Must have Lures | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Must have Lures

Discussion in 'Lures' started by {name}, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Mullet (foul hooked)

Hi All

I recently started lure fishing and have yet to catch a bass. I have caught plenty of pollock but still waiting for the bass. Im hoping to give it a good bash this year but need advise on lures.
    What lures are the bread and butter of your lure fishing?

I currently have:

feed shallow
    Illex bonnie 95
    Patch 100
    Maria Chase
    fiish minnow
    savage gear eel
    numerous kilty style lures.

Any advise is appricated!

2. Striper

Those will all catch Ian.

Don't get too hung up on which lure, colour, etc, The most important thing is to fish where there's bass at the times that the bass are there! Easier said than done.

Where abouts in ireland do you fish?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pike

Yes a good set to start with, wouldn't really say you're missing much, maybe a zonk for going slightly deeper.

When I started bass fishing I went to the right areas ish, but was always drawn to headlands and deeper water, but I've since realised this was taking me away from the bass.... concentrate on thinking about where the fish could be, which rockpools will they exploit on a flooding tide, which areas offer somewhere to ambush bait on the ebb etc etc.

Ideally I like to fish somewhere that alllows me to move 30-50m every 5-10 minutes, il fish say 5 spots with one lure, only having one fan of casts on each. The. Rotate all the spots again with a different lure if not successful. Theory being that you don't spook 'residents' by flogging one bit of water. Obviously there are exceptions, spots where you know fish will move through etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mullet (foul hooked)

Thanks for the replys lads. I am living in Dublin so primarily do my fishing here but also go to some of the beaches in Wicklow but havent had any luck.
    I am willing to travel no problem, just dont know where to begin!

Thanks again for the tips guys

5. Mackerel

Ianw there are a few marks that arent very far from you im based in Wexford if you drop me a Pm il help you out. James

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Pollock

As Adrian said, Fishing any of those lures when you have Bass in front of you will do the business. Most of my fish last year were on the Savage Gear Eels and when and where was far more important than which lure.;)

7. Bass

I would add a couple more top water lures to that list ,vulture,frosty,patch II,mag popper,gunfish.

8. Striper

Lets not foget patch 100

9. Bass

He has one!!:rolleyes:

10. Striper

Specsavers!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Pike

Second that, the SG eels are top lures! Re divers, consider the Duo Terrif DC-12. The feed shallow is a classic and will smash fish all day but if I had to fish the south coast of Ireland for a week with just one diver, I'd take the DC-12.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mullet (foul hooked)

thanks for all the tips lads. Will probably get a shore line shiner because I have been dying to get my hands on one for a while ;)

13. Mackerel

I fished Courtmacsherry in 2015 and the locals recommended powerbait eels or Savage gear eels. Didn't have any - didn't catch.

14. Pollock

I am down in Wexford and I have found over the years that the simple Storm Sand Eel is very effective. Its my first choice every time.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bass

How do you rig/fish them Danny? I opened a bag of Sindwinder shimmer eels yesterday and they look good threaded onto a 3/0 Manta 540 hook. I also found a couple of Storm eels in my stash that are so old they've lost their shine but look deadly.

I've had some success fishing them behind a float which I'm planning to do again this year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pollock

Hello Graham,

I use a simple jig head or a weedless hook. Just depends on where I am fishing and the strength and direction of any current in front of me. I use various lengths and colors of Storm Sand Eels, from Natural to white and from a few inches to a foot long.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Banned

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pollock

Don't be jealous of the South East Storm Sand Eel Ware House :muttley:

19. Pike

Baby chug bug in black/silver mullet

20. Guest

All this talk of must have lures ! do we need that many lures ? NO........ We all have favourite lures we use , but isnt that we have confidence in a particular lure . I have around 20 bay ruf manics , thats because i use them a lot , would another lure work as well ,probably .I reckon we buy far to many lures , sometimes because it was used to catch a decent fish posted here !
    It boils down to having confidence in a particular lure ,but most lures catch fish , many lures catch anglers !!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1