The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received a nice little delivery Monday this week, courtesy of **** @ Mr.Fish :-D

I have taken the plunge, and got myself an LRF outfit, ready to take on the mini species. The full list of bits is;

- Varivas Violente Light Game VLL-73-S (7'3 solid tip)
- Shimano Rarenium 3000SFA (Pics Pg.3)
- Varivas Light Game Merabu PE 0.3 (not pictured)
- Triple Fish Fluro 6lb (Pics Pg.3)

- Cultiva Rock 'n Bait Ting Twin Tail 1.5"
- Owner EBI Bait
- Reins Rockvibe Shad Gold Legend 2"
- Reins Rockvibe Shad Aji King Silver 2"
- Cultiva Rock 'n Bait Ring Kick Tail 2"
- Cultiva Micro Worm Pink 1.4"

- Owner Split Shotter Hook Size 10
- Owner Split Shotter Hook Size 6
- Owner Slim Offset Hook Size 6
- Owner Float Rigger Hook Size 8

- Cultiva X-Head 1g
- Cultiva X-Head 1.5g
- Cultiva X-Head 2.5g
- Decoy Rocket Plus 1.4g
- Delalande 3g
- Zebco Lead Ball Assortment (Pics Pg.3)

Just waiting for the reel and lines to turn up, so I can get it into some action (hopefully!). Would like to give a big shout out to **** at Mr.Fish, for his time on the telephone giving advice and info on all the above. Highly recommended as usual :-D:-D

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
:wackit: :wackit: Stunning selection there Paul :clap: :clap:.

I had a waggle of those Varivas rods when i was over there, and they are absolutely amazing :p . . . . . . i dearly wanted one, but opted for my Diaflash in the end, simply as i knew i'd end-up using it on Pike, and would need a tad more backbone than the Varivas had. If i find myself doing more LRF work though, that Varivas rod is right at the top of my shopping list :D. Looking forward to your feedback when you've hooked something on it :wackit2:.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
:wackit2::wackit2::wackit2:Awesome set up there.
You will be ready to go once you get the reel.

Just out of interest ,what made you choose the 3000 size over the 2500 ?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts

A wise choice actually for LRF.

The 2500 is the same reel as the 3000. The only difference is the spool. The 3000 has 'LESS' line capacity than the 2500, as the 3000 is a Shallow Spool model. The numbering of these reels is a little confusing with that in mind. The weights of the two reels are identical.

So, for LRF, with thin PE lines, the 3000 is actually the better option of the two.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:wackit2::wackit2::wackit2:Awesome set up there.
You will be ready to go once you get the reel.

From what I have been told, the 3000 has the same body and rotor as the 2500, but the 3000 has the shallow spool, taking 'less' line, so better suited for LRF. Will see when it arrives.

EDIT: As Simon said above LOL!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Thanks for that Simon,Good job you posted that as I have my finger on the trigger for one and I do want the shallow spool etc.
I'm not totally familiar with the range set up probably because Iv'e been too busy drooling over the Daiwas.:oops::D

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I am pretty sure I was dribbling over that rod when I took Tim M into Mr Fish for the Jersey bass fest? If it is the same one, it feels incredible, a thing of beauty. Have fun with the set up over winter!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Paul,
Now that is a drop dead gorgeous LRF set up, and thank you for taking the time to take some pics. I am betting that the reel gets loaded at warp speed-Just wait until you feel the difference a real LRF rod makes. Looking forward to your catch report soon.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Some very nice kit there Paul :p

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Ooooh nice kit Paul!! Looks like Father Christmas came early for you!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers for the comments, I am actually really looking forward to getting the kit wet. I love the small scale deatail of it all. LOTS to learn (again) over the next few weeks.

Ooooh nice kit Paul!! Looks like Father Christmas came early for you!
I managed to sell 3 old rods, 3 reels that I never use anymore, which funded the new LRF outfit. Seemed to make sense to get rid of stuff I didn't use for something I will get some good use from.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice one Paul.

I went out last night and had a Pouting LRF @ Sutton Harbour (little report on my blog). Soooo much fun, just need to pick up a few more bits and I'm complete. Meet up soon yeah? If you're staying Bantham.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I am pretty sure I was dribbling over that rod when I took Tim M into Mr Fish for the Jersey bass fest? If it is the same one, it feels incredible, a thing of beauty. Have fun with the set up over winter!
That is the one we were 'admiring' Mark! Lurvely bit o' kit, I was tempted...

That is an absolutely cracking set-up you've nailed there Paul, good luck with it :D

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have a Rarenium 3000 - my spools aren't shallow?
I have both the 2500 & the 3000. The 3000 spools arent particularly shallow, it's more of a 'relative' thing.

The quoted line capacities are . . .

2500 = 0,18-290 / 0,20-240 / 0,25-160

3000 = 0,18-240 / 0,20-220 / 0,25-140 / 0,30-100

So as you can see, it's not chalk & cheese. 'Shallower' would probably be a more apt description.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts