The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Yet another single fish post. Went out late last night fished from about 23:30 -1:30 caught this guy at about 1:00
It was caught on a green "Ritchie and Cullam" SP

I have been out four our of the last 5 nights and only blanked once on Saturday also blanked on the day trip yesterday.
So that is 3 fish in four night trips which I think was quite good given the conditions. 1 fish went to a sluggo and 2 to "Ritchie and Cullams" aka sidewinders my theory and this is pure speculation, When the water clarity is very very bad having a paddle tail and a textured lure seems to work. I tried a scented textured straight tail but no joy, it was a new one I picked up on Saturday think it might be made by Comaran. My thinking is that with the paddle tail the fish can sense the lure better in murky water.

Are people finding this to be the case or is this not what others are seeing ? Views would be appreciated

Well I am probably out again tonight as I like to fish the push and it is the last sensible(it's all relative) time high of the week

Ciao

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well done jezza! Its hard fishing off the harbors at the moment ey! Where did you go? Don't get to hung up on the high tide thing either mate! I seem to catch more just off low! I might head out tonight too but I don't know whether I'll be squidding at one spot or LRFing at another? Bit of swell running today but water should hopefully start clearing up soon.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You are right.
In the murky water paddle tails have an advantage.

This weekend has a been a let down. Last night was OK. I did a few hours out with some Malaysians on Sun and boy, that was hard. We got some fish but the water was pants. We fished a place yesterday where in the past, the gullies have given up Wrasse to large proportions. 2 Bites yesterday. Gutting but, the way it goes.
Paul B's theory about paddle tailed baits is coming to fruition. Paddles draw fish in but, you can spook away lots of potential 'straight tailed' takers due to the way the paddle keeps wobbling in their face. Straight tailed baits certainly have the numbers edge but in dirty water they suck.

Last night was a bit of fun though and a few fish were caught thankfully. LRF rescues the day again. Getting to be a habit.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think that's where the blade that you were using the other night could come in useful Keith. If you could have a paddle at the FRONT of the bait, then it may attarct the attention of fish without putting them off having a nip at the tail a couple of inches behind. Its obviously very hard to get a paddle at the front, but a tiny blade may have the same effect.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They'll have their uses I'm sure Jeremy, but what you might need in this case is just a tiny Mepps type blade positioned at the front of a tiny soft bait. Size of the blade can probably depend on the profile (fatness) of the bait, but I think what it might be worth trying to achieve is actually a bit like a proper finesse version of a traditional Flying C. (http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16305) - just to give an idea. Imagine everything stepped massively down and a single light jighead or shot. Its just an idea really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts