My local rough ground | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

My local rough ground

Discussion in 'The Learning Zone' started by {name}, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Sprat

Hello. I'm a bass fishing beginner (as in I've never caught one before) so I thought I'd put a pic up of part of an area I'm planning on starting to fish for bass this year and hopefully you lads can help me get started.

[​IMG]

The photo was taken at LW on a huge tide. Do you think this is the sort of areas I should be looking for? I know I need to try and hit the mark at low tide and fish it up as the sea floods in, what I'd like to know is when I'm working my way along the shore should I be trying to line up and fish along the the gulleys that point towards the cliffs? And if there's a kelp bed where the sea is starting to flood over it is it worth chucking a plug straight over the top and fishin over it or am I best to go either side of them and working round? Just one more question. How long should I give a spot before I move up to try the next bit.

Sorry for the extra long post. I'm trying to get as prepared as I can before I start fishing.

Any advice is always appreciated.

Andy

• Like Like x 4
  2. Striper

Looks like the same sort of ground I fish, Andy. If you're starting at low water I would fish the points, casting beyond and around the kelp fronds but also maybe drag some weedless gear through the kelp stalks. As the gulleys fill and you back up you'll obviously be fishing over the covered kelp fronds which would allow you to use very shallow divers or top-waters. Again, the weedless lures could be used in the kelp.
    Don't neglect the mark at high water, especially in darkness if you're comfortable with night fishing. Look for some threads on here concerning safety at night. If the lighter coloured rocks in the foreground are uncovered at high tide it looks like you could still reach some of the gullies and weed beds. With a better depth of water you have any of the previously mentioned options to try.
    It looks good ground to me so try and fish it at all stages of tide and in different conditions. It's easy to say but don't get disheartened if you don't catch straight away, sometimes it takes a few sessions to get the "feel" of a mark. When you do catch you'll be chuffed to bits. Learning a new mark for yourself then catching on it is a real buzz. Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bass

Looks good to me. Just plug the $h!t out of it in all conditions and state of tides and keep records of every session (including the blanks) until you find a pattern.

Edit: I'd be careful with expensive lures on that ground until you know the mark well or it could get expensive.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock Supporting Member

Brilliant post Paul. I am right now in the process of cutting and pasting low tide pictures of all my marks for your consideration..........

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sprat

Thanks very much for the replies lads. I intend to fish the mark at night. I've done plenty freezing winter night sessions for cod so I'll be fine in the dark.

Don't worry graham I've got a couple of el cheapo plugs I'm prepared to lose while I work out what is where. Wish it was time to start already. Reading this site has gave me itchy feet.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Banned

That ground looks good to me ;)

As the tide floods make sure of your exit route and if you can try to fish with a mate, it's safer and your covering twice the water

Personally I wouldn't go for "cheap" lures, stick to just a few proven lures in proven colours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Striper

Lots of anglers tend to fish the first 3 or 4 hours of the flood but rarely up and over high water. My marks at home and over at the Mull of Galloway can produce over high, especially in the dark. There's plenty of features/weed in Andy's pic that look reachable at high, well worth a shot in my view.

Don't I know it. Lost many a lure on my local patch 'til I learned the ground!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sprat

I'm prepared to lose a few lures if need be. When do you start your bass fishing Paul? I'm asking as your not far from me and I don't want to be wasting my time and lures if there's no chance at all.

9. Striper

I've had fish locally the first week in May. They may be there sooner but I normally start in May. Probably start maybe mid-April this year if the weather stays mild.

10. Sprat

That's ages away!!!!! Thanks again Paul.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Salmon

Looks lovely Andy! Actually it looks quite a lot like some of our coastline down here in Jersey. My advice to you is to get some good studs in your waders, and keep an eye on flooding gullies behind you!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Banned

It's a killer ain't it :wtcwackit:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Striper

That looks a bit like a mark where I fish the last couple of hours of the flood tide at night, it does have a little bay that seems to hold most of the fish thought. I do prefer more sand than rock when out scoping new marks

14. Pike

How do Andy,

I'm a bit further down the road from you near Redcar, it can be a bit disheartening being this far north regarding the plugging season, especially when you see people smashing decent fish on lures in January dawn sarf !!

That ground looks similar to a spot I fish with the gulleys and kelp beds exposed at low tide, I've found it more productive fishing the area where the scar meets the gulley rather than casting a plug down the middle of the gulley but everywhere can be different.

A good way of working out what sort of depth plug you can fish in a specific area is to start with your shallowest diving plug , basically something you know is very unlikely to get snagged up say a Komomo II or similar, fish that and if all seems OK, put something a bit deeper on and do the same, after that go deeper still and so on. You'll find that you'll eventually start clipping the bottom with a certain type of plug, hopefully without loosing it. That gives you a pretty decent idea of what type of lure you can use at a specific state of tide.

Also, again personally I've found that working out the state of tide when the fish may turn up is more productive that the time of day they turn up. I've caught far more bass during the day than night.

15. Sprat

I know what you mean about the lads on the channel Ben. I'm a bit confused though as there's a place north of me where bass were getting caught on bait all through December. And some this month as well.

I'm probably just trying to talk myself into going up and having a go. Havent done much fishing lately cos I've got sick of cod fishing.

16. Pike

Yeah, I think they're around all year to some degree, I've caught a few bass between January and April on bait when not specifically targeting them, I think water clarity and water temp are the things that go against us up here in the winter months but you never know, just don't sicken yourself off or a write a mark off before the odds are more in your favour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Perch

I fish further south again, around filey/scarborough and that's just the type of ground I fish. I find that water clarity is the important thing. I don't really start to catch until the water warms, late May.
    I fish shallow divers shoreliner and konomo2 but I've had great success with topwater lures (patch 100, salt skimmer and tackle house vulture) last year and they are easier to fish around the weed.
    Tide wise I find an evening high tide is ideal but agreed that differs on the different marks.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mackerel

Hi Andy , this is very similar ground to what we have in south eastern ireland. I personally would try soft plastics such as the 6 & 7.5 Lunker City Sluggo rigged weedless and weightless but if needs be with a 5-7 gram cone lead. Other lures would be shallow divijg plugs like the Ima Komomo II or Megabass X-120. Given the ground i would suggest lure colours that imitate small Pollack or Wrasse such as the Ima komomo sf-125 in ayu or a lure with a light coloured belly with a dark coloured back. In regards to areas the gulleys would be my starting point. In relation to our marks like that in ireland clarity and water temperature of around 11 degrees plus is a must maybe its the same where you are from. I would suggest having a few short sessions and writing down when you got hits , hooked fish or follows and soon you will begin to build up an idea when bass are and arent present just write it down so you wont forget it would be my advice. I wish you the best of luck and tight lines , James. PS - if you would like any help on how to build up information dont be afraid to PM me and il do my best to help

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Sprat

I'm over the moon with all this advice. Thanks again everyone.

I'm felling much more confident about having a good go this year. Last year I had no clue as to what I was supposed to do, where to go when or anything. I did get stocked up on lures though. I'll stick a couple of pics of them up when I get home if that's ok. Just to see if there's anything else you lads could recommend.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Pike

Don't get obsessed with flooding tide, the ebb can be great, especially where there are gulleys. You can also take more "risks" wading/hopping onto rocks as you know you won't get cut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2