The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gents.

I have been granted access to a small tidal marina that has just been re-developed and is stuffed with mullet!!!! Completely virgin water with no previous fishing allowed. What I would like is some advice/info on tackling up for them?
(tackle is no problem, just need techniques!!!)

My initial thoughts are to use groundbait and bread either floating or beneath a float or with a feeder. The fly is another option. There is no real weed to speak of, so rotting weed and maggots dont seem a likely option, and there is no sluice/sewer outfall. It`s mainly structure.

any thoughts would be really appreciated.

thanks guys

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Firstly - you'll need me along with you for entertainment.

Secondly - you need to take me piking on Saturday.

Thirdly - no idea on catching Mullet.

Hope that helps ???

:rofl:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are they Greys or Thin lipped Iestyn??? if the former go with bread, if the latter use a mepps spinner with a small ragworm attached to the treble,,, the mepps method is a killer, but can be just as frustrating as fishing for the thick lipped (greys) whatever you choose to use you've got to be totally prepared to turn grey overnight.. :-D :rollineyes: :-D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha bloody ha!!!!

Can`t fish it just yet as its still a working site with poxy security!!! not entirely sure when it will be finished, but you be more than welcome to fish it when i get the nod!!!!

Have`nt been out for bloody ages but my dad is on the mend so will be wetting a line soon! (fingers crossed)
Won`t be able to fish this weekend but if you fancy a piking sesh next weekend I can do that?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just thinking out loud here bud' as i've never held a fly rod in my life, but what about throwing in some bread and chucking a white feathered fly in amongst it?.. could work i s'pose..

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Best secret is to fish small spiders in cold water. Grayling patterns work well too.
fish them SLOW fall, do NOTHING. watch the line like a hawk.

Also, green weed patterns will score.

Certain types of weed seem favourite. Just like silkweed for roach in weirs there is that stuff on structure.
Look for it, Mullet scrape it.

The other stuff looks like green translucent sweet wrapper. We get loads of it here in summer.

Think small. Forget 10's and bigger. Go 14, 16 or smaller. Smaller the better. Drift, using the wind buzzer style.
If you can get the point fly near to or just dragging the bottom that is good.

You will get them but forget assisted retrieves for the big ones 'unless' they are pack goldens or...
Thinlips.

Inactive drifts have been the most successful for us, even in pitch darkness.

In fact, night time has produced ALL the big fish bar 1 ( a 6lb -4oz Thin) though i got that lure fishing.

did you see this...

http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bassfish/blog1.php/2010/01/01/into-2010-mullet-and-other-stuff

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
excellent stuff there Keith. I have caught mullet abroad on a lightly weighted okey dokey (minus the bright head) tied completely in the same colour mainly white/creams and light olive. I was initially sceptical about casting a fly for fear of spooking them!!! thanks for the link also :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Iestyn, good to have you back! I've not fished for mullet here in the UK (caught a few in Portugal), but if you need any moral support when you try just let me know! Don't ask Henry - they drive him mad!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also, green weed patterns will score.

Certain types of weed seem favourite. Just like silkweed for roach in weirs there is that stuff on structure.
Look for it, Mullet scrape it.
Absolutely, one of my biggest thick lips (8lb 4oz) fell to floatfished 'silkweed'.
Those old coarse fishing books from the 50's and 60's must have sunk in as a kid!

I reckon a weed fly would work well here too.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The weed flies are used for Milkfish in Sey - should work easily as well for Mullet ... match the hatch - bit odd thats its a new build marina probably with no mature eco system? maybe the silt has been dug up? you could also try a carp style halibut groundbait in an onion sack and carp bread flies / pellet flies?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys as stated the marina is being re-developed. previously boats were moored in the channel and at its sides as there are some dodgy stantions and walls still there!! the plan is to create floating pontoons and walkways to birth around 30-40 small boats.

Tim, as soon as i get the go-ahead ill post the details and see if i can arrange for about half a dozen of us to go and have a bash!!!

bread flies seem to be the most popular approach on the fly so will gey tying over the week!

I also found out earlier today that the mullet are used to taking bread and have been regularly fed!!!!! so hopefully they wont notice a hook in a nice pinch of kingsmill!!!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Is that usual for mullet still to be around at this time of year, especially with the cold weather that we have been having??

·
Registered
346 Posts
I love and hate thick lip mullet fishing, the fish sure have my respect for being smart enough to play mind games with any angler. :aarrg:
at least you can eat the bait if you get bored if you are using bread. :-D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts