The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 1st catch report on the forum. Not too much to report unfortunately, I spent 10 days with the family in Dawlish and managed to fish every day sometimes twice a day, in total i squeezed in 12 sessions ( which did`t go down too well with the better half):evil: even found a new mark which looks very promising, but all in all i only managed to catch 1 bass, 1 mackeral and 2 pollock all around the 1 lb mark, the bass and mackarel took a dexters wedge and the pollock fell for an artificial sandeel, im putting in the hours but dont seem to be having much luck. I think i need to do some more homework on what to look for and maybe start looking into the more modern lures you guys all rave about as im not catching much and when i do they are always small, i cant seem to catch anything over a lb. I did`t take any photos as i was waiting for something worthy of a photo but that sadly did`t happen, spirits low but will keep trying.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Stu, nice first report!

Slowly but surely it'll start to come together. I don't know if you're the same but one of the things I started doing when I began lure fishing was fishing water that was generally too deep, and usually too calm as well. Turns out they'll go really shallow and LOVE the rougher water. As soon as you start hooking a few more you'll soon get to know where abouts they like to be. Lure fishing has got to be the best thing when it comes to really tracking down where bass want to feed. You'll soon see patterns forming. Definitely try a couple of floating, shallow diving plugs though (in shallower water). Don't go too expensive to start. You won't go far wrong. Keep at it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Stu,
Don't give up, I know it is easy to get disheartened when you constantly read catch reports from other members. What they (we) don't say is we have ALL blanked loads, it is all part of the process of working out how a mark fishes. And just when you think you know, the weather/wind/cloud cover changes!!
You don't have to spend loads to catch bass (Yeah sounds good coming from a lure junkie!!), honestly A pack of Sidewinders in pearl. Will cover alot of ground successfully. About £5 for three, so not the end of the world if you stick the odd one into the kelp/rocks.
Have a look at the Googan Thread, Some of it you will know, some not. But there is ALOT of really good advice in there. Much better to be able to find the bass, and then throw a dexter/toby or whatever at them. Than to have a box full of £20 lures and no idea where the bass are.
Here's the thread:
http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=723

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hi Stu Dont be to disheartened I lived in Dawlish for 15 years Plugging for Bass has always been hard work there Depends on the conditions S E wind worked best but even then gettng a Bass to take a plug was difficult I fished all around the area with live Sandeel and caught plenty When the sea was rough Razor fish or Queenies work best

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Keep at it Stuart, you will get there :-D

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That's a good start Stuart. Lots of good references given above - we're all learning every time we go fishing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the encouragment guys. Martin i will have a look at those videos now thank you. Marq thanks for the PM i just wrote a long reply only to find that i cant send PM`s yet as my posts are under 10, cheers m8 appreciete it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Stuart, don't let them fishes get the better of you. You know the fish are down there. It's understanding the mark. All of the above comments are true. Just believe and in time it will happen. keep posting on threads to get to the minimum 10 and then your away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks nick, im going try Swansea on sunday as that seems the best place to go down here. bought a few new lures today which i need to try, i cant wait lol.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Hi all, my 1st catch report on the forum. Not too much to report unfortunately, I spent 10 days with the family in Dawlish and managed to fish every day sometimes twice a day, in total i squeezed in 12 sessions ( which did`t go down too well with the better half):evil: even found a new mark which looks very promising, but all in all i only managed to catch 1 bass, 1 mackeral and 2 pollock all around the 1 lb mark, the bass and mackarel took a dexters wedge and the pollock fell for an artificial sandeel, im putting in the hours but dont seem to be having much luck. I think i need to do some more homework on what to look for and maybe start looking into the more modern lures you guys all rave about as im not catching much and when i do they are always small, i cant seem to catch anything over a lb. I did`t take any photos as i was waiting for something worthy of a photo but that sadly did`t happen, spirits low but will keep trying.
Don't despair and don't chase rainbows.
It will all come together but you must put your efforts into finding fish first before buying new lures etc.
There is a ton of valuable info on the forum and it's links to outside blogs etc so use them.

I think you have shown you will improve as your dedication to trying and perseverance isn't in question based on your report.
Well done I say m8.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Keith, im learning by the minute, i`ve been reading pages and pages of info from links that you guys have shared with me, i cant thank you all enough. just hope this rain and wind eases of by Sunday, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Stuart,
I have to reconmend Keith's blog, well written, groaning under the weight of hard found information he includes. I have learnt loads from it, and the 5% I have managed to put into practice has increased the number of bass I catch.
Keith is right, it can be hard at the start, but suddenly things start to click into place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts