The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on holiday at present with the family in Exeter on a camping holiday at the Crealy Campsite and heard they had a big lake full of carp, now let me tell you I am no fresh water fisherman.

I grabbed my New Tenryu Injection and my plugging kit with some of my Fly kit and put it in the caravan as we left home, never really thought I would have a chance of using this in a lake.

Anyway the wife said I could go down to the lake yesterday evening for an hour which to be honest I wasn't that keen as I had plugging gear and not conventional freshwater kit.

I got down to the waters edge and treated it like I was fishing for mullet as I hadn't a clue about this fresh water stuff, and started to ground bait with a bit of bread to bring what ever fish to my area.

Then got my rod and reel loaded with 20lb braid, but dropped down to a 10lb leader, this wasn't the problem really as I didn't know what to put on the business end.

The water was like pea soup by the way...doh

I tied a red fluffy pellet looking fly to the leader and cast it through the bread that I put out, playing with different retrieves and different depths by changing my rod position.

15 minutes later and the rod is bent over like never before, and could clearly see now that it was to be my first double on a lure rod.

I got the Common Carp to my feet but now I had a really big problem as I had no way of landing the carp, so I had to put the rod down and grab the leader to steady the fish whilst putting my hand in the mouth to free the hook, which after a bit of time managed to do.

The carp looked well over 20lb, so I would say at a guess between 20 and 25lb in weight.

I was so excited by what had just happened, my first freshwater fish, my first double on a lure rod, my first Carp and christened my rod!

I ran back and got the wife as she had to witness this and to take photos, of which I landed a smaller one of 5lb which I finally got on the grass, I so wish now I had brought a net!!

Oh ya, the other real freshwater fisherman lake side looked at me like I was a mad man, fishing the way I was, they had rods and bite alarms and tent thingys with go go gadget beds. And had still not caught a thing whilst I was there.... Very odd, cool tho.....:)

Will add photos when I get back off holiday on Sunday night as i only have my iPad.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Nathan, Had me going with the title.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one mate! A 25lber is a proper one!!! Very good job!! :p

Reactions: Nathan Taylor

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice one Nathan! I confess I nearly spat my cornflakes out at the title!! Try carp on the fly rod, it can be great fun and I reckon i catch more than the boile/bivvy brigade as well!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning stuff Nath, are you a fresh water convert now :?: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I wish you had a quid for every one of us that got excited by that thread title! Nice fish and on an articial. Most of the bivvie boys are muppets though! Love the fact you caught when they didn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts