The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really fancy a crack at Mullet flyfishing ... anybody had experience or know any guides?

I know a few areas I can hit via kayak but wouldn't mind a bit of info first ... got to be another under rated fish that I want to target and give it a whirl!

Was thinking along the lines of small trout style flies and weed flies ... 8lb flouro leader and stealth being the key ...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Chichester Harbour (near the Marina) looks like a good spot for this. They were virtually at my feet when I was there recently. For info there is an article by Nick Hart on this here, and Justin Anwyl does flyfishing/guiding for bass and is based in the Harbour I believe. Might be worth contacting - the website is here to see if he knows anything about this.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alex - one of the shallow areas that George & I fished rcently for small bass (him on the fly) holds some monster mullet so we ar ethinking the same - how to target them. We shall follow this thread with interest! When the tide is out (only 4' deep when it's in!) you can see all the scrape marks on the mud where they are feeding on the algae. The bottom is covered in them!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Alex,

If you ever pop across to Wales the River Neath is full of mullet and I mean hundreds of them some big ones and all, If you manage to get to place called Aberdulais and walk the tidal stretch you will just see them, spent many an hour throwing all sorts in front of their noses but nothing, stubborn little buggers mind. I would use a Intermediate line with a long leader approx 9-10ft as to not to spook them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In the recent sea angler there is a really good article about fly fishing for mullet using bread flies

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Alex

My mate catches a few over here on the fly, any small black fly is usually worth a try, something like a spider type pattern. The red tag is another one that has been recommended to me.

If you tie some bread flies, use the sponge that sinks slightly, not the one that floats on the surface. I've forgotten the name of it but it's not a cheap sponge.

Remembered it's a Ramer sponge they are around £6 for a small oval sponge. Tear little bits off so it looks like bread & superglue it to a suitable sized hook. The sponge is hard when dry but soft when wet & you can vary the size of the sponge on the hook so it sinks slowly or floats just under the surface.

·
Registered
363 Posts
a mate of mine fishes for mullet with alot of success using harbour rag hooked through the head with just a small splitshot to aid casting sz8 hooks and 6lb line. he sight casts to them and spins the rag over their heads - he has had a 7lb fish last week doing that... might be an idea to tie a rag fly..... dunno if they exist or not but worth a go..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Alex - there was a thread "Mullet on the Fly" around the end of August, was some good suggestions on flies on that thread.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just as an extra, if you are into reading magazines in newsagents (or even buying the occasional one :) ) there is a 4 page article on fly-fishing for mullet in the current issue of Total Flyfisher.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Interesting stuff. I bought some maggot flies, bread flies and sorted out some of my trout flies (spiders etc) for targeting mullet this year but not managed to use them yet! I have been down to my local estuary but they all disappeared except when i went back down with the bass gear! The have driven me mad and I havent even thrown a fly at them yet!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you go to Nick Hart's home page (rather than the Mullet specific page I linked to earlier) he does SWFF guiding, and mentions mullet as a target species - don't know about Justin Anwyl. Considering the numbers you see around it makes it all the more galling it is so difficult to catch them :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm thinking of booking some casting lessons with Nick Hart over the winter, & hopefully will be able to pick his brains about mullet at the same time!
Definately on my list of fish to target. Plenty of them on my doorstep, so it's only right to have a go for them. And coincidently, it looks like we'll be doing a job in a mental health wing of a hospital in the next few months as well!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alex,
Have a read through Mike Ladel website, he seems to have been successfully targeting mullet with fly gear for years.
I have caught them on fly gear, basically tied a bubble wing of olive CDC on to a small strong hook, so that it very slowly sunk. The trick was to be able to cast and get the drift right (first cast) before they spot you!!. If you could get the drop on them, then it was very successful as far as hook ups, but you lose 75% during the fight. Light drags, cut down fly lines, and thin gel spun backing improves the landing rates a little ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts