The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if any of you are the same. Came into this game after 20 yrs on the coarse match scene. Where ever I fish even to this day I have to catch more than the guy next to me, can't help myself. I will try everything I know in the quest. Even gone home with a splitting headache from the effort. Am I mad or what!!!!????:evil:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Now this could be a fascinating post!

I love learning something new, being outdoors, having the craic/enjoying the solitude, sunsets and dawns, the anticipation and the occasional fish

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I surprise myself actually. Having grown up fishing matches I'd have thought I'd be the same Dave. Saying that, when I just pleasure fished with mates practising for bigger events, I never actually tried to fish like them and really only ever messed about doing my own thing. I just found I learned more by using my own head than by sticking to what would be the norm - you'll know how different lakes respond to different methods - I always just assumed that the 'expected' would work, and in practise I'd often do pretty much everything other than 'the expected' and see how the others fish compared. I was the opposite in competition of coarse. Lazy team work, but I generally did come out learning more :p I think it's this bit of me that has carried over in to my lure fishing. If (on one of the rare occasions) I am fishing with somebody, rather than trying to compete I go totally the other way and just p**s around. My proper fishing happens when I'm on my own. lol

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I didnt like the person I became when I was a match fisherman, yes it improved alot of things and got me thinking but I hated the fact I wasnt happy unless I won. I had a ten fish level in my head, I wouldnt settle down until I had ten fish to weigh in, that way I was usually winning or if someone had a bumper catch I wasnt completely left in the dust. I try my best not to let it get to me these days, and it doesnt. If a mate catches then I am happy for them and happy to be there with them. If I see another boat catching and I am not, well then the green eyed monster comes out and gloves come off. :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The fact that it can be so laid back and you can be genuinly happy for other people is one of the many reasons why I like lure fishing so much. A match background shows you the very ugly side of fishing where nice guys turn in to idiots, even if they're only fishing to win their entry money back. Its probably helped by the fact that not every day guarantees you a bumper catch. A single fish can be all a day is worth, so you and whoever you're with can happily just make the most of it. ....generally :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I like to be competitive with myself and others when it allows.

But...

I don't have to be to enjoy the fishing.
I like the way pressure drives me to find results.

Whilst I'm really comfortable in the competitive arena, I can fish 'bumble' style too.
But, purely bumbling for the sake of it... everytime, suffering countless blanks... and then, catching a big fish or rake of fish without a clue as to why...

Not for me. Catching without knowing why ? Pointless. Enjoyable but pointless from the learning curve perspective.

Bumbling AND learning ? Well, in my book, that's not really bumbling, it's something greater.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thankfully, I've never felt pressure to catch more fish than others around me (Even with Keith watching over my shoulder LOL).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thankfully, I've never felt pressure to catch more fish than others around me (Even with Keith watching over my shoulder LOL).
That's great to know because my competitive edge can at times make people feel uncomfortable.
I really do try to make sure everyone's catches are just as important as the next guy's though.

This is why I love LRF and HRF. We have a fresh canvass to paint on. No pressure to produce big Bass or weigh in fish to get club records etc..
Those days are antiquated in my opinion. I'd like to see technology take over from the weigh station.

If we are embracing modern technology in LRF / HRF and plugging then perhaps the need to be competitive from a numbers or size/weight perspective can be tossed out the window.
We are in fact, doing this more and more, even with Bass.

Catching them, lifting them quickly to say "Nice Fish Eh" and popping em straight back. Does it really matter if a fish is 5lb or 5lb 2oz ?
If it takes the lure, provides a great, balanced fight and goes home after a quick nod or picture, then that should be as competitive as anyone needs.

Banter aside, I don't care who catches the fish on our trips as long as we know why, or why not.
good thread really..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont get me wrong if I'm with mates and I'm catching and there not. I will pass on all the info I can to them to help if I can.( But I still WANNA BEAT THEM LOL)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Having had the benefit of Friday mornings off work from Sept - Jan for a couple of years, I'd fished at the harbour with either lug or razorfish. Most sessions were in the same company and I'd be using my Quantum with 20lb PP to a 2 hook paternoster. My average session would see me catch upwards of 50 fish (mostly small, but still good fun). Still the guys around me would look on with dispondance at the way my bait wouldn't even touch bottom before the next bite came. Amazing that no-one would ever try to work out/or ask what I was doing different to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts