The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Kev busts 4lb (HRF)

A short but sweet HRF session this afternoon in quite difficult conditions saw Kevin get into a very decent HRF Wrasse using the 'shake it and play dead' technique.

It was Karma really as moments earlier he'd fell over hurting his back. The Wrasse decided to take advantage of the pain !

4lb 5oz of rockfish. Nice one. Photo Keith White.

Photo courtesy of Paul B.

Kev can fill in the catch details.
Well done m8. It might catch on you know...

LOL

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Nice fish, beautiful colours and a no nonsense, shell smashing attitude. Well done.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well after a few hours out today in the company of keith, paul b and carl we headed south to try for some porky's, after the first hour or so a move was in order to try and improve our situation on the fish and lack of bites.

started getting a few taps from same piglet's nipping at the tails but no solid takes, so a quick move around the corner one wrong move later for me and arse over tit down the rocks i go landing hard on my lower back, ouch!.

anyway thankfully karma was to play her sweet little part again as second cast and second bite came this colourful beast, weighing in at 4lb-5oz (thanks paul) well it took off like a big bass rod doubled over taking about 8-10yrds of line easily on the first run, then headed off for the deep water and safety of the rocks as i could feel my fluoro leader scraping across them a few minutes later and a couple of pics the fish was recovered for several minutes to make sure it was ready to go back.

the fish was taken on an ayu xlayer, dead sticked using a diawa infeet 7ft with 15lb powershot braid with 8ft fluoro leader.

all the best

kev.

thanks for the scales and pics paul.

·
2,560 Posts
Kev, congrats again, what lb leader were you using? Paul is a dab hand at pics judging by those shots.

·
Registered
519 Posts
18lb mike, can't mess around to much when there may be a chance of something big ripping your gear through rocks etc, wouldn't go less than 15lb or so with wrasse.

kev

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am sure I read it won't catch on as they are not silver...... lol

Nice one Kev. Hope the back is ok and you are fishing again soon.

·
6,295 Posts
What a cracking picture that last one is, beautiful, that wrasse looks like its on its way to becoming a big fish, its head shape has taken on the mussel features the big ones have.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Kev!! Beauty!

·
Registered
519 Posts
thanks guy's, it was a cracking fish to say the least, great colours and fight, why anyone would choose to do anything other than take a photograph of such beautiful fish is totally beyond me.

kev

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Excellent work, Kev. Such a beautiful fish - every wrasse is different it seems. This method seems firmly established now and the myths that you can't catch wrasse by design on lures is well and truly scotched!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant report and fish Kevin, very well done indeed !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts