The Lure Forums banner

My plugging cherry has been taken

990 views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Stevie Quinton 
#1 ·
Yep I lost it……at last……..caught my first ever bass on a plug on Tuesday early morning. To try & capture how I felt at the time I thought that I’d repeat the text that I sent to some friends just after I’d caught it –

“BASS BASS BASS BASS :-D :-D:-D:-D my first ever bass on a plug! Down at my normal mark on thfs ayu. have it!! Reckon 1.5lb,put back 4 another day. Shakin now from the buzz!:-D:-D:-D”

I was just thinking of moving on from where I was as there was a bit of weed around but remembered something I’d seen on one of Henry Gilbey’s dvd’s about making sure that you covered all of the water & fanning out your casts in front of you. I could see that this particular cast was across 2 gullies beneath me in the water but started the retrieve & then momentarily thought I’d got the plug stuck. Then as line started disappearing off the reel, no plug stuck, FISH ON!

Even though it was nearly 3 days ago I’m still getting excited about it now. I recall my heart beating, thinking keep the rod tip high, line tight (but not too tight) & slowly in she (??) came. Once she was within 20-30 feet she started darting left to right & the water was clear enough to see her trying to shake the plug out of her mouth. Before I started plugging this summer I’d only bait fished & never really had to ‘fight’ a fish. This was good!!

After another couple of heart stopping minutes or so she came in to where I was standing. The water was about 3 feet below where I was standing & having lost my net on my last visit had no choice but to hand line her up from the water. Phew, she stayed on! That’s it I’d caught my first ever bass on a plug!!!! Worried about keeping her in a fit state I put her in a small rockpool & went to get my forceps out. Doh!!! I’d lost my forceps somewhere. Fortunately she was not deep hooked & getting the trebles out was not too much of a problem.

A photo followed – I tried to be go all Gilbey on the photo but when its raining, with a 1 mega pixel camera on my phone & a misted up lens there was not a lot I could do. Anyway here she is……

Water Wood Tail Grass Soil

Credits :-D:

Marq – for originally showing me the mark, general advice & recommending the thfs in ayu
Mick @ Mr Fish – for selling me the lure!
Henry Gilbey – for telling me about covering the water & fanning your casts!

To give you an idea of scale that's a THFS 128mm long. No scales to hand but I reckoned it was around the 1.5lb mark, perhaps a little higher.

I then revived her at the waters edge & after letting go of her she gave her tail a couple of flicks & she was off. Seeing her swim off gave me as much of a buzz as the actual catch. I was then giving it the ol fist pump & shouting to myself like a loon for about 30 seconds in celebration. Thankfully no one else was around.

Hopefully this will be the first of many

Cheers

Toby

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Lovely report Toby, captures the excitement of the moment brilliantly. Its always a special moment connecting with your first Bass on a plug a memory that you'll keep forever. Now get back out there and keep fanning your casts then move along and repeat. Looking forward to the next report.

#11 ·
Brilliant Toby,
That buzz is what keeps us plugging. Hope you are into many many more soon.
Top work.

#12 ·
Proper congrats Toby!! First of a thousand or more I hope!! It does get easier in time so I doubt it'll be long now until you have your second! This weekend hopefully! Hope you have a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.