el cheapo mon and a couple of 28g tobys.

i used to catch the odd bass on toby's or dexter wedges. they must be about £3-4 each but i have lost loads and loads. me and a mate lost 12 various metal tobys or dexters one morning in dorset over a rocky reef. one false move and they've sunk and snagged. same with el cheapo plastic lures from the local market - you're just not sufficiently bothered about them to keep them out of trouble for long or they break...

i've progressed over a couple of yrs to a nice reasonable rod and a decent reel and a good selection of decent plugs - not too mad but a decent lot of kit. i've spent some cash but it keeps you outdoors and out of the pub.

since going for floating lures and surface lures i've not lost many at all - those that have come off i've generally managed (somehow) to find again or get back with a little fiddling about/ luck.

i just cant stand the concept of paying someone £20 for a couple of fat rainbow trout on a golf course style trout pond (lake..) with all the rules and politics of such a venue.

I guess the moral of the above is even without the red rods and stellas you can still have some pretty cheap and satisfying sport on good equipment thanks to the likes of the teklon 802, maria chase etc and mid range shimano reels and powerpro... even the sakura bags/ vests arent loads of cash and last if you're not caning them... and cos you don't have to pay per play in worms or entry tickets even the odd lost lure doesn't matter....

lure fishing all the way for me from now on....

·
Registered
62 Posts
When i took up lure fishing it was for a few reasons you've mentioned and i'm glad i did.

I can go fishing on impulse, everythings just sat in the car. No chasing around after bait etc.
Your dead right about not going home stinking of, mackerel, squid, crab or worm.

Price comparisson though is the same, you make it what you want. You spend what your budget is on your equipment. The way i looked at it was, once i'd got set up tackle wise then there was no expense (as such). I would spend £10-£20 on bait for a session. Now as long as i don't lose a lure then it hasn't cost me a penny. However, just you wait as you've been told, it won't be long until you'll start wanting more and more lures at £20 a pop, the latest rod and reel, waders, bogas the list goes on.

Everything tackle wise is relative but my cost saying was not having to buy bait and being able to fish at the drop of a hat, can't beat it. One other thing, you get fitter and the rods and reels are so light, amazing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well compared to my other Sport and living Falconry, Lure fishing is positively cheap, Although buying high end Rods and Reels can be expensive, although i like using the high quality tackle, you dont need to spend a fortune to catch bass!!! Watercraft and Researching your marks has got to be the most important aspect of this sport.

What i will say that Buying Lures from japan is an addiction, and iam in rehab trying to beat this terrible affliction.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I think I'm the total opposite to the OP.
I've piddled around with b**t for 30 years, never seriously. I'd never spent more than £30 on a rod or reel etc Couple of bags of frozen sandeels, dig a tub of lugworm etc Then, (coinciding with increased spending power ) I found lures. The spending has gone rocketed exponentially! Now I have three rods 5 reels and a car full of lures, end tackle etc...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was the same with fly fishing and bait fishingi had more than i would ever really need though buying bait was a pain in the arris tweed.
Thus far i have spent a forune though i did a list of wants last night ran into thousands though this is a quater of the fly fishing costs i incured in 4 years of fishing everyday.
Lure fishing is an addiction i dont want to shift away from. ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts