The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been told that over 400lb of bass were caught in nets this weekend from Gorey, I am told most were schoolies but there were some decent fish amongst them

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm depressed enough right now Alan...

Nice that the Bass were there I suppose. Mid Feb usually starts to throw the Bass on the East and SW coasts from memory.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We were on the east doing a recon both sat and sun.

Very dodgy conditions to be afloat. Brave guys but still, 400lb of Bass less again.
When they are gone, they are gone..

Shame.

I just hope it was to a 'proper' commercial and not black market fishermen.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well that news has hacked me off I really wonder why I bother some times

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Look on the bright side. Only 400 pound. Less than the few thousand pound you'd expect overall each winter as the large over-wintering shoals are targetted inshore. Also much less than that trawler got the other night.

Is there a bright side though...?

Hmmm.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sadly it's been happening up here all winter.
One skipper had to beach his 23ft boat after it was swamped by waves on saturday.
He reportedly had 1 tonne of bass and half a ton of bream on board and couldn't make it back to harbour!

Another shipped out 3.2 tonnes of bass in a container to the UK.
And this is happening every day they can get out. 600Kg per boat per day is the figures being talked about.

Bloody depressing!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
needs to stop.

and, they, the commercials, have the nerve to accuse US of ruining the overall fishing.

LOL with tears and a grimace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Netters

I have to repley to this one

Liveing in grouville by the golf course i have watched the commercial fishing out of Gorey grow year on year, more and more boats potting , longlineing, and gillnetting. somenights the whole bay is netted off, it is a miracle any fish gets in, they think they own the sea.

I know who they are, there boats ,J numbers, I have watched them netting for anything that swims, mostley ringnetting for bass and mullet, we can hear them banging the water at three in the morning.

Take a walk down Gorey pier, you wil see all the bonggos of gillnetts .

I have been fishing of the rocks at Gorey, and they have payed out gillnetts ten feet away from me, there used to be huge schooles of bass in the bay , but not any more.

Andrew parkman

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
its sad,so sad.we have netters up here but also have bass nursery areas that are expanding outwards.its breaks my heart when you try and work out how many bass could make 400lb,fuxxing sickening.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Don't even start me on nets...

Why do they have to use so many of them and so close to shore. I'm surprised the fish can get anywhere near the shore this time of year, gets better when shore netting is banned in the summer months but the boat set nets are also a mare, soooo many of them.

Our Sea Fisheries tell us that they are looking at the netting legislation and have noted the massive increase. You guys should get on to your SFC as well. Look at the angling tourism perspective as a very good argument.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
There is a new group working here in Jersey on such things.
Anyone who wants to know what is going on should be able to read the 'Scrutiny Report' either now or very soon.
There ARE people out there trying. The mistake made in the past was ignorance and individual voices. No matter how loud, we were outnumbered.

I don't recommend airing political viewpoints on open forum but I can forward details of the 'report' if people ask by PM.
I'll chase up Mr Higgins tomorrow and get a publication date. Some stuff discussed in that report will open your eyes.

However, this forum is not the right place to discuss it openly.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Chris Issacs has all the info Keith.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am looking for a F*****g good knife -- money no Object. When i am rockworming and/or wading I come across trot lines and set nets. If the trot lines are not marked I take them and bin them --- the nets I run my knife through them. Historically they are unmarked lines or nets, but i think that my and others saftey is paramount so from now on i will destroy ALL trot lines and set nets I come across. Lets put the pressure on Fishuries to stop this outdated form of shore fishing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts